Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, drfranklin said:

Predicted high of 89 today with noticeable humidity - feels like August - does anyone know when the first "Fall" front will sweep this swamp-like weather out (at least in the upper Southeast)?

It's going to be a while, but look for one in the 10-15 day timeframe after Maria moves out into the North Atlantic and a ridge goes up out west

1 hour ago, franklin NCwx said:

It's felt like fall for the past month 

This weather has been absolutely fantastic here in the mountains. Highs in the 70s and low to mid 50s for lows. our lowest low for the season has been  42 degrees already. Our lowest high was 51 degrees during Irma. Very nice. Sure it has warmed up but pretty benign really.

13 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This weather has been absolutely fantastic here in the mountains. Highs in the 70s and low to mid 50s for lows. our lowest low for the season has been  42 degrees already. Our lowest high was 51 degrees during Irma. Very nice. Sure it has warmed up but pretty benign really.

that weather sounds fantastic! but for us in elevations < 1000 feet, the past 10 days have been quite warm/humid - the SC Midlands will be in the low 90's today!

Irma was great in Upstate SC - highs in the 50's with rain - I contemplated turning our fireplace on! Now, it's been MUCH warmer in the past 10 days with stagnant weather/little rain

1 hour ago, drfranklin said:

that weather sounds fantastic! but for us in elevations < 1000 feet, the past 10 days have been quite warm/humid - the SC Midlands will be in the low 90's today!

Irma was great in Upstate SC - highs in the 50's with rain - I contemplated turning our fireplace on! Now, it's been MUCH warmer in the past 10 days with stagnant weather/little rain

Yeah the weather out of the mountains are vastly different than our surrounding areas. As Grit and others have stated we have a bit of time before we cool back down. 

46 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Big cool down coming starting next Friday. High's mid 70's low's near 60 for the weekend and following week. Gonna be a nice change.

Need rain! It's always fun going into the fall, our driest time of year, with a deficit of 10" plus and not a drop of rain since Irma , and no real shot of it in the next 10-15 days! Oh , and the 2 week stretch of upper 80s and low 90s, is helping tremendously! :(

4 hours ago, downeastnc said:

This is as close to a dry season as we get here, late Sept into early Nov is the driest time of the year on average...and those months still average 3" of precip. I will take all the dry we can get so the skeeters wont be horrible come opening day of deer season in a few weeks.

Skeeters are horrible right now. Need some cold weather to get rid of them.

The CFS keeps the US warm into December, but after that it shows near normal or even below normal. It's been consistent on this. Not saying that we'll have a rockin' February. It does seem like the bad pattern may just be a fall thing, which is a very La Nina-esque scenario. This is looking to be a moderate Nina, so that would make sense.

9 hours ago, WidreMann said:

The CFS keeps the US warm into December, but after that it shows near normal or even below normal. It's been consistent on this. Not saying that we'll have a rockin' February. It does seem like the bad pattern may just be a fall thing, which is a very La Nina-esque scenario. This is looking to be a moderate Nina, so that would make sense.

I'll take my chances with a moderate nina. 2007/2008 was not a great year (a few small events). But we've had some blockbuster/memorable years as well: 1999/2000 had our Carolina Crusher storm and 2010/2011 had the Christmas storm. Even 1998/1999 had a Christmas eve ice storm.

13 hours ago, WidreMann said:

Fab feb delayed but not denied

3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

I'll take my chances with a moderate nina. 2007/2008 was not a great year (a few small events). But we've had some blockbuster/memorable years as well: 1999/2000 had our Carolina Crusher storm and 2010/2011 had the Christmas storm. Even 1998/1999 had a Christmas eve ice storm.

Seems like the -ENSO's have been better lately then +ENSO's based purely on snow events over past 30 years.  I prefer nina...atleast if it doesn't snow it should be warm.  Even as bad as the bust was last January atleast it torched the rest of the winter.

Snowy -ENSO:  2014, 2011, 2009, 2002, 2000, 1996, 1989

Snowy +ENSO:  2015, 2010, 2004, 2003, 1988

Archived