Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

24 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Re: ENSO, the short story is that tropical forcing patterns (influenced by SSTs) influence the jet stream.  Common SST configurations, i.e. Nino/Nina, create semi-predictable forcing patterns, which in turn tend to promote semi-predictable jet stream patterns, which we tend to think of as base Nino/Nina climo.  A SER is often a feature noted during Nina periods.  A more active split flow/STJ is often a feature noted during Nino patterns, for example.

That is the simple explanation, the best I understand it.  I'll defer to someone much smarter than I for the technical discussion.

Sorry, I think Brick quit posting here! :(

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Don't see much of him anymore..... he did make a post on another board about pea sized hail in his back yard on Saturday

We're missing quite a number of posters... but if we get a storm in March, some of them will come back. They'll say "I knew winter wasn't over!".

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Sadly, the 6z GFS has a frontal passage at this time! :( ! I think winter is finally over, no fantasy snow through the 24th! A few more cold shots though!

Yep, nothing showing at this time. I will say that the pattern would have some potential. But our problem now is the further into March we get the more perfect the setup has to be.

As you stated, the cold shots do continue to show up. I heard a report this morning that many of the peach trees and strawberries down east were in full bloom.

21 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Cosgrove is going with a very mild and mostly at or below average precip pattern in the SE for spring.  His preliminary thoughts for summer seem to continue this pattern, potentially even intensifying it.  :(  It makes me think he consulted heavily with jshetley, prior to making his forecast.

He blew his winter forecast, so expect a wet spring! :)

Rapid Reaction: An Unusual Event for NC Drought Monitoring

Posted on March 2, 2017 by Corey Davis and Rebecca Ward

It's a tradition so well-established that you might not even know it happens. Every Thursday morning, the US Drought Monitor's weekly assessment of conditions becomes the official drought status for North Carolina.

However, that's not the case this week. The map on the front page of the NC Drought Management Advisory Council (DMAC) website, which serves as the official drought designation for North Carolina, is different than the weekly US Drought Monitor (USDM) map.

The official DMAC map for North Carolina reflects no changes from the previous week's USDM, while the USDM's version for this week added Extreme Drought (D3) across the southern Mountains and expanded Moderate (D1) and Severe (D2) drought conditions farther north.

Rest of the story: http://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=228&h=a86bf486

drought_comparison_2017-02-28.png

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yay!!! Freeze watch for Friday night! We new it was coming, here it is! :(

i expext 24-27 degrees out here in the country!

I don't think RAH will post a watch/warning for their forecast area. They mentioned last night that it was still outside of their normal freeze watch/warning program. They did acknowledge this was a special situation because of how warm its been. Nevertheless a lot of early growth is about to die back.   

13 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I don't think RAH will post a watch/warning for their forecast area. They mentioned last night that it was still outside of their normal freeze watch/warning program. They did acknowledge this was a special situation because of how warm its been. Nevertheless a lot of early growth is about to die back.   

I think they will. Early or not, a CYA advisory will be issued.

3 hours ago, Solak said:

Rapid Reaction: An Unusual Event for NC Drought Monitoring

Posted on March 2, 2017 by Corey Davis and Rebecca Ward

It's a tradition so well-established that you might not even know it happens. Every Thursday morning, the US Drought Monitor's weekly assessment of conditions becomes the official drought status for North Carolina.

However, that's not the case this week. The map on the front page of the NC Drought Management Advisory Council (DMAC) website, which serves as the official drought designation for North Carolina, is different than the weekly US Drought Monitor (USDM) map.

The official DMAC map for North Carolina reflects no changes from the previous week's USDM, while the USDM's version for this week added Extreme Drought (D3) across the southern Mountains and expanded Moderate (D1) and Severe (D2) drought conditions farther north.

Rest of the story: http://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=228&h=a86bf486

drought_comparison_2017-02-28.png

Being on the rivers often and making a judgement by comparing past droughts, not just number discrepancies, I'd say the NCDMAC is more realistic. Yes it's bad but I'm not sure we're still in D3 as it says in Transylvania and southern Jackson county. It's much better than it was in the fall when it was widespread D3.

I don't think I've ever seen a Freeze Warning for areas of NC in early March like GSP just put out.  I guess it is because it has been so hot for so long over the last month, but sub-freezing lows are pretty typical this time of year.  The average last freeze for these areas is in early- to mid-April, I think. 

9 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Freeze Warning for areas of NC in early March like GSP just put out.  I guess it is because it has been so hot for so long over the last month, but sub-freezing lows are pretty typical this time of year.  The average last freeze for these areas is in early- to mid-April, I think. 

Our average low is still in the 20's.

18 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

They issued it because of the fact of the overall warm winter and record warm February , the growing season has already started!

Archived