Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We never learn.   I would rather be 50-100 miles north of sweet spot at this range...which is where the MA is.

We talk about the northern trend but I'm curious if there's any data supporting it - my guess is what we're seeing is models not seeing WAA or something which causes snow totals to "shift" north.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ajr said:

We talk about the northern trend but I'm curious if there's any data supporting it - my guess is what we're seeing is models not seeing WAA or something which causes snow totals to "shift" north.

The north trend of storms can be caused by many things.... here's a few:

1) The cold air push is not as strong as was previously modeled.

2) The storm amps up more than forecasted.

3) The SE ridge is stronger than modeled.

1 hour ago, WeatherNC said:

Measurable snow after the first week of March just don't happen around here.

well it has happened at least once in my lifetime I remember it well I was 12 and that was well after the first week of March, but the fact that it has only happened this far east once since 1972 should also tell you something lol.

accum.19830325.gif

42 minutes ago, ajr said:

It seems that in the last few years we've had as many south trends as north. With this particular system, I'm thinking a continued south trend is possible (equal a north trend).

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

It seems that in the last few years we've had as many south trends as north. With this particular system, I'm thinking a continued south trend is possible (equal a north trend).

Agree - the trend is suppression (for now at least). 

19 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

That confluence in the NE, is straight up gangster ! :)

It will have to be strong in order for us to have a chance down here. If this were January, I would be seriously worried about suppression. It's getting late (obviously) and I just don't like our chances. This system needs to dig some more before I will bite.

Never Mind, It was March 1st.

image018.jpg&key=54587354e5d103770e97851c106e9c7e7becb6fa58fc6330f45b3015a3304cd1

I was living at the 30 inch bullseye at the time and I was 4 years old and it was my first clear memory. It was extremely heavy thundersnow. Probably 5 inches per hr. Haven't seen anything even close to that since. I watched it pile up just below the top of a red wagon handle in the front yard. The drifts where about 5ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

going to be a good run here on the 12z gfs for northern nc/southern va i believe.

tried to ignore this one as I don't want to get my hopes up but now I cant help myself.

Must not give in, must resist, must not be fooled again...... repeat after me..... In all seriousness, we still need some help. There will be some northward correction at some point. The key is if the confluence in the NE and the high pressure coming down will be as strong as modeled.

Archived