SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the ensembles at this point, I think what's coming at the end of January is no more than a transient cold shot which is gone by the end of the first week in February.  The trough moves through, and that's it...ridging builds back in the SE. I hope I'm wrong and our unicorn the SSW helps us out.  

30 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I cant think of too many times we've had a 976 low in york county, SC at 102.

This is approaching the superstorm 93 strength if it verifies. I'm not sure how low the pressure with that system got while it was over the Carolinas, but I think it was down to 961MB off the Delaware coast.

17 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Who cares about this minor Fropa on Sunday, where's our snow?? :(

I'll agree, I'm glad we're going to get the rain, we need it, but where is our snow, I'm trying to wait out this boring weather but it just keeps going on and on and on.

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I think his MJO analogs have been good so far this winter.

Yeah he's good with that stuff Pack.  So he's suggesting that a -EPO will have longer legs thru Feb....but with +NAO being a deterrent for driving the cold deep into the SE (though it could be a lot worse).  It looks like his forecast is based on tropical forcing and likely doesn't incorporate any minor or major SSW effects, if there are any.

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

yeah 'wow', some of these latest models runs have been close to giving us a storm...steep ridge with energy diving south

Yes. Big phasing events can be good for the western parts of our region as long as it happens far enough south.   The lack of a strong PV (but enough cold air to work with) allows the jets to phase more easily.  I think the late Jan period will be a stormy one for some.

Archived