SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another GFS run, another solution. Major changes in overall pattern at 5h and vort...much more of a ridge at 174 hours, not sure if it's going to allow anything to really dig, a little too south. Anything that does will likely be northern stream dominated.

While everyone is watching for next week I'm quite interested in the event for Friday. The NAM has been trending colder/wetter and the GFS has too. QPF ranges in the .1-.3 range on the NAM and if we can get surface temps near freezing could see a slushy 1-2" across parts of NC Friday. 

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

While everyone is watching for next week I'm quite interested in the event for Friday. The NAM has been trending colder/wetter and the GFS has too. QPF ranges in the .1-.3 range on the NAM and if we can get surface temps near freezing could see a slushy 1-2" across parts of NC Friday. 

I can see an I-40 special, once we get less than 60 hours out, we should be in NAMs wheelhouse. Hopefully a good surprise, unlike the crap we've been dealt.

8 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I can see an I-40 special, once we get less than 60 hours out, we should be in NAMs wheelhouse. Hopefully a good surprise, unlike the crap we've been dealt.

We are pretty close to getting in it's range, start of event is about 57 hours out according to NAM and it's been trending colder each run at 850 and the surface. Need this to continue and we might have a nice little snow Friday to talk about. It needs to come in before daybreak though for a chance at snow, if it waits till the afternoon then surface temps will be too warm. 

35 minutes ago, JoshM said:

4k NAM kicking those temps close to freezing during the bulk of the precip Friday PM.

nam4km_T2m_seus_44.png

RAH thinks the best shot of wintery precip would be freezing rain. But they are doubtful, at this time, that enough precip will fall to wet bulb down to freezing.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
As of 350 AM Wednesday...

A weak disturbances may help activate the low level front zone
expected to be just to the south of central NC on Friday morning,
which may lead to some light rain on Friday. The latest GFS has
trended a bit colder for Friday morning, with wet bulb temps in the
mid to upper 20s across northern portions of the area on Friday
morning. However, the main parent surface high is expected to be in
the North Plains on Friday. This is an unfavorable locations to
deliver enough cold/dry air at the surface to produce any winter
precip. If any winter precip were to occur it appears it would most
likely be in the form of freezing rain, as the latest models
soundings struggle to show saturation reaching -10 Celsius. With
that said, precip looks to be very light given the lack of any good
moisture transport in the mid level westerly flow aloft. Thus, it
may be hard to even wet bulb if any precip even were to fall. Thus,
will continue to keep the forecast in the form of plain rain. High
temps on Friday will be greatly affected by how much precip we see.
For now, will go with high temps in the lower 40s north to the mid
to upper 40s south.

Indices looking good:

PNA - Continues to show positive from now to LR

AO - Continues to show a dive into negative territory in the short to LR

NAO - Continues to show positive through the mid range but now maybe a drop into (slightly) negative territory in the LR

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

**but as others have mentioned the EPO looks to go positive in the LR (bad). Not sure how this all mixes together..

8 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Surprised I don't see any posts about the EPS, you would think with this look there would be some members showing snow.  

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_us_10.png

Models are so volatile around this time period it's ridiculous. We definitely can work with the latest euro, 1040ish HP diving down then sliding due east...tall ridge out west, we can find the low later with all the activity from the pacific. Much better run even though we don't have snow in our backyard, I can work with this...then again it will change at 12z. I'm keeping my eye on the low that pops off the pacific and bombs near the lakes, depending on the trajectory of that and strength/how deep it gets will depend on if we get a HP we can work with, or a HP diving due SE that essentially overwhelms the area with dry cold. I'm sure we'll get fireworks at some point and hope we can hang onto them.

48 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Indices looking good:

PNA - Continues to show positive from now to LR

AO - Continues to show a dive into negative territory in the short to LR

NAO - Continues to show positive through the mid range but now maybe a drop into (slightly) negative territory in the LR

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

**but as others have mentioned the EPO looks to go positive in the LR (bad). Not sure how this all mixes together..

Normal to slightly below normal east with marginal snow chances at best, if the ensembles are correct.  Here's the basic GEFS progression, below, from the 6z run.  The 0z GEPS is slightly worse.  No idea on the EPS, but I assume it's not great.  Red lines indicate general positives for us, and black lines indicate poor feature placement:

96 hr.  The recurring Omega ridge out west, while helping to build cold air in Canada, stretches the flow back to the west, so we do not have a direct arctic feed coming into the CONUS, given the lack of high latitude blocking and a +NAO.  No PNA help either. :(

96.jpg

192 hr.  We have a +PNA now, which puts a trough in the east.  Good.  UNFORTUNATELY, the AK block has moved to Siberia, and we have a big low near the tip of Greenland.  +EPO is all but gone and the NAO is still positive.  The PV has moved north and west. :(

192.jpg

240 hr.  The Siberian block is still present, but fading.  It has stretched the PV, which is continuing to leave our side of the globe.  We have essentially an onshore flow into the CONUS, bringing cool Pacific air, with the only positive being a trough in the east.  No help in the form of a PNA or a -NAO either. :(

240.jpg

300 hr.  The coldest anomalies now sit north of AK.  We do have a +PNA, which yields a trough in the east.

But we still have no help from the EPO or from high latitude blocking.  There is nothing to drive cold air into the region. :(

300.jpg

384 hr.  Coldest air continuing to leave Canada.  We still have a +PNA and an eastern trough.  This is clearly not a mild pattern, but it's not all that cold either.

This progression, if the ensembles are correct, does not represent one that would result in a wintry pattern in the SE.  That is not to say that we can't get lucky.

But cold is marginal, highs are weak, and systems will have no trouble cutting. If this plays out, it will take another couple of weeks to potentially get into a better pattern. :(

384.jpg

The good news is that the MJO is progged to go strongly into Phase 8.  This is a favorable phase for Feb.  But if there's no cold air to work with, it may end up underperforming:

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif

^^Great explanation CR. Seems like, most of the times, when we get a good pattern the cold is lacking. In the last few years, we haven't had many true arctic plunges (Siberian origin) into the southeast. Sometimes the cold that North America generates is good enough, but the farther into February we get the harder that will get.   

5 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

^^Great explanation CR. Seems like, most of the times, when we get a good pattern the cold is lacking. In the last few years, we haven't had many true arctic plunges (Siberian origin) into the southeast. Sometimes the cold that North America generates is good enough, but the farther into February we get the harder that will get.   

Thank you sir.  I agree with you that we don't need Siberian air down this way to get a good winter storm.  But I'd sure like to see it in a position to be tapped by a nice, strong, well-placed high pressure, as opposed to this (I mean, our source regions are just baking!):

gfs-ens_T850a_nhem_65.png

We're saved from torching by a western ridge/eastern trough.  But this doesn't look winterish to me.  Where was the +PNA a couple of weeks ago, when it could have been really useful??

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thank you sir.  I agree with you that we don't need Siberian air down this way to get a good winter storm.  But I'd sure like to see it in a position to be tapped by a nice, strong, well-placed high pressure, as opposed to this (I mean, our source regions are just baking!):

gfs-ens_T850a_nhem_65.png

We're saved by a western ridge/eastern trough.  But this doesn't look winterish to me.  Where was the +PNA a couple of weeks ago, when it could have been really useful??

Yep, 2m temps look similar; which is still only marginal (at best) for wintery precip. 38 and rain is still below normal temps for us.

Archived