Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I wonder why ? I guess East-Central NC has had a lot of CAD to make things cooler ?

Well, it does seem like we have had a lot of CAD events this year, and those do tend to suppress torches for highs, but CAD regimes tend t be warm at night due to all the cloud cover so I am not sure they even have a net cooling affect when mean temps are considered.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'm not convinced that we can blame this solely or primarily on the Nina.  The signal was weak at best.  True the southeast ridge has been dominant, but is La Nina the only thing that can cause that?

We have had canonical Nina forcing with a hearty +AO which is recipe for SE warmth.  Even with the bouts of the -EPO/-WPO.    We knew we were getting the Nina but the strong AO was a killer with a -PNA.   

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We have had canonical Nina forcing with a hearty +AO which is recipe for SE warmth.  Even with the bouts of the -EPO/-WPO.    We knew we were getting the Nina but the strong AO was a killer with a -PNA.   

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++QBO

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Sigh.  That is four out of the last six winters (11-12, 12-13, 15-16, 16-17) which have been duds (unless something miraculous happens in Feb).  YOu can tell its weighing on the forum.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++QBO

What affect does the QBO have on our sensible weather?  I had read that west phase was hostile to HLB, but yesterday someone told me that the correlation wasn't meaningful for most conditions.

7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Sigh.  That is four out of the last six winters (11-12, 12-13, 15-16, 16-17) which have been duds (unless something miraculous happens in Feb).  YOu can tell its weighing on the forum.

And 5 out of the last 6 winters for Atlanta. 14-15 was a dud for the I-20 corridor.

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

What affect does the QBO have on our sensible weather?  I had read that west phase was hostile to HLB, but yesterday someone told me that the correlation wasn't meaningful for most conditions.

So how's this strat warming, February to remember coming along? Still looking good at day 15 on GFS , good! Thought we'd lost the pipe-busting cold that keeps showing up only on the GFS ! 

7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Off the top of my head...since 2005 (13 winters), we have had 3 BN, 1N and 9 AN.  In 2020 we will be comparing seasonal avgs against a new, higher 30 year norm, so maybe that starts changing.   Unfortunately that won't help our seasonal snowfall average which is quickly turning into very Miami like.  

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Off the top of my head...since 2005 (13 winters), we have had 3 BN, 1N and 9 AN.  In 2020 we will be comparing seasonal avgs against a new, higher 30 year norm, so maybe that starts changing.   Unfortunately that won't help our seasonal snowfall average which is quickly turning into very Miami like.  

I'm not sure that mean is the best tool to look at snowfall, though.  Snowfall average seems to be very non-normally distributed and I suspect that the mean is heavily influenced by the outliers, like the 25.8 inches in January 2001.  I downloaded some monthly data from RDU today that goes back to 1944.  I mean to shift through when I get time.  A few weeks ago in the run-up to the winter-storm "event" I think I remember Greg Fishel saying that the median (as opposed to mean) for snowfall at RDU is only something like 0.75".

21 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'm not sure that mean is the best tool to look at snowfall, though.  Snowfall average seems to be very non-normally distributed and I suspect that the mean is heavily influenced by the outliers, like the 25.8 inches in January 2001.  I downloaded some monthly data from RDU today that goes back to 1944.  I mean to shift through when I get time.  A few weeks ago in the run-up to the winter-storm "event" I think I remember Greg Fishel saying that the median (as opposed to mean) for snowfall at RDU is only something like 0.75".

The median is 0.75" if we use the past 10-11 years, as that's 5 snowy winters and 6 non-snowy.  If we had looked at our median since 2000 after last winter it would have been 6.5", using median over longer stretches makes more sense, longer than 10 or 16 years or 20 years.  The median has definitely dropped since the 90's, as you see below, but so has our mean, anyway you look at the numbers its not good.  Climate probably is changing and what we are experiencing is the new norm....in 20 years we will probably look back at a winter like this and appreciate the 0.5" of snow/sleet alot more.  For reference, our current 30 year running mean is 5.5", it was almost 9" back in the late 80's.  Good bet we won't see averages like that in our lifetimes.

RDU Median snowfall

127 years (5.9")

70 years (5.7")

50 years (5.7")

20 years (2.5")

10 minutes ago, packbacker said:

RDU Median snowfall

127 years (5.9")

70 years (5.7")

50 years (5.7")

20 years (2.5")

So, according to this long-term 'trend', we can expect it to take 30 years to return to 5.9 - 5.7" median?
Unless that conveyer of salt water in the Atlantic gets too fresh of course... ;)
Models seem to agree.
JK - positive thoughts... Counting on March and April.

23 minutes ago, packbacker said:

The median is 0.75" if we use the past 10-11 years, as that's 5 snowy winters and 6 non-snowy.  If we had looked at our median since 2000 after last winter it would have been 6.5", using median over longer stretches makes more sense, longer than 10 or 16 years or 20 years.  The median has definitely dropped since the 90's, as you see below, but so has our mean, anyway you look at the numbers its not good.  Climate probably is changing and what we are experiencing is the new norm....in 20 years we will probably look back at a winter like this and appreciate the 0.5" of snow/sleet alot more.  For reference, our current 30 year running mean is 5.5", it was almost 9" back in the late 80's.  Good bet we won't see averages like that in our lifetimes.

RDU Median snowfall

127 years (5.9")

70 years (5.7")

50 years (5.7")

20 years (2.5")

Interesting data, thanks for sharing.  I don't think there is any "probably" about anything, this is the new normal, and the reason analogs are almost useless these days.

Wasnt this thread for serious input?  I'm not going to mention any names, I shouldn't have to, but there is some serious trash in here.  I respectfully read way more than I post out of respect for the ones who put their hard efforts into breaking down real data.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

RDU Median snowfall

127 years (5.9")

70 years (5.7")

50 years (5.7")

20 years (2.5")

Indeed. Sometimes I wish I enjoyed warm weather and hated cold.  Then going into our climate future would be like going into some new exciting frontier.  Instead I get to see the weather I love slowly die.  It really gets me down.  The worst thing is that no one around me understands these feelings.  That's why having you guys is so important.  You are like my group therapy session.

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Indeed. Sometimes I wish I enjoyed warm weather and hated cold.  Then going into our climate future would be like going into some new exciting frontier.  Instead I get to see the weather I love slowly die.  It really gets me down.  The worst thing is that no one around me understands these feelings.  That's why having you guys is so important.  You are like my group therapy session.

One of these days when you are old you can tell your grandkids what it was like when it used to snow in the south.

5 minutes ago, Jonesing for a chase said:

6z also very close to something around day 7, light snow over Virginia.  Need to pull for just a little more westward shift of the trough and a little digging of the energy and it might get interesting.

I saw that. We'll have to keep an eye on these clippers as they get closer. Models have always performed poorly with these type of systems.

8 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I agree, if you love warm weather you would be in hog heaven with what the future seems to hold, I wish it was the other way around cold and snow for the future winters.  I love the warmer weather in spring but would like snow for most of the winter.

Archived