SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated last night, the GFS at 6z and 12z is just about to hit the Boom button for second half of next week. See if the Doc, Ukie or german model can light the fuse and give us a big phaser.

Two posters who are getting ready to strike Gold is Met and Joe. That western facing high elev real-estate is the place to be next couple of weeks.

42 minutes ago, raysum said:

From Bastardi on Twitter....if only if it will come true...

C2jLiPtWQAAHOVA.jpg

These change so much every day they're basically pointless...

the one on the top left occurs Jan 29 - Feb 3, FWIW. It will change tomorrow, though.

44 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

As stated last night, the GFS at 6z and 12z is just about to hit the Boom button for second half of next week. See if the Doc, Ukie or german model can light the fuse and give us a big phaser.

Two posters who are getting ready to strike Gold is Met and Joe. That western facing high elev real-estate is the place to be next couple of weeks.

Yeah the models look better in my opinion than yesterday. Clipper parade sucks for most but iv seen us get 1 to 2 feet in 3 days with upslope snow. The 12z is a thing of beauty. 

12Z Euro looks pretty good at 240 with Pack's ridge bridge trying to connect.  If that could expand, that would be great.  Perhaps like the weeklies were putting together the last few runs.  If the weeklies hold strong tonight, perhaps that's a sign we're on the right track for February, at least for keeping the -EPO/PNA cold in play.  Watching the models spit out nothing but northern stream blanks the whole run doesn't fill be with hope for mby though. 

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

I seriously wouldn't worry about the cold, dry pattern that everybody is talking about.  Think about it like this.  You will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get winter weather with this pattern:

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_7.png

NEVER NEVER EVER EVER.

On the other hand, there are PLENTY of ways you can get winter weather out of this pattern:

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_36.png

Don't walk around scraping your chin on the floor because there isn't a 30000 hour snowstorm showing up.  Because those work out so well.  Give the pattern time to develop in order to see what kind of pattern actually develops before you turn the cat upside down.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

I seriously wouldn't worry about the cold, dry pattern that everybody is talking about.  Think about it like this.  You will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get winter weather with this pattern:

NEVER NEVER EVER EVER.

On the other hand, there are PLENTY of ways you can get winter weather out of this pattern:

Don't walk around scraping your chin on the floor because there isn't a 30000 hour snowstorm showing up.  Because those work out so well.  Give the pattern time to develop in order to see what kind of pattern actually develops before you turn the cat upside down.

Here here! Great post bud!

"Don't walk around scraping your chin on the floor because there isn't a 30000 hour snowstorm showing up.  Because those work out so well.  Give the pattern time to develop in order to see what kind of pattern actually develops before you turn the cat upside down."

Sage advice from a very smart weather guy.

40 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

NEVER NEVER EVER EVER.

Preach!!!! I'll take my 2 day cold shot, clipper rain, then cold again! And like it

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Big Frosty, need a translation from your buddy JB!? On FB he has one sentence: Euro... Tee heee heee heee

is that good or bad?

My guess it's for the day 4-5 interior NE snow event.  

The EPS goes -PNA down the road but hopefully we move into something after that with scand. ridge building to Aleutian ridge that the GEFS has been leading the way on :-). 

This is what the first week of Feb 14 looked like to compare. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 3.59.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 4.02.41 PM.png

1 hour ago, frazdaddy said:

"Don't walk around scraping your chin on the floor because there isn't a 30000 hour snowstorm showing up.  Because those work out so well.  Give the pattern time to develop in order to see what kind of pattern actually develops before you turn the cat upside down."

Sage advice from a very smart weather guy.

My cats have been upside down a lot through the years. :)  Jon hit the nail on the head earlier this year about us needing a fantasy storm to show up.  We're starting to really need another one really bad!  Hopefully soon....

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Once the GEFS comes along, it holds on strong!

Or something like that....amirite?

I just never bought the +PNA pattern with nina background still and the GEFS got off that fairly quick.  But, as long as we are seeing the Aleutian ridge trying to build poleward I think we will have a chance and with what is going on with the strat you could argue a more sustained -EPO/-WPO pattern rather  but who knows.   Once we see a big low setup over Ak into Russia, like we are just coming out of,  we will know that will be the winter.  So far we don't see that on the extended and CFS doesn't show that...yet.

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Herpes!?

Not in North Carolina!

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

I have no clue on Feb...Ventrice says it's cool over the U.S., and strat is weakening...but La Nina lurks with warmth.  I went near normal in my outlook so I'm good  :)

This is has got to be some kind of record for the lamest fading Nina ever having moderate/strong Nina characteristics.

Archived