joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS isn't far off from a significant ice storm for February 5-6th. The dewpoints are in the low to mid teens with a decent HP feeding cold, dry air as the system moves in. A lot of areas see rain simply because the GFS is terrible with wedges this far out and because the precip arrives at peak heating. The signal is there for a pretty big ice event if it arrives a little bit earlier to lock in the wedge. Good trends. 

2 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

GFS isn't far off from a significant ice storm for February 5-6th. The dewpoints are in the low to mid teens with a decent HP feeding cold, dry air as the system moves in. A lot of areas see rain simply because the GFS is terrible with wedges this far out and because the precip arrives at peak heating. The signal is there for a pretty big ice event if it arrives a little bit earlier to lock in the wedge. Good trends. 

The storms often arrive faster than modeled by 6-12 hours, 95% of the time

4 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

really nice low run but no snow ?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_35.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png

I'm no expert, but I think the placement of that great lakes low is an issue on this run compared to the 18z version that gave us a more widespread winter storm from yesterday.  Also, the high doesn't hang on long enough over PA/NY.

4 minutes ago, SouthWake33 said:

I'm no expert, but I think the placement of that great lakes low is an issue on this run compared to the 18z version that gave us a more widespread winter storm from yesterday.  Also, the high doesn't hang on long enough over PA/NY.

That high retreats entirely too quicky. Over central US at 1032mb, 12 hours later weaker over the NE....

13 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

cmc looks totally different no low in south at 210 its in Canada with rain in the south

Disegarding specifics for that particular storm, this run is actually really good. The west coast ridge connects to the AK ridging on 2/8, tons of more confluence/cold in Canada this run, to work with... that low in the lakes isn't our storm, it's actually a 995mb low that breaks off of the feature on the coast of Washington State, breaking off Day 7 and heading to the lakes. That's completely bogus as the low track kinda phases with our low...I buy some kind of break off from the washington state feature, but if you look at the 500mb height anomalies from last run compared to the current, lots has changed in the PAC..

21 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Even if none of these storm threats pan out, it's going to be hard for Feb to torch if the GFS's 500 mb depiction is correct in the medium/LR.

Second half looks pretty torchy on most models, but I agree. The 10-15 day looks amazing. CFS will be wrong if it holds this mornings look for tomorrow, period. 

10 minutes ago, Jon said:

Second half looks pretty torchy on most models, but I agree. The 10-15 day looks amazing. CFS will be wrong if it holds this mornings look for tomorrow, period. 

We have, what, 2 more CFS progs to go?  I hope they come in warmer than today's run, because a), either we'll set a record for Feb or b ), it'll bust horrifically and we won't need to worry a thing about it anymore.

Archived