Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Yes, that one was horrible.  At least part of the fun of winter is tracking storms with you all, even if they don't pan out.  This winter has been not much fun.

2012 is already off the table though since most of us have had at least some winter precip. 2013 is alive and well though. I did get my one and only experience with thundersnow in 2013 though.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jshetley said:

2012 is already off the table though since most of us have had at least some winter precip. 2013 is alive and well though. I did get my one and only experience with thundersnow in 2013 though.

I have never experienced thundersnow.  Guess that opportunity is circling the drain this year too.

32 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I have never experienced thundersnow.  Guess that opportunity is circling the drain this year too.

March 1993.  The first time I saw it.  Pretty amazing middle of the day ripping snow with thunder and lightning.  Many, many strikes.  Absolutely amazing to experience.  

37 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

German Model? 

Defeated.

23 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

French?

Surrendered.

29 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

March 1993.  The first time I saw it.  Pretty amazing middle of the day ripping snow with thunder and lightning.  Many, many strikes.  Absolutely amazing to experience.  

Yeah, I've heard stories about that one.  Shame we were on the wrong side over here.

Hoping for a flurry (...sad times):

The continental flow will keep us dry for much of the period but
there is some question about Sunday night when a developing low off
of the east coast interacts with an upper level wave to our
northwest. The end result could be enough moisture to produce a few
flurries or brief snow showers across the northern tier of the
forecast area Sunday night into early Monday morning
. QPF values are
very low at this time so no accumulation is expected. Temperature
profiles and partial thicknesses look cold enough at this time to
support snow but if precipitation were to occur across the southern
tier at all it could present as flurries or sprinkles. Again, very
minimal no impact event if it occurs at all.

Pac jet is way too strong.  You simply can't have a jet that strong in the Pacific unless you either have something to deflect it, i.e. +PNA or something to greatly suppress it, i.e. hyper blocking over Greenland and into eastern Canada -- not weak ridging in that area -- hyper blocking.  Otherwise, you get a jet slamming into the west coast, keeping them cool and stormy and flooding the mid and southern tier of the US with Pacific air.  The only benefit of the big AK block is to keep Canada cold...which is good IF it remains in place and IF the Pac jet slows down or gets deflected or suppressed.  And none of those things appear to be substantially in the cards anytime soon.  Thanks ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++QBO!

15 minutes ago, packbacker said:

When there is a 546dm ridge right over AK and that still can't deliver BN temps to us then you know winter is over.

I think that's reasonable at that timeframe though Pack.  It's a trough that is moving toward the west coast prior to the AK ridge going up.  After the AK ridge goes up, then some arctic air can be dislodged if the wave breaking with the ridge is favorable.  The AK ridge looks stout, but the ongoing issues remain....that is, -EPO tends to halt the bulk of the cold to our NW...and we don't have -AO/-NAO to send more of it south.

26 minutes ago, griteater said:

I think that's reasonable at that timeframe though Pack.  It's a trough that is moving toward the west coast prior to the AK ridge going up.  After the AK ridge goes up, then some arctic air can be dislodged if the wave breaking with the ridge is favorable.  The AK ridge looks stout, but the ongoing issues remain....that is, -EPO tends to halt the bulk of the cold to our NW...and we don't have -AO/-NAO to send more of it south.

I dunno...that's a stout AK block day 8+ on the EPS and the deep cold barely penetrates the conus.  This reminds me of a cross between 79 and 82.   I been looking for winters with that strong AK block and the muted temps the EPS is showing and don't find any.  The 79/82 analogs are not blocky other then the AK block either.

I left out Feb 2014 as it had a nice -AO to go with the AK block.

I am sure the EPS is right but just feel like with that block even with a neutral AO and days 11+ a neutral PNA.  So with that said if this is the best we can do for BN temps with that AK block and neutral AO/PNA then winter really is over for us.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 4.26.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 4.27.10 PM.png

37 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Might as well make a spring thread.

Good with me.  If there is no snow in the long term and thugs aren't looking good let's close up shop on winter.  Time to put the boat in the water.   I am all for tracking winter weather but if we ain't getting any let's get on to spring and summer.  

7 minutes ago, griteater said:

^ If that AK block forms like that, there will be some cold air sent down....but again, the bulk stays to our NW or W.

Good point...I should have clarified the deepest cold would be in central/southern plains.   Like the control run is showing, but it has a 570dm ridge, LOL.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 4.51.30 PM.png

GFS Para hours 276 and 384 are money! These look to be some real drought busters!

Beggers can't be choosers. We all love winter and as much as we hate to ride with our sunroof down in the heart of winter we can all agree we needed the rain. 

On a side note: What are the odds someone in our region sets a record daily low temperature before February is over? Would the lack of snow cover on the east cost make that impossible regardless of the pattern?

Archived