Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Thanks, Chuck!

Just looked at the latest GFS run.  I've seen much worse.  Yeah, the ridge pops up for a few days, but it looks like it gets shoved back down shortly after.  There are various opportunities for snow and ice, although the model isn't showing a major storm this run.  I thought it was going to look like some unmitigated disaster.  The runs the other day were much worse.  You guys.

1 minute ago, StormchaserChuck said:

My point is, with this tendency and awesome Stratosphere warming happening through December, the -NAO could be extreme this Winter. 

Yeah man...it was just a little 96 hour GFS banter. :)  Hopefully, that pans out and we the the storm track suppressed.  If that happens and we keep the tendency for the -EPO, we'll be in really good shape.

8 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Nice Good Ole Fashioned Traditional Christmas: upper 30s and Cold Rain:

[IMG]

See if EPS keeps its step down colder trend up: Good news is the SER is getting beat futher and futher down each cycle: Only jabs and no knock out Blow. But Torchmas is seeming less and less likely. 

jab after jab to the SER is wearing it down, it is only a matter of time before it gets TKO’ed

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

Nice Good Ole Fashioned Traditional Christmas: upper 30s and Cold Rain:

[IMG]

See if EPS keeps its step down colder trend up: Good news is the SER is getting beat futher and futher down each cycle: Only jabs and no knock out Blow. But Torchmas is seeming less and less likely. 

Still time to go either way, with temps!! Santa likes it ICY.............................

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

Is that the Yo-Yo MA forum? They normally favor a classical approach to meteorology with occasional dalliances into the eclectic.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

I remember the day Yo-Yo-Ma was walking down the street in the hood and ran into two brothers.  One he knew and one he didn't.  The conversation went like this.

1st dude: Yo, Yo-Yo!

Yo-Yo: Yo.

2nd dude: Yo-Yo?

1st dude: Yo, Yo-Yo.

2nd dude: Yo, Yo-Yo.

Yo-Yo: Yo

You don't want to hear the conversation the day they all brought their Duncan's.

Downward trend on temps for Raleigh by end of EPS...hopefully that keeps plummeting to start the new year. 

RAH is -1.5F through 14 days of Dec.  We look to be slightly BN the next couple of days and then we have a week where are looking at +10F departures.  If the EPS/GEFS is correct then RAH will be roughly +2F through Dec 25th.  We would need some serious cold the last week of December to get BN for the month.  There's a chance.

KRDU_2017121512_forecast_EPS_360.png

25 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I dunno about Christmas week but I swear it feels like it could snow at any minute here in the Triad.  It feels colder than our snow event last week.  Brrrr!!

Nobody wants a torchmas like Pack just posted so lets hope the trends remain our friend as we head inside of the 240 mark.  

I was just going to say, this is one of the colder Decembers in my recent memory. We (I) stay caught up on future weather and disregard the fact that it actually feels like December outside.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Downward trend on temps for Raleigh by end of EPS...hopefully that keeps plummeting to start the new year. 

RAH is -1.5F through 14 days of Dec.  We look to be slightly BN the next couple of days and then we have a week where are looking at +10F departures.  If the EPS/GEFS is correct then RAH will be roughly +2F through Dec 25th.  We would need some serious cold the last week of December to get BN for the month.  There's a chance.

KRDU_2017121512_forecast_EPS_360.png

I am honestly surprised that we are only 1.5 F below normal .  Seems like it has been pretty chilly this December.  Seems almost impossible to get a solidly BN winter month these days.  Could be worse though.  Remember 2015.  

Dreaming of snow on December 25? Well, here's the latest 8-14 day temperature forecast from the Climate Prediction Center. If a system brings moisture to the Southeast, it would fall as all rain as temperatures are forecast to be above normal.

GSP seems awfully confident in only rain... I wonder if they are as confident about that as they were about the mountains only getting an inch of snow?

4 hours ago, Orangeburgwx said:

jab after jab to the SER is wearing it down, it is only a matter of time before it gets TKO’ed

Nope. My opinion it goes nowhere even with the huge negative EPO.  PNA looks neutral at best so cold centers on southern plains. Need the PNA positive or NAO negative (which I've given up on a negative NAO) to benefit in the Carolina's or Georgia. We may can time a cad and get ice but imo a snowstorm is out for the remainder of 2017.

3 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Nope. My opinion it goes nowhere even with the huge negative EPO.  PNA looks neutral at best so cold centers on southern plains. Need the PNA positive or NAO negative (which I've given up on a negative NAO) to benefit in the Carolina's or Georgia. We may can time a cad and get ice but imo a snowstorm is out for the remainder of 2017.

I'm afraid this map is accurate with the what the tellies show.

Screenshot_20171215-184426.png

Archived