Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

1 minute ago, griteater said:

The clipper look turned poor on the modeling....Euro pretty much won out there

Out to 150 on GFS....the PV and associated trough into New England are farther east this run....I suspect the GFS will move north with the storm this run...we'll see

Isn't there some crap storm around the 3rd, then " the one" on 6-8th timeframe?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The split flow and Pacific wave train in the southern stream is just beautiful here...but we've got to have the northern stream cold press over the Great Lakes and the Northeast.  Out to 189 the wave is digging nicely into the 4 corners and positive tilt but our PV has moved out of SE Canada and we are lacking cold reinforcement

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

The split flow and Pacific wave train in the southern stream is just beautiful here...but we've got to have the northern stream cold press over the Great Lakes and the Northeast.  Out to 189 the wave is digging nicely into the 4 corners and positive tilt but our PV has moved out of SE Canada and we are lacking cold reinforcement

Looks like the vort that is not coming out to help our clipper, kicks out in front of the Super Bowl vort, into the gulf? Doesn't mean much, but interesting

@hr 210 on the euro, 2m temps are 33 from CLT to RDU, 850s look good from 95 west in NC. York county, SC until North GA look good too. All these areas get at least 4 inches all snow, with ~ 7 inches east northeast of Raleigh toward VA border.

Raleigh 6"
Charlotte 5"
Gastonia 6"
Shelby 5"
Hickory 4.5"
Spartanburg County in SC is a big swing, with 6 in the northern part and 2 in the southern half.

Atlanta is all rain, 850s around 6 degrees C, and 2m temps in upper 30s F.

7 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Clipper looks like a dud, outside of high mountains in NC

Asheville starting to look pretty good for a ground covering, maybe just enough to close schools.  It doesn't take much especially with the cold temps, it will stick Sunday night.

Someone find my post when I said to wait until Jan 27 10 days or to see a storm on the models lol. I need to play the lottery now. 

But seirioisly, I think we got pretty lucky to see both model OPs throw out a storm today. Ensembles aren't too impressive (GEFS mean  is skewed by one member and the EPS doesn't have much support as far as snow maps go)

BUT here's the 500mb look, you can see the EPS has our shortwave over Kentucky, that wouldn't be good - it needs to be over the gulf states. With that said, at least the EPS has a storm. Also, the ridging that I mentioned could possibly connect to the ridging over Alaska is happening here - very good sign to help the storm dig SE. 

IMG_6191.PNG

I always know what the EURO shows by checking my iPhone app before anything else. This morning it has the big snowflake for next Sunday/Monday (but with highs both days in the mid 40s :/). Anyway...so far this winter the GFS has had the edge around day 5. Who has the edge at days 8-9? 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Someone find my post when I said to wait until Jan 27 10 days or to see a storm on the models lol. I need to play the lottery now. 

But seirioisly, I think we got pretty lucky to see both model OPs throw out a storm today. Ensembles aren't too impressive (GEFS mean  is skewed by one member and the EPS doesn't have much support as far as snow maps go)

BUT here's the 500mb look, you can see the EPS has our shortwave over Kentucky, that wouldn't be good - it needs to be over the gulf states. With that said, at least the EPS has a storm. Also, the ridging that I mentioned could possibly connect to the ridging over Alaska is happening here - very good sign to help the storm dig SE. 

IMG_6191.PNG

As you mentioned at southernwx the northern stream is key to this , without confluence there is no shot as it will run to our west 

We're still quite a bit out from this one but the setup looks enticing.  Regardless, for this to work the PNA ridge MUST be in place and the PV over SE Canada.  Got to have well established cold air in place.  That was our issue with the early Jan event for those S of 85

Archived