Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I was just thinking to myself life would be better in the winter if we lived in a locale that had minimal chance of snow...well do I really have to say it.

One day, we will have a winter that rivals or surpasses 09-10, and those 77/78 winters!! We may all be dust , but it will happen again! Keep hope alive! Come on 17z GFS!

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Two batches of analogs for next winter (+enso/+qbo).   Of course if we don't develop a Nino it will be a repeat of this winter.  Which analog set we going with...

IMG_4120.PNG

IMG_4121.PNG

I would toss the first one to be honest.  Those 90s el Ninos behaved oddly as we discussed here a bit 2 weeks back.  94-95 was partly a product of a record cold stratosphere I believe and a raging +NAO/AO.  I would feel pretty good right now about next winter if I lived in the southeast assuming the El Niño develops  

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

One day, we will have a winter that rivals or surpasses 09-10, and those 77/78 winters!! We may all be dust , but it will happen again! Keep hope alive! Come on 17z GFS!

I don't know...been 13 years since RDU's last 10"+ season, previous drought was 7 years and that only happened a couple of times in 130+ years.  Climate change sucks.  Could be worse problems...just snow.

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I would toss the first one to be honest.  Those 90s el Ninos behaved oddly as we discussed here a bit 2 weeks back.  94-95 was partly a product of a record cold stratosphere I believe and a raging +NAO/AO.  I would feel pretty good right now about next winter if I lived in the southeast assuming the El Niño develops  

I think it will depend entirely on where the warmest water sets up. If right off and connecting to S. America, go with door #1, if west in the 3.4 region, select door #2. Of course there will be other factors in the teleconnections which will help determine the intensity of the warm or cold outcome, but the basic tenor will be set by location of warmest waters (as well as the relative strength of the Nino)              

4 minutes ago, MichaelJ said:

I think it will depend entirely on where the warmest water sets up. If right off and connecting to S. America, go with door #1, if west in the 3.4 region, select door #2. Of course there will be other factors in the teleconnections which will help determine the intensity of the warm or cold outcome, but the basic tenor will be set by location of warmest waters

15 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Was thinking more of a mod+ nino being better but there are other SST differences that stick out too.  Still not sure we will even have a nino, but we shall see.  Pretty rare to go from a super nino to weak nina then back to a nino.  Thought we would see a multi year nina.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 4.52.09 PM.png

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Was thinking more of a mod+ nino being better but there are other SST differences that stick out too.  Still not sure we will even have a nino, but we shall see.  Pretty rare to go from a super nino to weak nina then back to a nino.  Thought we would see a multi year nina.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 4.52.09 PM.png

If ninas suck this bad,I never want to see another one! And if drought and heat in the summer , is another calling card, screw that!

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

If ninas suck this bad,I never want to see another one! And if drought and heat in the summer , is another calling card, screw that!

Well, atleast for RDU, since 96 we have had 10 snowy winters.  6 have been nina's and 4 have been nino's.  

I had some minor issues with my account (got 24hr banned on accident lol, no worries, it's figured out now) but then 10th seems like a dud at this point. The models have gone away from the tall west coast ridging and instead moving towards a more eastern ridge...this doesn't allow the tail end of the energy to develop a shortwave and dig, but instead shears out and suppresses any moisture that forms. The ridge is progressing to a flatter, more eastern orientation...nothing but cold from that. The models won't find this storm again if the ridge isn't in the proper orientation - simple as that.

1 minute ago, Jon said:

I had some minor issues with my account (got 24hr banned on accident lol, no worries, it's figured out now) but then 10th seems like a dud at this point. The models have gone away from the tall west coast ridging and instead moving towards a more eastern ridge...this doesn't allow the tail end of the energy to develop a shortwave and dig, but instead shears out and suppresses any moisture that forms. The ridge is progressing to a flatter, more eastern orientation...nothing but cold from that. The models won't find this storm again if the ridge isn't in the proper orientation - simple as that.

Is winter over, in your opinion?

56 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I think it would suck to live anywhere where there is no chance of snow, like Florida! I may as well live in Florida as sucktastic as winters can and are here! But atleast there's a chance! Not sure it would be fun to live in a slam dunk snow place like Maine, but I'd be willing to give the latter a chance, if given the opportunity!

Mack, got a good friend that lives just outside Brunswick maine and he has complained all season so far about the serious lack of snow for them.  He is used to snow to start falling in october and still be getting snow sometimes into mid and late april.  Hasn't hardly used the old snowblower at all this year he said.

13 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

lol........ This looks good for fishing anyway!!!

New euro weeklies are a blow torch 
Look at whats predicted for February 20th

No automatic alt text available.

Just saying ,and the maps may be correct, but look at times the maps show one thing then when the time gets here it's completely different. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Just saying ,and the maps may be correct, but look at times the maps show one thing then when the time gets here it's completely different. 

I agree, they not been all that good lately. But the way this winter has been, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they turn out correct.... lol  I got this off of FB some Met posted it

Archived