Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NC_hailstorm said:

That latest AO forecast is down to -5 and almost off the chart.

A year to late for our man Cohen lol. Love hearing your input on all the SunRelated Things and how you think they effect AO & NAO, so please keep posting your thoughts. I am way behind on solar cycles and all things related, But im inclined to give it way more weight in affecting AO & NAO than a snow advance index.

3 hours ago, griteater said:

The block is back this winter Niner.  Believe it like a kid believes in Santa Claus 

I believe.  But eventually little kids grow up and find the truth, and it hurts.  It hurts.  But seriously I'm hopefull.  Your good information in your outlook along with the other consensus on the QBO and solar does give me hope that we'll get some Greenland Barney's here and there through January and February.  

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

A year to late for our man Cohen lol. Love hearing your input on all the SunRelated Things and how you think they effect AO & NAO, so please keep posting your thoughts. I am way behind on solar cycles and all things related, But im inclined to give it way more weight in affecting AO & NAO than a snow advance index.

Yeah good information from hailstorm on the solar, I agree.  Keep in coming and put that bad mamma jamma to sleep for the next 4 months. 

Thoughts from The Don in NY subforum (donsutherland1)..."I have growing confidence that winter 2017-18 will likely feature far more blocking than was the case last winter. The probabilities seem tilted somewhat toward a winter with a predominantly negative AO. The potential for periods of sustained strong blocking is on the table, but it's still too soon for me to have much confidence in that idea. Having said that, I have confidence that at least one of the winter months will be very blocky (monthly AO average of -1.000 or below)."

6z GFS continues the cold look in the LR. The greedy part of me wishes this pattern was setting up two weeks later but I/we need to take what we get, when we can get it.

I would even venture to say some kind of wintery threat could occur for somebody in the SE (...even outside the mountains). It's happened before this early in the year. 

9 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

6z GFS continues the cold look in the LR. The greedy part of me wishes this pattern was setting up two weeks later but I/we need to take what we get, when we can get it.

I would even venture to say some kind of wintery threat could occur for somebody in the SE (...even outside the mountains). It's happened before this early in the year. 

You're either living in the future or Guam?  

31 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

You're either living in the future or Guam?  

Oh I hear you. In a normal year, we really don't have much hope until January. But if the pattern can set up just right things can happen much earlier:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20001119/

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20101204.gif

Actually the last couple runs show flurry action in the LR. I've been thinking and saying by watching the overall pattern in Canada. But the indicies are favoring a cold early start to winter. But notice the runs of GFS 12z and 18z. Shows the potential of a Miller B type storm setting up a huge trough in the LR. May not amount to much. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some flakes outside the mountains in va/nc here in the next coming 2-3 weeks. 

45 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Oh I hear you. In a normal year, we really don't have much hope until January. But if the pattern can set up just right things can happen much earlier:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20001119/

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20101204.gif

Dec 2002 was one of my favorite winter storms ever! 2nd or 3rd behind Jan of 88 and maybe March 1 2008

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Dec 2002 was one of my favorite winter storms ever! 2nd or 3rd behind Jan of 88 and maybe March 1 2008

you mean March 1st, 2009! I remember vividly - only on 2 occasions have I experienced thundersnow: one was SuperStorm '93 in Tuscaloosa, AL and the other March 2009 in Simpsonville, SC (yes, I used to live south of I-85)

3 minutes ago, drfranklin said:

you mean March 1st, 2009! I remember vividly - only on 2 occasions have I experienced thundersnow: one was SuperStorm '93 in Tuscaloosa, AL and the other March 2009 in Simpsonville, SC (yes, I used to live south of I-85)

Yeah, stupid phone! Mar '09 was one of the rare occasions when S of 85 is the big winner! I had right at 8"!! Amazing after all the rain earlier in the day!!

0z 6z goofus along with 18z 12z yesterday and a couple other runs show potential for the first flakes of the season. Around thanksgiving for parts of NC/Va outside of the mountains. Too far out to get into much details. But Imo looks more and more likely for a Miller B setup. Where the phasing occurs yet to be determined.  But appears to be a good size trough setting up.

2 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

This weather.us site is going to be stiff competition for paysites this winter. It has models I didnt even know existed, plus some killer euro graphics, all for free.

Mods need to bump this post from QC with the link and pin it up top. Thanks for sharing. All I can say is holy cow! No way this stays free for the next 3 months. I was just playing around to get euro forecasted temp at 9:00 pm for my county tonight. Unbeleivable what all you can do with this site, user friendly to say the least. I can zoom right in to just my county alone. gonna play some more with it , but when looking for wetbulb lines etc this will be awesome instead of hunting interstate markers way zoomed out etc.

modez.png

Edit: Oh yea you can zero in on 850 temps,500mb , rh in snow growth area etc from every model out there and really see pin point. Get a whole lot better idea of a models depicted sounding for your back yard without having to rely on a closest airport sounding. 

Archived