Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

But there would be surface temps in the teens at RDU. The in situ cad would work. **talking hypothetically at hour 384

In situ almost always changes to rain, but in extreme situations, like 384 GFS land, it often does work.  Even if we were to get some front end ice out of that, we'd take it!

Just now, Cold Rain said:

In situ almost always changes to rain, but in extreme situations, like 384 GFS land, it often does work.  Even if we were to get some front end ice out of that, we'd take it!

We had a situation (last year / two years back???, memory is foggy) where we were suppose to have front end ice, then jump above freezing, and have mostly rain. We started off so cold by the time the temp approached freezing the precip had ended. I'm in the mind set of -> lets get the cold air and then see what happens.    

31 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

That's how you get snow south of I-85..look at that high placement..the sad thing is when the storm finally gets here, that high will be halfway to Portugal 

wouldn't it be nice if we could get a locked in high and a really slow moving system for once? It always seems like the highs never remain in place anymore and virtually always the low is screaming along at 60 to 80mph. For once it would be nice to get one that just inched along and lasted a few days instead of a few hours. 

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

We had a situation (last year / two years back???, memory is foggy) where we were suppose to have front end ice, then jump above freezing, and have mostly rain. We started off so cold by the time the temp approached freezing the precip had ended. I'm in the mind set of -> lets get the cold air and then see what happens.    

yeah I think the last couple years, the high has headed out but there was just enough remnants of the CAD to keep us frozen.  The CADS have always had our backs the last few years.  They've always trended colder and colder...

And if CR would just take his snowshields off everybody would get their stinkin snow. 

9 minutes ago, Lookout said:

wouldn't it be nice if we could get a locked in high and a really slow moving system for once? It always seems like the highs never remain in place anymore and virtually always the low is screaming along at 60 to 80mph. For once it would be nice to get one that just inched along and lasted a few days instead of a few hours. 

+ NAO FTL!

10 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

yeah I think the last couple years, the high has headed out but there was just enough remnants of the CAD to keep us frozen.  The CADS have always had our backs the last few years.  They've always trended colder and colder...

And if CR would just take his snowshields off everybody would get their stinkin snow. 

The last time I tried to manipulate the snow shields, we had a disastrous winter.  We have to let the snow bring the shields down.

By the way, how did the Euro look?

8 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The last time I tried to manipulate the snow shields, we had a disastrous winter.  We have to let the snow bring the shields down.

By the way, how did the Euro look?

Just now, BristowWx said:

He 240 is worth keeping an eye on.  

Euro wasn't bad, but I was going to say something like, "pray over the weekend that the GFS is a better model than the Euro"  :)

GFS is much more amplified with the ridge up thru W Canada into E Alaska

For those interested, JB shows how the SOI can effect our weather in his free video today.  Well worth watching in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/weatherbellanalytics/videos/1380543615344150/

And I also found a website that shows the recent and historic SOI data:

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

1 hour ago, Lookout said:

Now that would be nice.

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Didn't have one for Sleetfest '17 at Cold_Rains and Bricks! 

Yeah that wasn't a CAD I don't think.  Just cold from the mid-west pressing down. A little late for most of us I might add.  I got a couple inches so I can't complain too much though.  If we would have had even a little wedging in that storm I think it would have made a big difference for everybody. 

8 minutes ago, fritschy said:

To bad its February 5th.

About equals the date of the biggest snowstorm ever down here (too bad it was 1899 and it may have been a once in a 500 year event, but it was a storm in February - my Great-Grandfather used to tell me stories about how the cows didn't know what the drifts on the fences were, how the cows tried to walk up the drifts and got tangled in fence wire and froze)

24 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

CMC (12z) looks good at 240! Some energy in New Mexico and some diving through Colorado, on the back side of a giant , cold high pressure!! Roll that forward 2 days, amazeballs ! 

The EPS looked good also!? Cold and troughy over the East! #EXCITED!

Is this Mack 2.0?

CMC and Euro are kind of meh.  GFS is where it's at.  18z run has a nearly perfect looking deep diving northern stream wave into the TN Valley and SE at day 9-10....snow breaking out over a lot of the SE

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Is this Mack 2.0?

CMC and Euro are kind of meh.  GFS is where it's at.  18z run has a nearly perfect looking deep diving northern stream wave into the TN Valley and SE at day 9-10....snow breaking out over a lot of the SE

Plus 540s down to the gulf of mexico, 516s digging into AL/MS!

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

CMC (12z) looks good at 240! Some energy in New Mexico and some diving through Colorado, on the back side of a giant , cold high pressure!! Roll that forward 2 days, amazeballs ! 

The EPS looked good also!? Cold and troughy over the East! #EXCITED!

Well that dreaded sun angle is going to kill it so you might as well get over it.

7 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Y'all remember last storm, and we all said , atleast we don't have to worry about cold air!??? Ahh , the good old days, when warm noses and NW trends, were nonexistent! :(

the nw trend was good for me in the last storm, started out 13 weather said Asheville would be lucky to get 1-3 and probably the low side of that and I ended up with 7 inches, Jason didn't think the storm would trend that much nw but it surely did.  He did come around the day of the storm and put Asheville in the 3-6 range, all and all Jason does pretty good I guess.  Seems there is always 98 percent of the time a nw trend to most of the storms.

13 minutes ago, fritschy said:

the nw trend was good for me in the last storm, started out 13 weather said Asheville would be lucky to get 1-3 and probably the low side of that and I ended up with 7 inches, Jason didn't think the storm would trend that much nw but it surely did.  He did come around the day of the storm and put Asheville in the 3-6 range, all and all Jason does pretty good I guess.  Seems there is always 98 percent of the time a nw trend to most of the storms.

It's kind of hard to only put 1 to 3 inches when the NWS has a winter storm warning out for you for like 5 to 7 inches.

2 hours ago, griteater said:

Is this Mack 2.0?

One problem, it's the GFS! Until others get on board, meh

Good and bad news. Pattern is really favoring a colder outlook with clipper systems and n-w flow snow for the southern Appalachian mountains. It is possible a light to moderate super clipper could occur but we won't know that until very close to the event. The bad, well, we are really washing things out this as we draw January to a close with a significant severe weather maker across the South. I believe the problem will be lack of moisture with the cold air at night. I still very much rule out late Jan and early Feb. If we can score a coop, with moisture, I still expect in to be mid Feb or after. Not the first week of the month. No way.

1 minute ago, Timothy Clyde said:

Good and bad news. Pattern is really favoring a colder outlook with clipper systems and n-w flow snow for the southern Appalachian mountains. It is possible a light to moderate super clipper could occur but we won't know that until very close to the event. The bad, well, we are really washing things out this as we draw January to a close with a significant severe weather maker across the South. I believe the problem will be lack of moisture with the cold air at night. I still very much rule out late Jan and early Feb. If we can score a coop, with moisture, I still expect in to be mid Feb or after. Not the first week of the month. No way.

As long as that coop is full of snow, I'm in!

4 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

lol, well winter is usually over by Mid Feb here so I guess winter is over here.  Maybe you folks in VA and northward will get lucky.

Archived