Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, packbacker said:

A couple of days ago the PV lobe that is now being modeled in south/central Canada wasn't there but the blocking down into Greenland has forced that.   Why we see that big low up in OH now.  Hopefully the OP Euro is correct.

It then swings through by day 10 setting up another ideal location in SE Canada.  It's transient though, just swings through, but sets the stage for the potential day 10 coastal.  

eps_z500a_noram_144.png

eps_z500a_noram_228.png

So many variables, i just hope to see a sleet pellet or two over the next 10 days!

Just now, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

I know one thing is for sure, SE NC is going to get rain lol. Models look warmer overnight and this morning. I guess it all comes down to how amped this system is. A middle ground between amped and weak would be perfect for many people. Why is the warm nose such a problem this time, as usual?

Euro says not so fast to the rain idea.  The GFS is way too warm and handles CAD poorly. The Euro and cmc are usually better with it but even they struggle. The NAM will be model of choice as we get in range. 

AfICL5L.png

2 hours ago, SimeonNC said:

I'm guessing the GEFS is nothing special since nobody is posting it.

6z GEFS was massive with the Jan 3-5th event.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Little warmer then 0z but generally the same.  It definitely had a big signal for the day 9-11 threat.get_orig_img.php?model=gfsens&run_time=0

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

A couple of days ago the PV lobe that is now being modeled in south/central Canada wasn't there but the blocking down into Greenland has forced that.   Why we see that big low up in OH now.  Hopefully the OP Euro is correct.

It then swings through by day 10 setting up another ideal location in SE Canada.  It's transient though, just swings through, but sets the stage for the potential day 10 coastal.  

Well if we have to rely on timing for it then we are screwed. :unsure:We know how transient usually works out for us.

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

If the storm is still showing after the 12z runs, we need to create a thread. All the talk/focus is currently on next week but it's looking like we have a legitimate threat at day 9. It'll start getting real confusing from this point onward.  

I just worry bc this storm end of next week was the legitimate threat at 9 days a couple days ago, with good ensemble support. Most def not off the table. I’m pretty sure you’ve had some decent luck in the past, although LilJ is 1/1 this year lol. Screw it let’s do it. 

11 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

If the storm is still showing after the 12z runs, we need to create a thread. All the talk/focus is currently on next week but it's looking like we have a legitimate threat at day 9. It'll start getting real confusing from this point onward.  

Its already getting confusing on the snow maps

13 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I just worry bc this storm end of next week was the legitimate threat at 9 days a couple days ago, with good ensemble support. Most def not off the table. I’m pretty sure you’ve had some decent luck in the past, although LilJ is 1/1 this year lol. Screw it let’s do it. 

Done: https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50658-the-snow-sleet-and-freezing-rain-oh-my-dec-27-29-thread/ Hope I got the dates right:unsure: Lol. 

Some of you youngsters keep saying a multi day event is not likely but I will tell you that we had a few of these in the late 70’s and early 80’s.  In Jan 82 we had the Air Florida storm.  Started on Tuesday afternoon and ended on Thursday afternoon.  We got 8” in upstate.  There was also one in February of 80.  BTW Feb 1980 is still coldest avg temp Feb on record at GSP culminating in March 1 blockbuster. 

Archived