Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Keep in mind the tropical tidbits snow maps show ice as snow accumulation too. People keep forgetting this when looking at the snowfall maps but actual snow totals aren't nearly as high for most places as it seems due to mixing and ice. Also the GFS can have a cold bias too so it's best to wait until we start seeing if mesoscale models like NAM are picking up on a warm nose. 

Lol...just posted RAH discussion agreeing with that thinking. Goes back to my earlier post of not wanting to be on the GFS snow/rain line.  

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Kind of funny how the NAM has gained more respect; especially in its outer time ranges (hour 84).

Well for this winter season anyway.  The drives are just not very reliable this year.  Have to rely on the short game.

So comparing the 6z GFS to the 6z NAM at hour 84, the NAM is warmer with dew point temps pushing into our area. For RDU the GFS is around 12 but closer to 22 on the NAM. Granted there were teens on the NAM just to the north with a north wind. Out west the freezing precip line on the GFS meandered into Arkansas whereas on the NAM it was farther north into central Missouri. Not saying this would change things in later time ranges, but just stating the NAM is warmer (setting up for this system) than the GFS.   

11 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

So comparing the 6z GFS to the 6z NAM at hour 84, the NAM is warmer with dew point temps pushing into our area. For RDU the GFS is around 12 but closer to 22 on the NAM. Granted there were teens on the NAM just to the north with a north wind. Out west the freezing precip line on the GFS meandered into Arkansas whereas on the NAM it was farther north into central Missouri. Not saying this would change things in later time ranges, but just stating the NAM is warmer (setting up for this system) than the GFS.   

Higher dewpoints in our area also indicate moisture coming in more quickly, before cold air settles in right?  Believe that also got us last time.

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Higher dewpoints in our area also indicate moisture coming in more quickly, before cold air settles in right?  Believe that also got us last time.

Not sure. The storm is still out ~ Arkansas at hour 84. There's just less of a push, or a delay, of cold/dry air. It will be interesting to see what the upcoming NAM shows.   

3 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

PGV has about 40 miles of wiggle room on the GFS thickness plots, alarm bells will sound if the NAM comes in boarder line.  My money would be on the VA boarder counties at this point in to southern VA, it is nice to fiannly have something to track inside 4 days.

I agree. I like the setup at hour 48 on the RGEM (another short range model). It actually has a colder look than the GFS with that beautiful 1052 high coming out of Canada:

aaaa.jpg

38 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I agree. I like the setup at hour 48 on the RGEM (another short range model). It actually has a colder look than the GFS with that beautiful 1052 high coming out of Canada:

aaaa.jpg

Don't like the high placement as modeled here! Not in a good spot for CAD, and looks exactly same as the location of our Jan crap-fest storm! Gotta get cold first, as always!

9 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Don't like the high placement as modeled here! Not in a good spot for CAD, and looks exactly same as the location of our Jan crap-fest storm! Gotta get cold first, as always!

One local Met. saying Plowable snow likely in the Asheville area, that confidence is starting to grow with a colder high pressure coming out of Canada.  Another Met. saying a lot can change but it looks like phasing will take place of the northern and southern stream.

4 minutes ago, fritschy said:

One local Met. saying Plowable snow likely in the Asheville area, that confidence is starting to grow with a colder high pressure coming out of Canada.  Another Met. saying a lot can change but it looks like phasing will take place of the northern and southern stream.

Either way, I'm going to travel to see snow! Asheville will work, but will travel to Roxboro!!

Archived