Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

Good and bad news. Pattern is really favoring a colder outlook with clipper systems and n-w flow snow for the southern Appalachian mountains. It is possible a light to moderate super clipper could occur but we won't know that until very close to the event. The bad, well, we are really washing things out this as we draw January to a close with a significant severe weather maker across the South. I believe the problem will be lack of moisture with the cold air at night. I still very much rule out late Jan and early Feb. If we can score a coop, with moisture, I still expect in to be mid Feb or after. Not the first week of the month. No way.

Give it up Wilkes..... You said the cold would not come back until the 3rd week of Feb. Now, unless something miraculous happens, you will have sorely missed that call. You can't start back-tracking now by claiming you were talking about snowfall. Be man enough to eat some crow and move on.

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

That is really what an old fashioned Southern snow used to look like!!! And there's a wedge sig out in front! She's a beaut Clark

IF that verified and that system came on in here, it would almost be impossible for it to be rain over a very large part of the Carolinas and GA and probably much of AL and Miss too. That hp is in a very nice spot.

18 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Not according to Clueless in Carrollton 

The window for snow in SC/GA is pretty small.  The in depth climo more or less shows you its 1/5-2/15 or so.  After that it starts to become much harder.  The numbers may show many big events have occurred from 2/16-3/22 or so, but in general those are spaced apart by many years with the daily records showing a marked drop off in that period.  I lived in OK for awhile and while they are pretty far south too, they are way more likely to snow from 11/25-1/5 which seems extraordinarily rare in the SE U.S.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The window for snow in SC/GA is pretty small.  The in depth climo more or less shows you its 1/5-2/15 or so.  After that it starts to become much harder.  The numbers may show many big events have occurred from 2/16-3/22 or so, but in general those are spaced apart by many years with the daily records showing a marked drop off in that period.  I lived in OK for awhile and while they are pretty far south too, they are way more likely to snow from 11/25-1/5 which seems extraordinarily rare in the SE U.S.

Yeah in my entire life of living in GA, it seems that after Feb 15 the chances for wintry precip go down dramatically. Of course on the rare occasion that we do get wintry precip after Feb 15, it is often significant like March 93. People tend to remember all the big events we had in late Feb and March and forget that those events happen so rarely.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I agree. 

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Agreed! The biggest March snow I have ever seen, in all my life, was the March 1st 2009 bowling ball! 8" here S of 85, it was great! And it had rained a ton the night before and up until about Midday! Then switch to snow! Paste bomb!

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Agreed! The biggest March snow I have ever seen, in all my life, was the March 1st 2009 bowling ball! 8" here S of 85, it was great! And it had rained a ton the night before and up until about Midday! Then switch to snow! Paste bomb!

That was a horrible storm here. It snowed 5 inches and 1/2" accumulated. I hate daytime March snows !

Just got a chance to review some of the model data from today.  Happy Hour GFS was the best.  12z wasn't bad either.  I love the PV in southeast Canada.  I love the big block in the GOA.  There isn't really much fantasy snow, but there's so much energy, if we keep getting the general 500mb look that's being depicted, we'll start to see some soon.

13 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Just got a chance to review some of the model data from today.  Happy Hour GFS was the best.  12z wasn't bad either.  I love the PV in southeast Canada.  I love the big block in the GOA.  There isn't really much fantasy snow, but there's so much energy, if we keep getting the general 500mb look that's being depicted, we'll start to see some soon.

Been out drinking again! Welcome back, positive Cold_Rain! 

14 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep...not a lot of fantasy snow to go around but GFS throwing out fantasy cold at least.  

IMG_3996.PNG

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Was that the event where 2 people were killed by CG lightning strikes in ATL.  I seem to remember hearing about that.

Not sure about that, but remember it being modeled pretty far out, 7+ days! And cutoffs from a lot to a little, was sharp! Jim Cantore was in CLT, and got a live shot of some thundersnow! 

55 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Yep...not a lot of fantasy snow to go around but GFS throwing out fantasy cold at least.  

IMG_3996.PNG

I always have a hard time translating 850 maps to surface temps - what is this showing in terms of temps below? I understand the temp gradients aspect. (And a quick nice lesson on the translation from 850 to approx surface would be most appreciated; seems to me you add 10 to 15, but not in winter?).

26 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

I always have a hard time translating 850 maps to surface temps - what is this showing in terms of temps below? I understand the temp gradients aspect. (And a quick nice lesson on the translation from 850 to approx surface would be most appreciated; seems to me you add 10 to 15, but not in winter?).

On a totally sunny day in winter you may add 10-12 and 15 in summer.  Other major factors exist though, strong warm or cold advection changes things.  Significant recent rains or drought can cause temps to end up a bit lower and higher too then the usual.  Strong winds can also allow you to mix down from closer to 800mb  

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

On a totally sunny day in winter you may add 10-12 and 15 in summer.  Other major factors exist though, strong warm or cold advection changes things.  Significant recent rains or drought can cause temps to end up a bit lower and higher too then the usual.  Strong winds can also allow you to mix down from closer to 800mb  

Thanks!

Archived