• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Big fronts clearing the coast this time of year will make tropical season tricky, the fronts stalling offshore and washing out could lead to some homegrown action off the SE coast and the northern GOM. The big fronts could also turn out any storms approaching the SE coast.....

There is no real temps over 90 in the latest GFS run until the last few days of the run and even then its barely pushing 90, most of the run is at or below normal with temps in the 80's, all in all not bad considering it could easily be mid to upper 90's every day. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06z on 7/31. I'm not gonna hold my breath on this, seeing as 2 weeks ago we were supposed to have 5-8" for the 2 week period.

1.21" this weekend, followed by

Second Period TOTAL PRECIP: 3.48 " and Convective: 2.29 "

16 day TOTAL PRECIP: 4.69 " and Convective: 3.3 "

2 hours ago, CARDC79 said:

Too early to start thinking about early Winter projections for NC Piedmont/Triad?

Brand new to Winston from Washington, DC.  Expecting more IP/ZR than I've ever seen!  (Hope I'm wrong)

Too early to start thinking about winter?  Haha never!  In fact, you're late to the party. :)

On 7/31/2017 at 11:55 AM, Solak said:

06z on 7/31. I'm not gonna hold my breath on this, seeing as 2 weeks ago we were supposed to have 5-8" for the 2 week period.

1.21" this weekend, followed by

Second Period TOTAL PRECIP: 3.48 " and Convective: 2.29 "

16 day TOTAL PRECIP: 4.69 " and Convective: 3.3 "

yep...i got screwed too during that last wet pattern. Seems everyone around me did ok but i Hardly picked up a thing. Storms divided, skipped, jumped, reversed course, and committed suicide  to avoid me. 

12 minutes ago, Lookout said:

yep...i got screwed too during that last wet pattern. Seems everyone around me did ok but i Hardly picked up a thing. Storms divided, skipped, jumped, reversed course, and committed suicide  to avoid me. 

You weren't, by chance, vacationing in Jonesville, were you?

GFS keeps showing all this rain, only to kick the can down the road every morning I check. Looks dry here through Sunday now into next week. I want be mowing this weekend thats for sure. Been bone dry in the ole back yard the past few weeks in combo with the little 2-3 week death ridge extreme heat wave. That being said , we are skating through summer pretty good this year compared to some of the past recent ones.

19 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm ready! When's all the rain gonna start?

RAH this afternoon...

The models continue to trend drier with the cold 
frontal passage Friday night, likely due to the poor diurnal timing 
and best forcing lifting away from the region. 

OK, so complete shot in the dark here, but I figured what the heck. My dad, sister, and I have a bucket list trip down to Chile in about 3 weeks, with about half of the time spent skiing in the Andes. The only problem, there is a serious shortage of snow (we southerners can relate, right?)!

Any idea on any good sites/forums/forecasts for snow (or weather in general) in South America, specifically in Chile? I'm struggling to find anything of substance on the interwebs.

5 hours ago, SnowDeac said:

OK, so complete shot in the dark here, but I figured what the heck. My dad, sister, and I have a bucket list trip down to Chile in about 3 weeks, with about half of the time spent skiing in the Andes. The only problem, there is a serious shortage of snow (we southerners can relate, right?)!

Any idea on any good sites/forums/forecasts for snow (or weather in general) in South America, specifically in Chile? I'm struggling to find anything of substance on the interwebs.

https://weather.us/model-charts/standard/chile/snow-depth-in/20170819-1800z.html not the highest resolution, but you can select the region, unlike most model pages

Alternatively: https://www.windy.com/overlays?snowcover,2017-08-12-18,-32.436,-71.741,6

58 minutes ago, packbacker said:

With what the models are spitting out for the next 10-15 days, June-Aug has a good chance to average BN for the east/SE.  And I guess maybe the plains too.

I'm surprised it hasn't been clearly below normal already.  It's "felt" below normal for June and July to me in CLT.  It's been a very nice summer IMO.  Plenty of rain/storms and not many upper 90s for highs. Haven't hit 100 yet either.  I remember some discussion that this was going to be a blistering summer in the spring....turns out summer talk is no better than winter talk! Very nice summer.  Let's see if we can pull a nice cold winter together.  

37 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I'm surprised it hasn't been clearly below normal already.  It's "felt" below normal for June and July to me in CLT.  It's been a very nice summer IMO.  Plenty of rain/storms and not many upper 90s for highs. Haven't hit 100 yet either.  I remember some discussion that this was going to be a blistering summer in the spring....turns out summer talk is no better than winter talk! Very nice summer.  Let's see if we can pull a nice cold winter together.  

It was just so dang hot the last 2 summers in comparison

54 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

this

16 minutes ago, griteater said:

It was just so dang hot the last 2 summers in comparison

and this, curious to see how it turns out officially.

On 8/3/2017 at 8:42 AM, NCSNOW said:

GFS keeps showing all this rain, only to kick the can down the road every morning I check. Looks dry here through Sunday now into next week.

Yes; i have been seeing that, it sure does seem like it will eventually pick up quite a bit.  Thankfully the extra time in between this forecasted longer period of rainand it actually happening are making it so that it will be more interesting/surreal when it does actually get here, and I think somehow very relaxing too!

NDOvcGT.jpg

Well I usually wait till winter to chime in and stick my foot in my mouth, but it's raining in the ole backyard. I didn't wash the car today but was heading over to the high school football practice, midnight madness because Saturday is the first day they can hit  per nchsaa. Have to LOL at lady luck sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

could be a hectic setup for the next 7 to 10 days. NC area. 

scattered heavy rains / storms about every day.

It's looked like " wet" patterns were setting up a few times the last month,only to not pan out. Hopefully we score in this projected pattern, looks good now. We desperately need it in the upstate.

Archived