• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

So much to a fast start this winter on temps.  Yes, ATL to western NC got a great event but we are running AN conus wide, completely opposite of last December through 23 days.  Yes, we will get 7 well BN days but after that its clear that warmth is winning still, not sure what can change that going forward.  It's clear the eQBO and low solar didn't impact our temps like was originally hoped. Though, I guess you could argue we would be even warmer without the e-QBO/lsolar.  Looking forward to frisbee golf after the first week of January.

cSdbV2o.png

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, shahroz98 said:

12z Euro has the NYE storm really supressed.

Cold and suppressed with another one at day 10, but it was a pretty good run with those two systems showing more wave amplification than this week's storm. Pattern remains better than average for us though it's always tough down here to reel one in 

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

Cold and suppressed with another one at day 10, but it was a pretty good run with those two systems showing more wave amplification than this week's storm. Pattern remains better than average for us though it's always tough down here to reel one in 

This is starting to get aggravating...this should produce something for someone.  

ecmwf_z500a_namer_8.png

20 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Suppression city. Cold and dry or warm and wet.

I'm a lurker who tries to learn by listening.  It seems from what some on here say that it is the west-based -NAO that is the most important for trying to avoid the "warm-up and rain" phenomenon.  Since the - NAO is basically retired now and spends it's Winters in hibernation, we get no love.

6 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Looks like we're about to go zonal fast not too soon after that pic

Definitely better then any previous runs...looks like 1" mean for that this potential back to our area with 1.5" back  to eastern NC.  0z EPS showed no precip for that event, this run showed .1.-.2" it looks like.  Would think SE of here its a solid ice event as it's now showing snow on the mean.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

The 240 image looks even better.  Of the two (Jan 1 & Jan 4), the Jan 4 system looks the best. Que the always 10 days away posters in 10, 9...

It’s always 10 days away. I’m tired of this. I’m going to get drunk. I hate everybody. Mack and Warmnose live too close to me. Tell them to move. Christmas sucks.  

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

The 240 image looks even better.  Of the two (Jan 1 & Jan 4), the Jan 4 system looks the best. Que the always 10 days away posters in 10, 9...

Well the great news is after the day 10 potential the pattern collapses so we wont be able say the 10 day line after today/tomorrow.  

From the looks it could be awhile to get out of.

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Judah Cohen's great write up about what awaits us for the rest of the winter. In summary he says the winter is at the crossroads, we're certainly flipping to mild/warm after the first week of Jan, but it's still TBD whether the flip is permanent or transient. He also sees a possibility that this winter pulls a 13-14, where numerous weak disruptions of the PV lead to a colder pattern for the east. However, he notes that the models currently support the idea that the flip will be somewhat permanent. 

13 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Judah Cohen's great write up about what awaits us for the rest of the winter. In summary he says the winter is at the crossroads, we're certainly flipping to mild/warm after the first week of Jan, but it's still TBD whether the flip is permanent or transient. He also sees a possibility that this winter pulls a 13-14, where numerous weak disruptions of the PV lead to a colder pattern for the east. However, he notes that the models currently support the idea that the flip will be somewhat permanent. 

For weeks we seem to "know" the warmth is coming in mid January but 6 days before Christmas we don't know if its going to be 60 degrees or 30. Warmth is a no doubter but cold is basically a constant "who knows". That's life on a temperate climate i suppose lol. 

3 hours ago, packbacker said:

Well the great news is after the day 10 potential the pattern collapses so we wont be able say the 10 day line after today/tomorrow.  

From the looks it could be awhile to get out of.

Funny thing is two weeks before Christmas is was supposed to be a balmy 70 yet it barely got above freezing today. What I'm saying is I wouldn't worry about two week from now when the models are having a very hard time within 120hrs. I'm sure it's going to warm up and we'll have a thaw...we live in the South, it's expected. I'm sure most of us will "cash out" before it's all said and done, though, be it early/late Jan, Feb or March.

1 hour ago, WarmNose said:

New Years storm looks like a lock. Lots of juice in the gulf Tell Brick to start the thread. Blue Turd is banned from thread initiation 

I think it was either "Lookout or WOW" who said a day or two ago if the first system was too strong it would really hurt the chances of the second system so, we wanted a weaker first system. i think the second system looked much better on the models for most of the board. Maybe that will happen and everyone can cash in their chips and get a widespread winter storm! 

For New Years, CMC has a HP moving in tandem with a low pressure system (reasonable scenario) where as GFS has a 1060 diving due south out of the plains straight into the Gulf Of Mexico. I believe the HP was still a 1042 when it hit the gulf. LOL. Just idiotic and ZERO help as a LR model. Zero 

Archived