• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Trying to keep this string alive while we wait for the short term storm.

Looks like maybe around the 19th we could see another cool down - from there, we'll see if it cools and if so, how much and where it leads, temp and precip wise. Not looking too bad, but certainly not wonderful.

Just tossing this out there for those who are not now-casting and may still be looking at the longer range ....

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a4001c4fbf342e766e5cf122213c5c9e.png

I'll just leave this here for people who see any slight SER on modeling and freak out. SER can produce positive outcomes. This is likely what kept this thing from sliding out to Cuba. Thank the SER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jon said:

a4001c4fbf342e766e5cf122213c5c9e.png

I'll just leave this here for people who see any slight SER on modeling and freak out. SER can produce positive outcomes. This is likely what kept this thing from sliding out to Cuba. Thank the SER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's doing nothing for SC though. I thinks folks here can still freak out when they see the SER.

2 hours ago, jshetley said:

It's doing nothing for SC though. I thinks folks here can still freak out when they see the SER

If you want a deep SE winter, there cannot be a SER of any consequence. It may be a boon to Boone perhaps, but not to the SE as a whole.

4 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

It is in the cards and should be wet. For about 15 days. I'm predicting the 5th - 20th.

Was just looking see if the nina forcing will relent...it's still all out nina at end of both GEFS/GEPS runs but CFS has been steady with flipping that the last week of Jan into Feb.  But to believe we need to start seeing it on the global ensembles.  Otherwise we will have to hope for another round of stout -EPO to dump cold into the east, but as you have seen it's only a few days and then we go right back to the pac low over AK with a displaced ridge.

So in summary...I see nothing on the ensembles of a true pattern change....#ninaSER

gfs-ens_chi200_global_33.png

CFS week 4:  Not exactly where we want it but -VP off 120E is a start.

cfs-avg_chi200Mean_global_4.png

So far this winter...pretty much a canonical nina pattern, displaced pac ridge, trough in the west, warm SE with a very stout SER.  Not the look of any our cold/snowy nina winters.  So I guess in some way the little bit of snow/ice we got today is pretty good.

compday.OLkM_4f1N1.gif

Actually when looking at this some more...it's worse then I thought, LOL.  The trop PV has set up shop by day 10 over AK, polar regions and over Greenland....and the strat PV is predicted to go off the charts strong when it's suppose to start weakening just based on seasonality, LOL.  Was wondering why CFS was still showing blowtorch for Feb when it's hinting at nina forcing potentially dying down.

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_41.png

50 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Actually when looking at this some more...it's worse then I thought, LOL.  The trop PV has set up shop by day 10 over AK, polar regions and over Greenland....and the strat PV is predicted to go off the charts strong when it's suppose to start weakening just based on seasonality, LOL.  Was wondering why CFS was still showing blowtorch for Feb when it's hinting at nina forcing potentially dying down.

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_41.png

Pack,

You are a whole lot smarter than I am. So please take this with a grain of salt. Just looking at everything I can get my eyes on, it seems that around Feb 3rd give or take (obviously that far away), there should (might???) be a change that we'd like. For a while but not long duration.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

So far this winter...pretty much a canonical nina pattern, displaced pac ridge, trough in the west, warm SE with a very stout SER.  Not the look of any our cold/snowy nina winters.  So I guess in some way the little bit of snow/ice we got today is pretty good.

compday.OLkM_4f1N1.gif

I find it fascinating that the Nina pattern is so strong when the nina itself is so weak; by some measures non-existent.

Next weekend at this time a different kind of challenge the warm-up of late week will be reversed by a massive high over the Great Lakes

Tweets

Old fashion coast to coast classic winter will include a January thaw but an American pie February. Listen to the song

23 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Next weekend at this time a different kind of challenge the warm-up of late week will be reversed by a massive high over the Great Lakes

Tweets

Old fashion coast to coast classic winter will include a January thaw but an American pie February. Listen to the song

Fab Feb delayed not denied.

We have seen many more instances of these strong highs this year than we have for the last few years.  They will keep us in the game for winter weather, as long as they continue to show up.  If they do, I remain optimistic about our chances for colder periods and  more wintry weather.

Archived