Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

If really want to see what a storm is going to do or understand the pattern looking at the 500mb charts is the way to go.  it shows the state of the over all pattern.  we like blue over us and red up above us.  the other way around is not pleasant if you like winter.  the surface is another matter entirely but usually matches what's happening at H5

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

H5 is just a fast way of saying 500mb heights.  the maps you see posted talking about "blocking" with reds and blues etc are 500mb generally.  usually, 500mb maps are better to use versus surface maps from a model to get a true idea of what is happening.

I understand that the answer may be too complex for a layman but why is the 500 millibar level so much better for understanding what is happening.  I also see 850 mb heights referenced quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I've seen that map many times.  Extreme northern wake may see some snow.  Everyone south of US-1 will be disappointed.  

Wake County is the cutoff line, no surprise. Per EuroWx, 6"+ for the northern half of the county, which quickly drops down to around 1" on the southern edge. Better than you think.

Just now, RubiksDestroyer said:

Wake County is the cutoff line, no surprise. Per EuroWx, 6"+ for the northern half of the county, which quickly drops down to around 1" on the southern edge. Better than you think.

EuroWX also has separate sleet and freezing rain maps I believe.  Is it showing major sleet and ice below the snow cutoff line?

Archived