Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

^ I was just about to post the same thing.  Big difference between the op eure and it's ensembles and the gefs. Op euro shows a nice east Tennessee snowstorm Christmas day.

Seeing chatter on twitter about the potential typhoon giving the models headaches.  Is this the what they are talking about...GFS has a sub 900mb typhoon day 7 and euro has vritually nothing?  :huh:

gfs_z500_mslp_wpac_29.png

ecmwf_z500_mslp_wpac_8.png

5 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

The 384hr GFS had it at 910mb or something a week ago. I wonder what's going on. 

No idea.  That is a pretty big feature to be on one model and nearly absent on another.   I would imagine that is either correctly or incorrectly impacting indices that are calculated for that part of the Pacific.  

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Seeing chatter on twitter about the potential typhoon giving the models headaches.  Is this the what they are talking about...GFS has a sub 900mb typhoon day 7 and euro has vritually nothing?  :huh:

gfs_z500_mslp_wpac_29.png

ecmwf_z500_mslp_wpac_8.png

I honestly have no idea. I'm sure it is impacting the EPO ridge axis. Hopefully that ridge does not setup too far west.

37 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Checkout the difference between the 12z and 0z run of the eps valid 7am Christmas morning. 

Striking image here on the EPS...10-15 day 850mb temperature average.  Look at where all of the cold air is located across the northern tier and into Canada compared with the rest of the northern hemisphere.  In spite of that, there's no guarantee we see a good chunk of it without the right 500mb pattern.

R12KKF4.png

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Why isn't the CAD on the GFS showing stronger? Doesnt make since.... the pattern is saying ICE Storm but its just a cold rain.

Even the CMS has a huge 1046 high in the mid-west (day 8); which then has a low push towards/into it from the south. Again, model changes upcoming (good or bad). 

24 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Why isn't the CAD on the GFS showing stronger? Doesnt make since.... the pattern is saying ICE Storm but its just a cold rain.

CAD is almost always underdone, especially this far out. Models have a very tough time with it in the short range, let alone 10 days away. I would not get caught up in the details right now -- Just know that the pattern supports a storm around Christmas. 

Like Grit stated earleir, the goods are there to had. It all comes down to the 500mb pattern we get dealt that will answer the question of what exactly we get dealt in sensible weather. Right now if you read webber and think big picture,what happens out in the east pacific affects the 500 mb pattern over NA . GFS is way off in that part of the world, so the trickle down or domino effect changes alot of variables down stream for our part like rosby waves and stuff way over my head. There are some constants that look bonified heading into last week of DEC / early Jan. Main one being is the core of  cold being on our side of the globe. Rare past few seasons I know, but the good news is its there to be had and hopefully we can get the right path established to get it in our back yards. I'd trust euro and it's ens espeacilly. Trends on that model next several days will answer alot of questions.

Sure, the GFS and CMC are different, but they both have an absolutely behemoth of a blowtorch for Christmas Eve and Day (especially day as of 12z). I don't think there's a way around that. We've been getting a run here and there that throw us a bone but I think that SER will persist (it's been modeled strong more often than weak) and would expect the EURO to revert back to a warmer solution today and beyond.

Just now, Jonathan said:

Sure, the GFS and CMC are different, but they both have an absolutely behemoth of a blowtorch for Christmas Eve and Day. I don't think there's a way around that. We've been getting a run here and there that throw us a bone but I think that SER will persist (it's been modeled strong more often than weak) and would expect the EURO to revert back to a warmer solution today and beyond.

When alls said and done, Christmas temps will be below normal in the Carolinas, IMO 

Archived