Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

31 minutes ago, griteater said:

Man, the more detailed maps come out later, but the UKMet looks more like the CMC.  Both of those are digging the northern stream wave more SW than the GFS, into New Mexico and picking up more of the energy hanging around there across northern Mexico...but UKMet shows a nice wave that slowly comes out with sfc low off the SE coast.

You get hold of these yet? Away from computer and Clint Eastwood hasnt shown up at lunch today like he normally does to spill the euro/ukmet goodies.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

If the Euro and EPS hold serve, we may get a bit of snow here- unusual for this early. Any real accumulations seem unlikely though, one big factor is the warm ground. Still any snow before we even hit the Solstice would be a bonus.

I would rather get snow in Dec than in late Feb or March ! Temps are usually colder and sun angle is lower !

20 minutes ago, packbacker said:

UK has shifted the QPF further NW each of the past 3 runs now.  Total QPF below over 6 days but looks like for central NC about 1" QPF falls with the Friday/Saturday wave.   

Triangle may get the bullseye on this one.  To me it looks too strung out and too late of a bloomer to really make any difference to CLT west, not to mention the temp issues.  Seems like an Eastern NC special to me.  

Maybe this one will set the stage for an event more toward mid-month once the cold air is established.  

Euro out to 102.  It's dropping too much wave energy down into northern Mexico (bias maybe?), but with a steep western ridge, more northern stream energy is dropping south and it has light snow or mix back into western NC it looks like

At 105-108, it looks like decent snow or mix in NC foothills

More precip back inland this run in NC

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

No snow showing on Vista snow map, so it's obviously borderline with temps.  To me though it looks like it would be mostly snow in NC foothills and mtns.  

From the Sounding data I've seen... everyone in Central & western NC and western SC is well below freezing with the exception of right at the surface. Even up just few hundred meters from the surface is -2 C or colder.  I imagine if anyone can get decent rates on Friday it should knock the surface down to freezing and allow for accumulations.

3 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

From the Sounding data I've seen... everyone is well below freezing with the exception of right at the surface. Even up just few hundred meters from the surface is -2 C or colder.  I imagine if anyone can get decent rates on Friday it should knock the surface down to freezing and allow for accumulations.

The GSP wintry wording will go up this aftn as long as they don't marry themselves to the GFS.

5 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

From the Sounding data I've seen... everyone in Central & western NC and western SC is well below freezing with the exception of right at the surface. Even up just few hundred meters from the surface is -2 C or colder.  I imagine if anyone can get decent rates on Friday it should knock the surface down to freezing and allow for accumulations.

Agreed. It seems like the RN/SN line sets up where you have rates.

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looks like that low does bomb off the coast at 120?

You are right.  There are actually 3 waves of low pressure riding the arctic front along the coast on the Euro.  First is weak with light rain/sprinkles.  Second is gulf to off SE coast with wintry precip inland.  Third develops off NC coast and hits eastern New England with snow

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

You are right.  There are actually 3 waves of low pressure riding the arctic front along the coast on the Euro.  First is weak with light rain/sprinkles.  Second is gulf to off SE coast with wintry precip inland.  Third develops off NC coast and hits eastern New England with snow

Crazy run...wasn't expecting that.

Archived