• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

I may not be able to get online and chase the last 2 legs of the Triple crown (no power) lol, for now.

I haven't seen surface cold, 2m this cold for a winter storm here since 12/2002. Its plain as day with the strength, location and origin of these forecasted big blocking HPs that the models are to warm this far out. Their biases as well as just looking at the dps make it obvious to anyone whos been around this hobby long enough know that come kickoff time you can shave a minimum of 3 -5 degrees off what they are forecasting. Hopefully snow and ip can save the day mby. But it's fixing to go from red flag to little concerning for some folks somewhere on this board if the qpf doesn't come down a bit. When you get miller Bs theirs gonna be ice somwhere. 99 times out of 100 the transition line is way wider than a Miller A and even just plain ole over runing events. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I may not be able to get online and chase the last 2 legs of the Triple crown (no power) lol, for now.

I haven't seen surface cold, 2m this cold for a winter storm here since 12/2002. Its plain as day with the strength, location and origin of these forecasted big blocking HPs that the models are to warm this far out. Their biases as well as just looking at the dps make it obvious to anyone whos been around this hobby long enough know that come kickoff time you can shave a minimum of 3 -5 degrees off what they are forecasting. Hopefully snow and ip can save the day mby. But it's fixing to go from red flag to little concerning for some folks somewhere on this board if the qpf doesn't come down a bit. When you get miller Bs theirs gonna be ice somwhere. 99 times out of 100 the transition line is way wider than a Miller A and even just plain ole over runing events. 

This brother.  IP saved me once a few years back as points just a few miles southeast of my position had heavy zr.  Maybe even CR's locale

5 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

You right about that.  From Charlotte to RDU to Fayetteville look like ground zero for a bad icestorm. Just looking at the overall pattern looks similar to Jan of 2010. More of a a/b hybrid with some overrunning 

Screenshot_20171223-001732.png

Screenshot_20171223-001752.png

Just now, CaryWx said:

This brother.  IP saved me once a few years back as points just a few miles southeast of my position had heavy zr.  Maybe even CR's locale

Yea I don't think most of us mine .25 freezing rain or less. But once you start aproaching .5, trouble begins to brew and by.75 it grows exponentially. 

I've first hand expierenced those insane freezing rain maps. Over a inch of freezing rain with surface temp hovering  at 22 degrees. It will alter your lifestyle for a while no doubt, over a week with no power and then the cleanup from timber damage the following weekends. Hopefully we can wiggle out of that dilemma and get the better goods snow or sleet. By the way if over 3 inches qpf fail on the gfs as sleet,that would be like 9+ inches. Can you imagine that. Wonder what the all time record max for sleet is?

Yea. Both 0z GFS and Canadian give some good stuff. But the timing and magnitude seems very different between those two. For where I am (Dallas, TX), Canadian shows a crippling ice storm that is way earlier and more significant than GFS. Not sure how "good" this run is considering they are also very different from previous ones...

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

I would assume it would be something like the GFS spitting out a crazy solution (like tonight's 0z) then the EURO coming in and basically showing "Um, no. That's not going to happen." lol

That would be correct. Back in the day you would see the GFS show a favorable winter weather solution then Euro comes in and says nope not happening. It doesn’t seem to be the case now as the GFS is more on par with the Euro now and the Euro isn’t what it used to be since the “upgrade.”

I would assume it would be something like the GFS spitting out a crazy solution (like tonight's 0z) then the EURO coming in and basically showing "Um, no. That's not going to happen." lol

I think that was around the time if the GFS had snow in the 5-7 day range everyone just pointed and laughed, but if the Euro showed that same thing everyone on the boards ran out to buy a snow shovel....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Well if the doc shows a GFS solution, I'm ordering a generator...

(I don't think it will, though.)

You can count me in for staying up as well. Seeing how this is gonna play out for our area man. Peeps that reported on the Dr No are right too. I was on the original Eastern US Weather board before we became American Wx, so I know Mappy and a lot of the OG’s from there that are prevalant on the Mid Atlantic forum. Anyhow, I do believe Euro will be better than 12z.

16 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

e15 gives me 12”... combine that with .25” ZR from the CMC and I am going to be in the dark

I hate doing it.  Really do. 

I'm the Grinch before Christmas. But given the setup....  Not as a new episode of what the models show. But given the setup.  Hope you don't have your hopes up too high.  Climo is against you and just about every model run possible depicting this setup.  I truly hope I'm wrong hope you see token flakes.  But I give you about 10% chance of seeing the first glaze or flake.  

Sorry.  Even though we are being shown a suppressed pattern.  We are not dealing with a very potent shortwave that caused Feb 08?? I think it was 08. Supper suppressed pattern and strong sw diving through south AL GA  SC. 

On another note... a few years back I read a topic that burger put together about model run times, what to look for on the panels, etc. I looked and couldn’t find it. ( though I might have been searching incorrectly ) If a mod could pin it as I can see site traffic jumping if the trends keep showing up and word of this potential ice/snow event hits the general populace...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

You can count me in for staying up as well. Seeing how this is gonna play out for our area man. Peeps that reported on the Dr No are right too. I was on the original Eastern US Weather board before we became American Wx, so I know Mappy and a lot of the OG’s from there that are prevalant on the Mid Atlantic forum. Anyhow, I do believe Euro will be better than 12z.

Yep I was on EUSWX and even WWBB (Wright-Weather BB) before that.

The "king" has been pretty inconsistent since that big 12z 12/20 run.

1 minute ago, FLweather said:

I hate doing it.  Really do. 

I'm the Grinch before Christmas. But given the setup....  Not as a new episode of what the models show. But given the setup.  Hope you don't have your hopes up too high.  Climo is against you and just about every model run possible depicting this setup.  I truly hope I'm wrong hope you see token flakes.  But I give you about 10% chance of seeing the first glaze or flake.  

Sorry.  Even though we are being shown a suppressed pattern.  We are not dealing with a very potent shortwave that caused Feb 08?? I think it was 08. Supper suppressed pattern and strong sw diving through south AL GA  SC. 

The coastal plain of South Carolina sees accumulating snow about once every decade.  February 2010 and 1973 are basically what gives places like Orangeburg a minor snowfall "average".  I'm sure the median is 0" annually.  Crazy things can happen, about once every 20 to 30 years.  

Archived