Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Basically none of the 50 EPS members last night had anything like this. Chance of this is very very low.

12z GFS with a wintry weather threat next Thursday/Friday. Some ensemble members from ECMWF/GFS have shown this last couple cycles.

5 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

12z GFS with a wintry weather threat next Thursday/Friday. Some ensemble members from ECMWF/GFS have shown this last couple cycles.

Three out of 50 have significant snow in northern NC. The rest have no real storm for anyone in the SE save the mountains.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Hey, all we care about is blue showing up on the map.  We'll worry about silly things like temps later!

lol, yeah, and I didn't even get any blue over my house...until after the storm was in the ocean! I love those waiting on the change over threats with lows in the mid 30s! 

The potential was there as packbacker and I spoke on this morning...with the energy and varying ridging and pacific looks, even within day 7, you'll get a run in your favor at some point. What the 12z GFS ensembles say is important, inside day 7-8 I'm assuming ensemble support, we'll see.

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The thing that concerns me is, the cold shot is not that cold! Maybe if it comes in at night, etc, etc,etc, we might be good 1-40 North

It's cold enough.  The surface would be cooler than it's showing here.  It would likely trend colder.  The setup is good.  We just need to see the same setup in place at go time and temps will be fine.  Problem is, the whole thing will probably shift a good couple hundred miles N, if there be a storm at all.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

It's cold enough.  The surface would be cooler than it's showing here.  It would likely trend colder.  The setup is good.  We just need to see the same setup in place at go time and temps will be fine.  Problem is, the whole thing will probably shift a good couple hundred miles N, if there be a storm at all.

It all depends on the midweek cutter and the strength and separation of the trailing wave.

2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

The gfs shows one of the ways we can score without blocking. A wave trailing behind a cutter will work.

Agree this is actually pretty classic setup for us in the eastern part of the state.....storm track is ok, high stays anchored long enough over SE Canada, would like to see it a bit stronger or a tad further south but mid 1030's is decent.

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

It all depends on the midweek cutter and the strength and separation of the trailing wave.

You're correct.  I'm just saying that if we get what we need with that, surface temps will be fine.  I'm much more worried about the storm being not there or farther north than I am about temps with the setup the GFS showed.

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Let me tell you a story about the NAM and a January system! :(

BTW - The 00z Euro had the 2/10 storm, it was just out to sea. Check 12z 2/10 frame MSLP for those with access. The Euro also has the same tail end of energy swinging down as the GFS does, so it's not like the Euro isn't showing a storm at all...it's there, just hasn't popped anything significant yet.

Archived