Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Last winter, we couldn't buy blocking.  November, going into December looked terrible.  And it turned out terrible.

What is it that you guys want to see?

Everything looks great, blockificaton nation in full effect...just hope it can continue to the months that count. Like your favorite team shooting 100% from the floor....in warmups. They look really good! But will it last through game time? 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah this is a head scratcher. I feel a lot better know that blocking has taken place in both regions even as we head into December. But the models look very meh like with the upper pattern and with the temp profile. Maybe there is just a lag and the models have not caught onto this type of pattern setting up yet. 

I agree with Lag theory. Models past 5 days on big H5 features take a while to digest/sort and spit out end results or LR forecast.  Tell you I feel a whole lot better optimistic today 11/21 than I did just a month ago 10/21. Think well have a pretty decent climo avg winter when all is said and done. Not being able to avg near or AN precip is my biggest concern. Temps and climo snowfall not so much.

19 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I agree with Lag theory. Models past 5 days on big H5 features take a while to digest/sort and spit out end results or LR forecast.  Tell you I feel a whole lot better optimistic today 11/21 than I did just a month ago 10/21. Think well have a pretty decent climo avg winter when all is said and done. Not being able to avg near or AN precip is my biggest concern. Temps and climo snowfall not so much.

Yeah just average temps Ill be happy with. The snow will come. At least here in the mountains we have had no shortage in moisture.

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

I want to see models that are correct, just once! Is that too much to ask!?

Heads up, numerical models are and always will be wrong.  

You know, the old lack of data, parameterization, imperfect equations, assumptions, scale analysis, land model, energy budget, and inherent non-linear noise with time kind of things.

34 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

This is where I have to somewhat channel 'Cold Rain's thinking.  Get me the cold weather here first.   We are in the southeast with water on two sides and banked by mountains on the other.  This is not an arid climate despite "dry" weather.  Precip will always come but we struggle climatologically with temps...always have

9 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

What happened to the Arctic blast for Monday/ Tuesday ? My highs are 57/59 respectively! Brrrrrrr! :(

Man, low to mid 50s for a high is what I expect in the dead of winter, normal . Getting that in fall, and we're ahead of the game. The sky is certainly not falling.

54 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

What happened to the Arctic blast for Monday/ Tuesday ? My highs are 57/59 respectively! Brrrrrrr! :(

My NWS forecast is sunny and upper 40's for a high on Monday after a morning low in the mid/upper 20's. Solidly below normal. Your forecast is 52 and 30 respectively. Where did you get 57 and 59?

59 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Give me that look any day in winter and I will take my chances with the cold. If that blocking continues to be modeled, the cold will come.

No doubt and its a slam dunk November is BN now. Starting December off on a great note. This is what you want to see this time of year, season officially kicks off in 8 days and we are starting with a healthy roster of players we all whine about drafting. Can't count a win or lose when we are just now having the coin toss lol.

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

What's a good sight?

I presume he means a troughy look along the east coast with some semblance of LP spinning up from the gulf?  Would like to see something similar another month or so down the road with colder air locked in.  Bring on a nice Miller A with blocking.

Maybe something close to this (slightly west with precip shield this time) for my selfish interests in the Triad...

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20000125/

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

The euro keeps getting warmer and warmer and so does the eps. No torch but we have all this blocking and the atmosphere is responding in a funny way.

I really don't understand what the heck is going on. As I mentioned last week, climo tells us that it is difficult to get true arctic air into the southeast in November.

4 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

I really don't understand what the heck is going on. As I mentioned last week, climo tells us that it is difficult to get true arctic air into the southeast in November.

Yeah I am not talking about true arctic air, I'm just talking about the blocking and the models not really sending much cold air down into our area. From the GFS to the Euro the models have back off from the cold punch we should see this weekend. Maybe it will come back but the Pac NW is hurting us though.  I'm not worried just puzzled. 

59 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I am not talking about true arctic air, I'm just talking about the blocking and the models not really sending much cold air down into our area. From the GFS to the Euro the models have back off from the cold punch we should see this weekend. Maybe it will come back but the Pac NW is hurting us though.  I'm not worried just puzzled. 

We are in great shape and the GEFS and Euro show us getting BN by end of first full week of Dec. Gefs improves the pac /west coast look quicker and gets rid of the trough soner than the euro suite. Both show what we want to see blocking wise and are very consistent. Till then  enjoy normal, slightly BN

Indices looking better than from a couple days back:

PNA - Looks to finally get to neutral and stay that way into the LR

NAO - Looks to average negative into the LR

AO - Looks to jump to neutral in the ST but fall back negative in the LR

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Archived