Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Give me 3 inches of IP topped off with a little freezing rain followed by 4 days of temps in the 30's then I'll take this Miller A and we can crank the SER and call it a winter 

image.png

Again, It's always at the end of the run. The GFS feels like . . .

Oooh, you almost had it . . .

9vhqj.jpg.972ec3ab47e9d47e3f00e0b932e08bd0.jpg

15 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

10 Day GEFS Mean. Didn't want to go out too far as to try to just cover the first possible upcoming winter storm.

gefs_snow_mean_nc_41.thumb.png.5d6abdbea46560978cc86e9d3a1e98bc.png

Everyone needs to know too that these GEFS snowfall maps don’t factor out ice... so a lot of this is actually ice instead of snow. Still a good signal for a widespread ice storm imo. 

1 hour ago, snowlover91 said:

CMC ensembles are AMAZING for the Southeast if you like snow and ice, especially NC. Check them out here.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/ensemble-forecasting.php?lang=en&map=na&run=00&mod=cmc_geps&stn=PT&stn_type=postagestamp&display=img&hh=132

Interesting to note Alot of those members show a very icy and snowy Texas to North Carolina Virginia at some point in time. Another interesting note the chaos begins in another 5 days or so.?!

6 minutes ago, StormLookout said:

12z GFS: Things have shifted south, ridge is also weaker/flat over the south. May have a much southern solution on this GFS OP run.

That is good for us in North GA right? Also, I don't know if you read FFC's morning discussion but they're already talking of a possible strong wedge with winter mischief. This far out with a high in the mid 40s spells big trouble.

The ECMWF is building quite a strong wedge in place for Thursday
night into Friday. The GFS also has a pretty decent wedge in place,
but is a little slower with the coastal low development. The cold
air wedge could potentially cause a wintry mix across far northern
GA. It is still seven days out and the forecast will likely change,
so all interested parties should continue to monitor the forecast.

I have a question though, why do they say only far northern GA could get winter precip when we know the wedge sends the coldest temps into the LOWER elevations of east GA. Is it just their conservatism saying that?

It looks like all the models are in pretty tight agreement now... weak wave with ample CAD. I'll take it... I would much rather hope for wetter trends over the next 3 or 4 days than having to hope for a colder trend.

If things happen as usual, we should see the consensus weak wave transversing west to east on all the models start to dig a little more as we approach the vent. Hopefully just enough to give a nice winter storm for everyone in CAD areas.

Also with this scenario, should be mainly snow for NC, with surface temps in the low to mid 20's.

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

It looks like all the models are in pretty tight agreement now... weak wave with ample CAD. I'll take it... I would much rather hope for wetter trends over the next 3 or 4 days than having to hope for a colder trend.

Yes sir. We can buy moisture with all the water around us but not more cold air, usually. 

10 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

That is good for us in North GA right? Also, I don't know if you read FFC's morning discussion but they're already talking of a possible strong wedge with winter mischief. This far out with a high in the mid 40s spells big trouble.

The ECMWF is building quite a strong wedge in place for Thursday
night into Friday. The GFS also has a pretty decent wedge in place,
but is a little slower with the coastal low development. The cold
air wedge could potentially cause a wintry mix across far northern
GA. It is still seven days out and the forecast will likely change,
so all interested parties should continue to monitor the forecast.

I have a question though, why do they say only far northern GA could get winter precip when we know the wedge sends the coldest temps into the LOWER elevations of east GA. Is it just their conservatism saying that?

I would say they are being conservative. Glad to see another metro Atlantan....was thinking everyone on here was from NC lol 

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

The GFS is so useless. 

it sure is. I was concerned that this system would be much flatter/drier based on the other models and it seems the gfs finally caught a clue there but good grief the differences at the surface and aloft from one run to the next are just past the point of comical. Just compare the 500mb maps between this run and the last one/several. it's incredible. I think you could be blind folded and throw darts and be just about as accurate as the gfs at this range. 

1 minute ago, Justincobbco said:

I would say they are being conservative. Glad to see another metro Atlantan....was thinking everyone on here was from NC lol 

Nope, there's quite a few of us in here lol. We just don't get out as much cause we don't get as much action. But the main North Georgian I look for input from is Lookout. He's the man when it comes to deciphering models and he has TONS of knowledge when it comes to winter weather and the wedge. You actually also have quite a few people from Cobb Co. that post in here. You are not alone my friend lol.

1 minute ago, WarmNose said:

Meh

Maybe it isn't a good run for your back yard but for those who live in that 6" zone they'd be pretty happy with it. CMC is similar so it appears the idea of a weak first wave with ample cold is going to be what we see, the key is just the track and strength of the vort now.

Archived