Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, nam0806 said:

To say this in absolute terms is ridiculous.

With model to model discrepancy and the changes from run to run, I wouldn’t be so sure, at least yet.

Id have to see a little more consistency and a little more consensus before speaking in such absolute terms.

Im not saying I agree with you or disagree, just let’s wait a bit before making such declarations, especially with less than ideal consensus. Remember, this is still days away, and things can (and inevitably) will change. 

What I said about the ensembles is, as of today, "absolutely" true. But yes, of course differing solutions will pop up between now and then. I'm just not banking on a wall to wall cold, stormy December. We really need the -EPO, -QBO and +TNH to drive the pattern, not the Nina. Not to mention the MJO looks to go into the cold zones 8-1. I guess that means there's at least a possibility we stay cool for awhile, but I think we all know deep inside it's "due" to get warm soon based on recent history.

18 minutes ago, nam0806 said:

I don’t pick up on sarcasm well, especially on the Internet. ;)

Still valid points regardless.

First part was sarcasm, yes. :P

4 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Then again he could be dead serious.  Seems hung up on that frisbee/disc Christmas golf and all lately.

No no, that's pack. :lol: I play "real" golf...although I've always wanted to try disc golf.

I'm afraid December is gonna mock November. AN 1st and last week of month. Still will average out BN ,Normal at worst.. But the rythym of the pattern is hard to ignore. Hope we aren't AN for hollidays for 3rd year in a row. Ensembles will tell the tale. Don't like the trend on EPS last couple runs. See how it shakes out next few days. 

And let's all hope this weak la Nina doesnt become driver of pattern. If so, that usually doesn't bode well 2cnd half winter ,unless you get the wildcard EPO to pull a rabit out of hat and save the day.

13 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I'm afraid December is gonna mock November. AN 1st and last week of month. Still will average out BN ,Normal at worst.. But the rythym of the pattern is hard to ignore. Hope we aren't AN for hollidays for 3rd year in a row. Ensembles will tell the tale. Don't like the trend on EPS last couple runs. See how it shakes out next few days. 

And let's all hope this weak la Nina doesnt become driver of pattern. If so, that usually doesn't bode well 2cnd half winter ,unless you get the wildcard EPO to pull a rabit out of hat and save the day.

yeah... but what are the chances of that happening, I think this is going to be a bust

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

I don't think we, NC/SC/GA will average BN for December, EPS/GEFS solidly agree that we are AN starting this Saturday for atleast the 10 days following.   This is what GEFS thinks we are at a week from now (thanks for the link Grit).

I will have to look but I can't recall a solid weak, approaching mod nina, that was BN in February.  Let's hope January we can keep the -EPO going and mute that SE ridge.

ANOM2m_fcstMTH_ntham.png

2 hours ago, PackGrad05 said:

I was getting ready to post that the GFS op didn't have much ensemble support...  still looks cold (colder) on the ensembles.

Just looking at the operationals models compared to the 5 day mean anomalies.  Hard to say if there is much support for  SE ridge with the huge anomalies. Shows pretty much a zonal flow. Depending on which side of the shortwave troughs you are on. Don't think we will see huge flucations in temps.  Near normal to slightly BN till Christmas at least. Maybe a day or two above normal aka Indian summer  No major ridge or torch I don't think.  

9 hours ago, StormchaserChuck said:

Ice storm less likely. Models at 500mb are mirroring 10mb Stratospheric warming, in closer term it will likely be +PNA / -NAO, snowstorm setup because that is how these things trend. 

Chuck hitting the eggnog early this year! :)  Hope you're right, sir.  Thanks for stopping by!

I'm highly confident at a minimum we will get another 10 to 14 day stretch, most likely in January to score a few times. That January 2000 ten day stretch comes to mind. It was a la nina. Not saying well get a crusher, but a lengthy 2 week window to pop the champagne on more than one occasion from overruning events. It would be blind squirell luck to get a NS energy to drop into left over boundry and phase like crusher, but those where some nice hits before and after that big storm. 

Well you would think at the least we would cool down for a day or two after a big conus cutter...we got that to look forward to I guess.

Plus, it's not easy to go this many winter (DJF) months in a row of AN temp departures, something has to give eventually.  This has the chance to be the 7th Dec in a row of AN temp departures.   That's got to be a record.

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Well you would think at the least we would cool down for a day or two after a big conus cutter...we got that to look forward to I guess.

Plus, it's not easy to go this many winter (DJF) months in a row of AN temp departures, something has to give eventually.  This has the chance to be the 7th Dec in a row of AN temp departures.   That's got to be a record.

We need some stratosphere and solar and QBO updates while we’re waiting.

I wish NC_Hailstorm would come in here and tell us what’s up, but he’s nowhere to be found!

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

We need some stratosphere and solar and QBO updates while we’re waiting.

We need the strat, QBO and a recurving typhoon to save this mess.

Quickly looked...since winter 2015 we have had 1 BN winter month, 1 neutral and 7 AN, well AN in most cases.  Law of averages say we should be cold with a 10" snow pack in Jan/Feb.

I think the next decade we see this flip...

ZoLpLJb.png

Long time lurker, first time poster. I think I've seen it listed before, but is there a good reference page to get the theoretical "sweet spot" for the SE when looking at the indexes? I see where Cold Rain lists the picts but sometimes I'm not sure if the picts are positive or negative. LOL! 

29 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We need the strat, QBO and a recurving typhoon to save this mess.

Quickly looked...since winter 2015 we have had 1 BN winter month, 1 neutral and 7 AN, well AN in most cases.  Law of averages say we should be cold with a 10" snow pack in Jan/Feb.

I think the next decade we see this flip...

ZoLpLJb.png

I'm banking on the next maunder minimum lol. I'm hoping the correlation b/n the last sunspot long-term min and colder winters bears fruit again in the 2020's and 2030's.

Archived