Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

The east coast heights fell early in the run tonight. Noticed right off bat first 72 hrs. Not sure why and it has to be a net effect from something upstream , pacific my 1st guess. 

PAC was much different....doesn't bury bulk of energy in the west.  

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

The UK is crazy cold day 5-6.   Hard to believe. 

Yea think QC must have run gfs soundings all the way out till end of run, but basically said charlotte stayed below freezing till Friday week after 1.3 qpf all snow.

If only. A good snow with several days of cold to follow. Wed have our bellys full and be ok with early spring. Well some would.

12 minutes ago, Jon said:

Of course.

Euro ensembles have only recently had bad runs, GFS has been all over the place. If we get the Op and more importantly the EPS back on board, it's something to take seriously. Of course not the 00z verbatim, but a more southern solution. Euro was consistent extremely far out on this one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to reel it in once more. As Pack has pointed out the 500mb look is all over the place nevermind the individual players and amplitude of the waves. Long way to go, but all options are on the table.

This. I encourage everyone to stay grounded here. As beautiful as this run looks, it is probably a fantasy best case run, and this is a looong way out, more than a week. We have some good pieces, but we'll see all kinds of solutions over the next 8 days, and some will look like the 18z. Look for trends and patterns over the next few days. I do think it's interesting the UKMET has been about the only model showing blocking far enough east consistently and we now have other models showing it at least for one run. For the most part, the trend has been to keep the trough too far west with the SER persistent. This suite run is the outlier, so we'll have to see what happens going forward. Long ways to go everyone, don't get too high or too low.

Just now, griteater said:

Just now seeing tonight's runs...oh my effing g, never would have thought this.  King UKMet I guess.  That UKMet run tonight went full tilt and too cold....burying the main wave off the west coast

We're still awaiting the King's word this evening. B)

1 minute ago, griteater said:

At 126, 850 0 deg stretches from Kill Devil Hills to Dallas.  It's colder for sure.  Wave still buried off of Oregon...who knows if/when it kicks out

Very interesting...12z had a SE ridge, this run the confluence is way east and organized tightly...big hit or not, huge trend in the right direction as far as temps. We may end up only worrying about track and moisture as current trends seem to show plenty of cold.

168 Sfc high over Kentucky.  850 0 deg from Amelia Island, FL to Dallas.  Big closed wave dropped down off Washington coast, and the initial wave off Oregon is getting sheared out.  Another sfc high coming down into E Montana.  Looks similar to UKMet where it may be too much of a good thing (cold), with storm not kicking out into the cold, we'll see

Archived