Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Cue WOW and or Grit and or Lookout, and or Snowgoose, to be voices of reason or join the celebration!

Not home right now but just glancing at things..looks mighty wintery for cad areas pretty soon and maybe for an extended time. 

17 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Man what a GFS run that was... I haven't seen runs spit out like this since the winter of 2010/2011.

Lol...yeah that run is something else and in general pretty encouraging trends for fans of everything that isn't  cold rain. 

The lack of overall consistency among all the models and questions around over all totals is really what is keeping my excitement down a bit though..but no denying the potential. 

I'm  hoping these wedges can be strong enough to reach areas hit hard by the snowstorm around atlanta because it would make for a truly memorable and special winter..one that is rarely scene in ga.  Imagining some areas of georgia getting 6 to 12 inches of  snow followed by not one but maybe several other winter storms in the following weeks is really incredible. 

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Seeing 5” mean from CLT to the triad on the 18z GEFS through day 8.  Got that Feb 2014 look.  Snow mean extends much further south.  2” to ATL and CAE.

The Feb 14 storm was stupid and sucked down here! I hope I never see anything like that dumpster fire again! 2" of sleet! After being modeled by euro to get 20" a day out! I'd love a good ice storm , like modeled on the 18z GFS, if I know that's the best I can get!

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The Feb 14 storm was stupid and sucked down here! I hope I never see anything like that dumpster fire again! 2" of sleet! After being modeled by euro to get 20" a day out! I'd love a good ice storm , like modeled on the 18z GFS, if I know that's the best I can get!

Well if a model is printing out 10”+ for us then we know that will be ice with this potential event.  Anything amped we will be sleet/frzn.  

I am at a loss of words for this setup. The back and forth constant blood pressure rises is going to induce a heart attack. I know the GFS is known to lose storms at some point, but does it have any support with this? I think someone said earlier the Canadian had a good overrunning setup showing for the same time frame. 

1 minute ago, CummingGaSnow said:

How do you figure? To my eyes it shows Macon and Atlanta in the mid 30s or so and Birmingham in the mid 40s. Even my area 40 miles N of ATL is borderline.

GFS modeled surface temps in this set up are useless. Look at the surface pressure map, and mid-level temps. Going off those maps... this would be ice for the cities I mentioned, 100% guarantee'd.

Just now, Met1985 said:

Exactly! I would be extremely weary of any solution this far out. People forget that the GFS was horrible in the early December snow storm...

This excitement here is due to the wide goal posts we have for a winter storm next week. Lots of possible scenario's being spit out that give us a winter storm. We don't necessarily have to thread a needle this time. If you look at all the ensemble members, the majority of them are giving some type of CAD winter storm over that 3 day stretch, even if they are arriving at that storm in different ways. IE-first wave is suppressed but the next wave delivers the goods, or vice versa.

4 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

GFS modeled surface temps in this set up are useless. Look at the surface pressure map, and mid-level temps. Going off those maps... this would be ice for the cities I mentioned, 100% guarantee'd.

Gotcha. I was wondering where you were getting that from. My local news has highs in the mid to upper 40s wed through friday with rain and even mentioned we would be in a wedge. That really is laughable.

31 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Not home right now but just glancing at things..looks mighty wintery for cad areas pretty soon and maybe for an extended time. 

Lol...yeah that run is something else and in general pretty encouraging trends for fans of everything that isn't  cold rain. 

The lack of overall consistency among all the models and questions around over all totals is really what is keeping my excitement down a bit though..but no denying the potential. 

I'm  hoping these wedges can be strong enough to reach areas hit hard by the snowstorm around atlanta because it would make for a truly memorable and special winter..one that is rarely scene in ga.  Imagining some areas of georgia getting 6 to 12 inches of  snow followed by not one but maybe several other winter storms in the following weeks is really incredible.

I hope I'm not jinxing things by saying this but usually my area does well in strong wedges, so to go from an 8" snowstorm to a possible icestorm in about 3ish weeks time would be incredible!

Archived