Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I had mentioned somewhere in the thread that there would be an uptick in severe weather around here. Someone will start a thread and it will be off and running. I do like the potential for severe weather especially east of the moutains. 

Sunday and maybe Monday too could be decent for severe, depending on timing, and especially if there is no wedge. One thing that could make the event weaker is if gulf coast convection cuts off moisture.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Why is the discussion here weather orientated towards some cold air? Why is no one talking about the upcoming severe weather event ,which may be one of the bigger events in the recent years for the SE?

Not sure I agree with one of the biggest events in recent years for the SE part, but I don't usually care until 2 days out or so. Most of us are used to tracking severe and we get quite a bit in normal climo times. I usually wait for mesoscale modeling to see if the cells are discrete or if we are dealing with a MCS type event, then discuss from there. Much less of a build up than a 100 page snowstorm thread lol, but that's just how it goes here.

1 hour ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Per Jb, 

Some Big hitters now, But US Model too much W Trough

Whle there are some lousy years showing up, some infamous cold Febs are in the day 11 analog

1995 was cold Feb in the east, but not much snow ( 1 storm(

1958 was lights out 2 years show up

1980 was cold, but alot of the snow stayed in the south

1960 had the coldest 2 weeks to open march in recorded history in the Carolinas

1978 with 2 votes, speaks for self

1981 was lousy

2001 was ok

what does the blend give of using day 11 analogs. ( again this is the US model which is having trouble in the west as we showed with its runs against the other modeling and against its own self)

1980 was money in the SE.  February 1980 ranks as the coldest average daily temperature for any February on record at GSP.  3" snow first week of January followed by 3 weeks of very warm temps and then the bottom fell out on February.  Multiple storms in February followed by a big storm to start March.  Jan 17 is following the pattern so far of 1980....would be awesome if Feb followed the same pattern as 80.

10 minutes ago, Jon said:

Not sure I agree with one of the biggest events in recent years for the SE part, but I don't usually care until 2 days out or so. Most of us are used to tracking severe and we get quite a bit in normal climo times. I usually wait for mesoscale modeling to see if the cells are discrete or if we are dealing with a MCS type event, then discuss from there. Much less of a build up than a 100 page snowstorm thread lol, but that's just how it goes here.

Hey Jon - What is this stuff y'all call "snow"? LOL - Phil

PS - I know what a T-storm is - 9 months of the year they are at my doorstep!

27 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

1980 was money in the SE.  February 1980 ranks as the coldest average daily temperature for any February on record at GSP.  3" snow first week of January followed by 3 weeks of very warm temps and then the bottom fell out on February.  Multiple storms in February followed by a big storm to start March.  Jan 17 is following the pattern so far of 1980....would be awesome if Feb followed the same pattern as 80.

I remember the March 2nd 1980 storm like it was yesterday (I was 15 at the time). I have been patiently waiting the last 37 years for a repeat. Temps in the single digits during the height of the storm. Simply amazing.... This Feb/Mar has a chance to bring us something noteworthy. Let's reel it in...

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Cause generally, it's a lot of NC and SC posters and most are always more interested in snow and 99% of the time, the wedge saves most of us from severe weather! Since I personally got hit by a tornado about a week after Thanksgiving, I'll have one good eye on it!! BF and JB, how's it going?

We're doing good!! Thanks for asking! 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

uhh there hasn't been a real significant event since 4/28 in the SE.

55 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

uhh there hasn't been a real significant event since 4/28 in the SE.

uhhhh, speaking of only NC we've had 24 tornado reports since 2015.

By signficant I guess you mean full fledged balls to the wall outbreak with 153 tornado reports? Yeah, probably not going to happen in late January...

But let's see anyway what we got here.

This one is a good one.

xC4ZJ7O.png

and this one

Vzkl71O.png

Outside of NC, the "SE" as you mentioned, this one is memorable:

3bx45h8.png

and this

8iX3AlX.png

or this

IlMUDzJ.png

maybe this

hvTw0GC.png

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Not sure what's going on with the Euro, but I wish it went out 1-2 more days! 0z looked fun to me

otoh, the 6z GFS looks like Dookies! A couple lows in the upper 20s near end of the month, and by Feb 1st, it's cold in Canada, N of Maine,then the plains are warming again!! #PATTERNCHANGE

#TRANSIENT

JB just put out some really good tweets this morning on evolution of the pattern.  Here's one dealing with the strat warm and SOI I mentioned yesterday:

Joe Bastardi Retweeted Joe Bastardi

Huge SOI crash and strat warm signal that the second half of winter in the east will feature big comeback

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Not sure what's going on with the Euro, but I wish it went out 1-2 more days! 0z looked fun to me

otoh, the 6z GFS looks like Dookies! A couple lows in the upper 20s near end of the month, and by Feb 1st, it's cold in Canada, N of Maine,then the plains are warming again!! #PATTERNCHANGE

6z is not a bad look. It's out in fantasy land, but just for fun it would have a nice 1056 high coming down from Canada and a low developing in S. Texas. It would be a race of the cold air coming in from the north and the moisture coming from the SW.

NotABadLook.jpg

Mack needs to step away from the guacamole dip.  All of the ensembles still look good for the end of the month and Feb, in terms of getting into a pattern where we can get cold again and have a chance at wintry precip.  I will let others weigh in on the SOI, strat stuff, CFS, Weeklies, etc.  But at least some of those look good, according to the tweets Packfan posted.

38 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

JB just put out some really good tweets this morning on evolution of the pattern.  Here's one dealing with the strat warm and SOI I mentioned yesterday:

Joe Bastardi Retweeted Joe Bastardi

Huge SOI crash and strat warm signal that the second half of winter in the east will feature big comeback

Meh, December into Januarywas said to be a cold and snowy holiday season like we havnt seen in years! December to remember and stuff! How'd that work out? Just take his enthusiasm for a cold and snowy East and winter comeback tweets, with a mountain of salt

Archived