Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoshM said:

0z Euro literally has snow for all of NC (except a small area near Wilmington) @ 108. It's not heavy, but a start. Ends up being a 1-2 inch for most of the state, with some 3 inch totals around the Mountains, and eastern part of the state.

Of course the Euro gets better after the 00Z GFS went back north....I think we would all lock in a general 1-3" snowfall for most of NC if we had the chance...

10 minutes ago, JoshM said:

Keep in mind, this includes a lot Ice in the eastern half of the state.

Looks like 6-7" of snow and the rest sleet/zr in my neck of the woods. would be pretty epic and would do a number of the flowering trees as most of them have leafed out here. Nice to see the GFS not continue the north bumps.....though there is still an eternity of runs to go between now and then for this to trend away from us and really its what we all should expect.

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Even though the 0z gives my back yard more snow (12") I like the 6z better because it's back south which gives us some wiggle room. The last storm the snow/sleet cut off ended up being 30 miles NW from modeled. Don't like being on the line....

You go from a shi* ton of snow, to a crippling ice storm, with such a narrow cut off. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

1 minute ago, JoshM said:

You go from a shi* ton of snow, to a crippling ice storm, with such a short cut off. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Never shows me in freezing rain. I would briefly mix with sleet but looks like mostly snow.  But that's us looking at this particular models run. We still have some changes coming, hopefully for the positive.

Just now, FallsLake said:

Never shows me in freezing rain. I would briefly mix with sleet but looks like mostly snow.  But that's us looking at this particular models run. We still have some changes coming, hopefully for the positive.

For NC, CMC/Euro/GFS show at least an inch or two, for pretty much the entire state. So I feel good ATM, subject to change in 6 hours.

15 minutes ago, JoshM said:

For NC, CMC/Euro/GFS show at least an inch or two, for pretty much the entire state. So I feel good ATM, subject to change in 6 hours.

Yeah got to like that we are inside of 4 days as well....need it to trend another 100 miles south and stay there lol....its cold on the GFS for a long time after the storm the highest temp it shows for MBY from Sat to Sat is 45 with lows into the 20's....

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

Even though the 0z gives my back yard more snow (12") I like the 6z better because it's back south which gives us some wiggle room. The last storm the snow/sleet cut off ended up being 30 miles NW from modeled. Don't like being on the line....

Keep in mind the tropical tidbits snow maps show ice as snow accumulation too. People keep forgetting this when looking at the snowfall maps but actual snow totals aren't nearly as high for most places as it seems due to mixing and ice. Also the GFS can have a cold bias too so it's best to wait until we start seeing if mesoscale models like NAM are picking up on a warm nose. 

RAH (they want to wait for the NAM to get within range):

For late Saturday night into early Sunday morning, we are still
seeing some differences in how the models are handling the low
pressure system that could bring some snowfall across our northern
tier on Saturday morning. The low track is still south of the area
which is in a favorable location for snow and the deterministic runs
of the ECMWF and the GFS are still cold enough through the boundary
layer and saturated enough in the snow growth zone to support snow
at least across the northern counties with locations north of US-64
seeing the possibility of snow. At least in the GFS forecast
soundings. South of that line looks to be too warm and thus fairly
confident for all rain, especially going down to Fayetteville and
Goldsboro. The problem with basing the forecast soundings off of the
GFS soundings is that it tends to be too cold in the low levels and
in this case is a fairly cold outlier. We still are too far out in
time to see the thermal structure in the NAM which did well earlier
in the season. Therefore there is enough uncertainty at this time to
go with rain or snow in the forecast across the north with all rain
to the south. Highs Sunday only in the low to mid 40s.

Archived