Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Just now, CaryWx said:

I do feel the models beginning to narrow this and somewhere in the SE will score.   What happened to the SER from earlier?  :)

It definitely seems that beating down the SER as we get closer in time is the pattern this winter. A very good pattern for us farther east :)

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason this thing was better than the 18z GFS was more favorable confluence out in front of it and a weaker vort. This prevented ridging in front of our storm to keep it from cutting as far west. Still some improvements to be made and hundred of different scenarios to come. Suppression is also a concern (i.e. the Canadian), but I'd much rather see things suppressed this far out, rather than walking the fine line of the GFS. 

2 minutes ago, Disc said:

The main reason this thing was better than the 18z GFS was more favorable confluence out in front of it and a weaker vort. This prevented ridging in front of our storm to keep it from cutting as far west. Still some improvements to be made and hundred of different scenarios to come. Suppression is also a concern (i.e. the Canadian), but I'd much rather see things suppressed this far out, rather than walking the fine line of the GFS. 

Agree. Just from the battle scars alone I'd rather see suppression in LR models now and continue a non-believer until the NAM tells me it's true.  :) 

Not sure how I feel about this ice deal, but it's been a while fellas. We are way overdue for a tree trunk snapping ice storm. My stomach is in knots now thinking about the trees that envelope my house. I can remember in 2000 the sound of trees snapping and falling onto my roof and one branch actually falling off and hitting my chimney shaking the whole house. Pretty scary night 

7 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

Would the suppressed version of this mean a slider, giving NC/VA border-ish snow? Or just a more southerly start for an apps runner/Miller B...and it’s ice for the Piedmont either way.

A more suppressed storm would allow more snow for the NC/VA border region. If it too suppressed, we get little to none. The Miller B scenario allows for more WAA advection aloft to work its way over top of low level cold, which means more ice. Ideally, for you, the 12z GFS run is the best case scenario so far. 

There will be ice regardless in this type of setup, but depending on where the low tracks will determine how much snow and ice you receive. Further west = more ice. Further south and east = more snow. If too far south = nothing.

If this hits the SE with snow while I am up in Michigan and all we get is cold and dry here, I will not be a happy camper.

Haven't seen more than 1.5 inches of pure snow fall in any one event since January/February 2015 (I have spent 9 weeks of my time in Michigan during winter during that time). I've seen a lifetime worth of sleet in Chapel Hill, however.

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I fully expect a cold rain on both systems!! Like Friday the 13th, fear the cutter! :(

Not with a 1045mb and wedging going apesh** with that look. The GFS has a classic CAD signature and its thermal structure to too stupid to recognize it's showing a classic GA/Carolina Ice Machine

Archived