Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

26 minutes ago, msuwx said:

If you have been catching any of my videos for the past couple of weeks, I’ve been hitting this period in the days following Christmas into the first week of 2018 as loaded with potential. Over the past week, I was saying 2 potential time periods....one later next week and one Jan 3-5. This was all due to pattern recognition.

In my opinion, that’s exactly where we still are. It’s a pattern where many of the players necessary for a Southeast winter storm or two are on the playing field. How will it all play out? Time will tell, but don’t hang emotions on every single model run. 

Finally, some complaining about it being a matter of timing. It’s always a matter of timing around here! This isn’t Buffalo. 

Bottom line, I’m excited about the pattern and feel pretty good this will work in some way for a lot of folks over the next two weeks. But we shall see. 

Unless we have a raging West based -NAO which has been hard to come by in the past few winters.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

Without being disrespectful, I feel we people here always get too excited with 1 or 2 "good" model run, like 0z last night, and easily call a "bad" run outlying. How we know that for sure? Again, not being disrespectful. I kinda have the same problem. The last night 0z GFS and Canadian gave me (in North TX) a nice ice storm next week. But both showing nothing now :(

You have the GFS which has gone from a cutter to suppressed 24 hours ago while no other model supports that solution. The GFS also has a problem of amping storms too much in the extended range and then “losing” them inside the 6 day range. It did this with the early December snow we saw and didn’t catch on until within 2-3 days out while the CMC and UK did the best. 

I know many are disappointed by the most recent 12z GFS run, but by experience, if you want any model showing this result in this timeframe, it's the GFS.

As most have said, it's so inconsistent at this point that I haven't really been paying much attention to it lately. Could it be right? Possibly, but with its' inconsistencies, I've decided to take a look at other models until it shows consistency (or even remotely close to it).

40 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

You have the GFS which has gone from a cutter to suppressed 24 hours ago while no other model supports that solution. The GFS also has a problem of amping storms too much in the extended range and then “losing” them inside the 6 day range. It did this with the early December snow we saw and didn’t catch on until within 2-3 days out while the CMC and UK did the best. 

This. Actually the GFS didn't pull the moisture back until 24 or 36 hours before game time.  It kept the moisture cutoff south of Atlanta until around the 12z on Thursday or so while the CMC stuck to its guns.  Then the RGEM went in with the kill shot.  I'd trust the CMC until she bucks, IMO.

I'll say this too, I sat in a totally unrelated meeting at GDOT last week about an I-85 incident detection/toll project and they aren't happy with the current company they have a contract with that provides GDOT with weather models and prediction.  The reason it was brought up is the small company I work for has a wide open procurement process with GDOT and we are going to represent the new company that will provide its weather modeling and forecasting for GDOT.   The company they want to use,  Meteocentre, relies heavily on weather models out of Toronto, and they were dead on with the last storm.  So GDOT will be relying on the CMC/RGEM/Ukmet for their winter forecasting starting in 2018.

10 minutes ago, FLweather said:

How the?  What the hell? Wonder how the GEM figures that? Obviously a garbage run. GL low trailing frontal boundary from MI peninsula to apps through central GA.  Screams WAA.  Rain snow line would be at least PA  or NY. 

Because the placement of the highs.  One is pushing in low level cold from the NW the second max in southern Canada just north of New York will provide the CAD from the NE.  WAA comes over the top and creates IP and ZR.  

12 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Because the placement of the highs.  One is pushing in low level cold from the NW the second max in southern Canada just north of New York will provide the CAD from the NE.  WAA comes over the top and creates IP and ZR.  

It's not that. One HP exiting stage right while one moving in still screams waa aloft and boundary layer. That's like saying the Piedmont of NC gets snow from a clipper when the s/w and surface low goes from ATL to Charlotte to GSO/Durham. 850s might support snow.  But BL temps won't.  This actually happened prior to 2010. 

13 minutes ago, FLweather said:

It's not that. One HP exiting stage right while one moving in still screams waa aloft and boundary layer. That's like saying the Piedmont of NC gets snow from a clipper when the s/w and surface low goes from ATL to Charlotte to GSO/Durham. 850s might support snow.  But BL temps won't.  This actually happened prior to 2010. 

Ehhh????

Archived