Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

Because having it 24 hours out helped out so much last time.....:lol:

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

seriously. and having every ens member shows 12"+ while it was raining lol.

Man that was painful.  Can't believe I am even looking at this threat...if that didn't there's no way a mid March threat is going to work out.

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

yeah agree, thought it looked like the CMC you posted....looked like to me it has a pretty nice, consolidated low in NE gulf at 144 with trough in MS

Amazing how far south that piece of energy dives to get underneath us....concerning.  

gfs_z500_vort_us_19.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

16 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

How many times has a surface low track along I26 delivered?

Mar 9, 1960 would be one example.  With a more northerly wave/sfc low track, the key is the damming high, and it supplying copious cold air.  540 thickness line is well south into N SC in this example.  It's draped across N NC on the 12z GFS

GpRCC7n.gif

6pI0Cpy.gif

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Mar 9, 1960 would be one example.  With a more northerly wave/sfc low track, the key is the damming high, and it supplying copious cold air.  540 thickness line is well south into N SC in this example.  It's draped across N NC on the 12z GFS

GpRCC7n.gif

6pI0Cpy.gif

I'm surprised nobody is saying anything about March 12th/13th 1993 storm of century.

1 hour ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

There is another difference with Wednesday, March 9, 1960 set up. Before the storm on that date there was already a substantial snow cover over much of NC and the northwestern part of SC, left over from a major winter storm on March 2, 1960 that was followed by a week of temperatures up to 25 degrees below normal. I was in the the 7th grade during that memorable March in the upstate of SC. The Wednesday, March 9th snow was followed closely by a third on Friday, March 11, 1960. This budding snow fanatic was in heaven. 

8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol! MA has punted to the Tuesday storm!! I love those guys!

Not sure why they are punting...the ensemble mean still has it north of the Op.  It's the MA, you know they won't miss this event, assuming there is one.

Archived