SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pile of energy moving in from the Pac northwest and a big storm showing up on the Euro/Ukie day 6/7 across the upper Midwest.It looks to be carving out the trof a bit further west and shoviig the SW ridge further west..No SE death ridge yet and Canada still in the icebox but we'll probably run warm 3 or 4 days till we clear the front.

Solar wind so far for the month is 434.1 km/s,tick lower than October and nowhere near September.If that solar can improve a little working with this very optimal QBO,the whole hammer might drop in my opinion.

Carry on.

14 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I am not talking about true arctic air, I'm just talking about the blocking and the models not really sending much cold air down into our area. From the GFS to the Euro the models have back off from the cold punch we should see this weekend. Maybe it will come back but the Pac NW is hurting us though.  I'm not worried just puzzled. 

Y'all aren't really looking at the details of the pattern. Just because there is ridging near Greenland doesn't mean we have strong blocking going on. We lack a PV on this side of the pole and the ridges are riding up over Canada, preventing cold air from getting there and also here. The Pacific has generally been pretty crappy, with the ridging being too far west or non-existent. The result is more ridging in the central US and no good mechanisms to generate a broad strong trough in the eastern part of North America. Also climate change seems to be really kicking in and the globe is just warm. This seems to be preventing the build up of cold air that might otherwise help induce a longer-lasting more significant pattern change.

20 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Y'all aren't really looking at the details of the pattern. Just because there is ridging near Greenland doesn't mean we have strong blocking going on. We lack a PV on this side of the pole and the ridges are riding up over Canada, preventing cold air from getting there and also here. The Pacific has generally been pretty crappy, with the ridging being too far west or non-existent. The result is more ridging in the central US and no good mechanisms to generate a broad strong trough in the eastern part of North America. Also climate change seems to be really kicking in and the globe is just warm. This seems to be preventing the build up of cold air that might otherwise help induce a longer-lasting more significant pattern change.

Enough already.  Isn't there a thread soley dedicated to this subject on the board somewhere?   

Just now, CaryWx said:

Not here no.  Too political and belongs in its place

It's just weather. Figuring out the solution is a political issue, but the *observed* increase in CO2, air and ocean temperatures isn't really up for debate, TBH. I'm not asking you to support the Paris Accords or any of that. I'm asking you to accept that it's a factor in the weather we experience. It'd be ridiculous to exclude it.

Do you think this doesn't make a difference?

tlt_update_bar_Oct2017.png

Even if you believe this is just climate cycles and nothing to do with CO2, the fact is that things *are* warm right now and have been for a few years and it doesn't look likely to let up in the near future. So given that we are in some sort of warm phase, we need to take that into consideration when evaluating patterns and forecasts, especially of the seasonal variety.

9 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Blaming it for the current transient north american weather pattern is skeptic at best.  Like I said, doesn't belong in this thread

But reading the random tea leaves from the 384 hour GFS is okay? In any case, if the whole planet is fairly warm, then we can't just blame that on a weird pattern in North America. And we can't just blame the warmth here on a weird pattern either. The level of warmth in the air and especially in the oceans is going to have an effect on our weather patterns and our temperatures. It's going to affect the jet stream and the strength of ridges. It matters.

1 minute ago, JoshM said:

Temperatures aside, the US weather for the entire 240 hours on the models is the most boring (and dry) I've seen in a long time.

La Nina baby. I'm actually surprised we've averaged below normal for November. But maybe there'll be a reload as the CFS is suggesting in the early-mid December timeframe.

Archived