Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jshetley said:

Yeah what a finish to that winter for 75% of us. The superstorm only gave my area around 3-4 inches of snow, but MANY of us were measuring snow in feet from that one.

Measured 2 feet in my yard when that storm was over.  South Asheville area between Asheville and Hendersonville.  Started snowing Friday evening and didn't quit until Sunday evening.

43 minutes ago, griteater said:

Kind of looks like we get a +PNA ridge spike for a few days, then a -EPO ridge spike.  All depends on the details (ridge placement / trop PV placement / pattern longevity), but it's a pretty good look overall.  Plenty of ways for it to fail/collapse though, lol

We need to split the trop PV or really stretch the crap out of it if we want anything but a transient cool down.  The trop PV is over the pole towards asia feeding wave after wave to the Pac which sets all this off next week.   Models are hinting at the trop PV elongating but still over the pole with a piece getting closer to NA.  GEPS probably had the best look at day 16, if we are playing hug your favorite cold/snowy model run.

gem-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_65.png

I don't know any other way to say this, so I'm just gonna go ahead and rip the bandaid off:  Other than the clipper and a couple of cold, dry days, the 18z GFS was a complete and utter disasterous dumpster fire of a run, if you want a transition to a sustained cold and stormy pattern.  The end of the run was atrocious.

12 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I don't know any other way to say this, so I'm just gonna go ahead and rip the bandaid off:  Other than the clipper and a couple of cold, dry days, the 18z GFS was a complete and utter disasterous dumpster fire of a run, if you want a transition to a sustained cold and stormy pattern.  The end of the run was atrocious.

Don't leave us now CR!!  Funny, from the 18z run, there are 3 mega clipper analogs that dropped over 5 inches of snow at RDU.  It's all we got for now with the pattern!  GFS Ens run was decent, but yeah, a lot of NW flow

2k3b5i.gif

2mq7zq1.gif

38 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Come on man, friends don't let friends look at 300+ hour op runs!! Brick probably doesn't understand , but you!? You should probably have a red tag , and your looking at GFS op end of run, snap out of it Pa... I mean Cold_Rain!

16 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Come on man, friends don't let friends look at 300+ hour op runs!! Brick probably doesn't understand , but you!? You should probably have a red tag , and your looking at GFS op end of run, snap out of it Pa... I mean Cold_Rain!

Lol I couldn't give a fresh turd ferguson about what the 18z GFS shows!  I just posted that cause there ain't nothing else going on.  It'll be different again in a while.

Grit, that clipper looks good.  5" of fluffy snow would be pretty awesome. It'll probably correct *gasp* north over the next 10 days, but hey, we finally have something to look at in model land.

Ajr, you do indeed remember correctly!

Count me out with the whole mega clipper deal.  If that's what we end up having to track at the end of the month, I just won't have enough eye rolls to last the month.  :rolleyes:It's the 18z gfs op, so toss.  When the ensembles look like that....crap city.  Here we go again...save us SSW!!

Wonder if the SOI crash will do work even if it goes back up....from the tweet they seem to think it will.  Huge piece of the puzzle going into February. 

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

That's impressive!  But don't worry, we'll get our cold in April.  It's a step down process!

That's a joke, but what's sad is it isn't.  We've had such bad winters in the past but usually when it's too late, say mid March we always get cool/cold weather with crazy blocking that's just enough to make for a crappy cold spring, but no snow. There's got to be something to that, why we always get blocking in the spring and summer but never winter. 

9 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

That's a joke, but what's sad is it isn't.  We've had such bad winters in the past but usually when it's too late, say mid March we always get cool/cold weather with crazy blocking that's just enough to make for a crappy cold spring, but no snow. There's got to be something to that, why we always get blocking in the spring and summer but never winter. 

We don't really have crappy, cold springs down here. I mean unless you consider highs in the 60s in April cold ? Actually I prefer it to be a little cooler than normal in the spring because above normal would mean pretty darn warm by the time we get to May.

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

We don't really have crappy, cold springs down here. I mean unless you consider highs in the 60s in April cold ? Actually I prefer it to be a little cooler than normal in the spring because above normal would mean pretty darn warm by the time we get to May.

Looks like a Nino setting up for the summer, so Shetleys drought won't worsen! And next years winter will be rockin!! 

La nino+low solar minimum+wet summer+ SOI= party in the bathtub next winter! :)

37 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

That's impressive!  But don't worry, we'll get our cold in April.  It's a step down process!

I'll see your 18zgfs and raise you a 12z para-GFS !! Last frame, beautiful gulf storm, right off of New Orleans, bout to turn the corner...... Whammy, 540 over PA! Let's not worry about temps now, the track is money! Waiting on CMC ! :)

32 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

The best jokes always have a smidgen of truth in them. :)

I do not know what it is about -NAOs and winter, but for some reason, they just can't occur in winter, although they have no trouble occurring in any other season, and for extended periods of time.

6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'll see your 18zgfs and raise you a 12z para-GFS !! Last frame, beautiful gulf storm, right off of New Orleans, bout to turn the corner...... Whammy, 540 over PA! Let's not worry about temps now, the track is money! Waiting on CMC ! :)

You need to fold!  That low is headed to Cuba.  Look at the massive positive tilt to the trough.  Let's see what the paranormal Navgem says.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I do not know what it is about -NAOs and winter, but for some reason, they just can't occur in winter, although they have no trouble occurring in any other season, and for extended periods of time.

To quote a self-professed philosopher (my carpenter) - "It is what it is".

Damn does my wife hate to hear him say that, for obviou$ reasons  LOL

Archived