Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol at 6z GFS! Clippergeddon on the 30th and on on the 6th, 996mb bomb over CAE! Nice rainer and mtns get plastered! It'll teen SE, no worries ! :(

Total snow for the clipper on the 30th. We'll have to watch this closely. But as other have stated we need to get a lot closer to the potential (minor) event to get a better idea if this can work.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=asnow24&runtime=2017012406&fh=156

45 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol at 6z GFS! Clippergeddon on the 30th and on on the 6th, 996mb bomb over CAE! Nice rainer and mtns get plastered! It'll teen SE, no worries ! :(

I know it's a model run, but in reality a  low could indeed center/move across CAE during that period but would be surprised if it were 996 or 'bombing' at that point.

Maybe, just maybe....

From RAH:

Sunday Night-Monday: The latest 00Z guidance suggests that Canadian
shortwave energy digging southward through the Upper Great Lakes and
western Ohio Valley on Sunday may dig further south/west than in
previous runs. As a result, light precipitation (and ptype issues)
may accompany the deeper /more amplified/ upper level wave progged
to track across the region Sunday night/Monday. -Vincent

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

Total snow for the clipper on the 30th. We'll have to watch this closely. But as other have stated we need to get a lot closer to the potential (minor) event to get a better idea if this can work.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=asnow24&runtime=2017012406&fh=156

lol that dry circle in NW NC that's is where BF lives, So I can see this working out!!! down slopes here from clippers 99 out of 100 :lmao:

48 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

It's nice to see a storm signal but for 95% of this board this depiction would need to improve (more south / SE). But this is way off in fantasy land...

Plus this solution has 0 support from any of the EPS ensemble members and most of the GEFS members. I bet it disappears next run. This is a mountain upslope pattern coming up for maybe about a week, rest of us go hungry.

2 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Plus this solution has 0 support from any of the EPS ensemble members and most of the GEFS members. I bet it disappears next run. This is a mountain upslope pattern coming up for maybe about a week, rest of us go hungry.

Yeah, I wouldn't look at anything on the GFS past 240. Just because they run it out to 384 doesn't mean it's worth looking at that far out. There's a reason the Euro and the CMC are only run out to 10 days.

13 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Yep, pattern change is clipperfest central for a while.  Great time to go to ski beech or sugar mountain probably.  At least we kill the torch and get into a cooler pattern. 

Down the line, GEFS swears up and down that a -NAO/AO pattern is coming in early February.  That would be nice.  I think it would be a great February if we could get something along these lines.  Seems to be getting closer too, and not moving further out in time.  Trying not to get hopeful. 

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.png

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yup, being on the western side of the eastern continental divide I can definitely tell you spirits are brighter in the Tennessee valley. It would perhaps be a good time if it pans out to go take a skiing trip. Wish you guys luck ;)

9 hours ago, cbmclean said:

For one who is still learning, what mechanism caused above-normal temps with a mean trough?

A Gulf of Alaska low or trof can do it.  Often times you won't have an eastern US trof with a GOA low, but with a strong -NAO you sometimes can because the strong eastern Canada block forces lower heights to its southwest in the Eastern US which we had in late December 2001 and virtually no cold air was around because Canada was warm due to the strong GOA low flooding Canada with warm air.  Also you can have a trof in the east but the PV is on the opposite side of the pole so no real cold source in Canada.   

EPS has really been struggling, playing catch up to GEFS with stronger AK block/ridge.  Though, GEFS might be over done.  

Below is EPS/GEFS with days 10's on the left v/s day 12's on the right.  As SnowNiner pointed about above, GEFS is all in for a blocky period in the day 8+.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.07.10 AM.png

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

He said " runs" huh, huh! Today I'm a Wolfpack fan! I'm all in for the clipper!!

AtlBacker torch map incoming 3,2,1..

This is the 5 day stretch that preceded a very wintery period...close to what the GEFS is spitting out. 

See I can hype fictional snow pattern as much as warmth.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.42.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.42.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.44.57 AM.png

In my amateur observation, I've leaned more toward the EURO op for storm specific threats and GEFS on pattern changes/recognition.  Just my memory on how GEFS has been pretty decent on long range patterns.  Here I go hyping myself up again.  But if we get what pack showed above, I think a Feb 2014 is reasonable.  Again, if, if, if. 

7 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

In my amateur observation, I've leaned more toward the EURO op for storm specific threats and GEFS on pattern changes/recognition.  Just my memory on how GEFS has been pretty decent on long range patterns.  Here I go hyping myself up again.  But if we get what pack showed above, I think a Feb 2014 is reasonable.  Again, if, if, if. 

+1

Archived