Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Oh come on CR. We'll get one more SE shift.

..............and then a whole bunch of NW shifts.

I was going to say the same thing. Can't deny the south trend on the models. It looks interesting for sure. And we have seen the models show storms to the north before, then bring them way south, only to adjust NW right before it hits. Seems to be a pattern with snow threats for NC.

35 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Check out the Mid Atlantic thread, they are about to have an orgasm I believe !!

I am riding the UK...it says what storm.  That would be funny and fitting for how this winter has gone.  Can't count how many times the Euro/GFS has shown fantasy snow events that fizzled out. 

Maybe one thing to hope for: at this time range (> 5 days) the models tend to lag some on the depiction of CAD. Not sure how far south a CAD could push / establish itself, but there looks to be plenty of cold air to the north. If anything there could be a larger southern zone of sleet/freezing rain.

I would say at this point the MA is where you want to be, but we can hope for miracles...   

I'm suffering from 'premature cancellation' of my winter model packages!...y'all keep us posted!

Strong temperature gradient along the east coast at Day 5 on Euro.  -30C in northern New England (impressive cold source...would be impressive in January even) to +10C in central GA.  Key shortwave entering west coast in Washington state in this setup isn't good....entering in Oregon or N Cali would be better

RAH:

Models are trending wetter for the weekend. However, the storm
track/strength as well as other key features such as a CAD
surface high and possible coastal front were still showing
too much spread to support moderate or high confidence.
Current
blending methods suggest a storm track close to our region (TN
valley to SC/srn NC) with a decent swath of QPF in excess of an inch
over the weekend. Cooler lows in the 40s with highs in the 50s N to
60s SE may have to be adjusted significantly colder/warmer in later
forecasts.

39 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Even ColdRain would have like all the HP being shown over the lakes.    Still think the UK's idea of a squashed low is the favored solution.   The UK has been great all winter.

sfcmslp.conus.png

Yep, I like the general look.  I'd like to see it press in a little more ahead of the storm, which would help to keep the storm south.  But come on guys...we know exactly how this is going to end.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Yep, I like the general look.  I'd like to see it press in a little more ahead of the storm, which would help to keep the storm south.  But come on guys...we know exactly how this is going to end.

But it's fun watching how it unfolds.  It's like watching some poor sap in the Freddie movies trying to not fall asleep....we know how it ends.

Archived