Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

7 minutes ago, Wow said:

It was always brutally cold.  Here, it was in the teens and low 20s during the heart of it.  Was only 4 at the time but I remember it well!

I was in college and had to head back to wcu from down east a few days latter. Felt like I was riding in New England all the way back with snow plowed up along the interstate. The flakes in that storm where very numerous but only quater sized. It was like a constant heavy shower, very powdery. You couldn't even make snowballs even down east. Wasn't so much the 850s where cold but the surface layer was shallow true artic air.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody remember what "The Wolf" told Vincent and Jules when things were starting to look up in Pulp Fiction?  Let's keep our heads about us.

Lol. Not losing my head and I don't buy this 100%, just saying it goes both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

First legit snow storm on the models in several years. Love it! Thanks WOW for the map. 

Weird, it has been a while since we even seen one of these. Save it cause in 6 hrs it'll be different, gone. Use to get them every 6 hours it seemed like. Times are tough when your fantasy snow is down over 90% for the season on the gfs.

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Is this just the GFS operational?  Are any of the other models/ensembles hinting at this?

The 0z Euro is showing a less extreme event 2 days before this one with widespread Tennessee/North Carolina snow. 

These are showing the potential of the pattern that is being shown on the models. Can't really take any of these solutions as more than that for the next few days.

That's a thing of beauty right there.  Nice to see fantasy snow pop up for this time period off and on from various models.  I have no doubt it disappears on the next run but I think we've seen enough to know we have a chance around the end of the first week in January.  Best you can hope for at this point.  

I hate that seeing that makes me feel so good though.  I'm such a loser. :snowing:

Just now, John1122 said:

The 0z Euro is showing a less extreme event 2 days before this one with widespread Tennessee/North Carolina snow. 

These are showing the potential of the pattern that is being shown on the models. Can't really take any of these solutions as more than that for the next few days.

Fair enough.  It doesn't hurt to salivate over some fantasy maps every once and a while.

In general, are the GFS and Euro in agreement that the pattern is becoming more wintry int he SE.  And by wintry I mean 40s and low 50s instead of 60s?

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Is this just the GFS operational?  Are any of the other models/ensembles hinting at this?

I haven't seen the ensembles come out yet. However, this is not your typical fantasy storm. The percentages for this one is a little higher than most at that range just due to the cold air that we have to work with. With that being said, a lot can go wrong at this range. I give it a 10% chance of a winter storm of some kind affecting us during this time-frame but, only a 1 or 2% chance of a Jan 88 repeat. Now, obviously if this was within 5 days, the odds would be considerable higher. Let's reel this one in... P.S. I saved those snowfall GIFs for verification later.

6 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Yes at H5 there is a very strong signal, evidence that the opportunity exist during this time frame to score one. Can't get caught up, or juke by the surface maps off the operational models. This is just one of many possible scenerios. You have to look for trends and it's kinda like building a court case. As you get closer in time you'll see a case made why this window of time has potential and at times why it doesnt. So you zero in from the outside (5H) in (surface, micro climate, mby). Good news is at the moment alot of ens and models are showing the possibility of a pattern conducive to generating winter precip. About all we can ask for 7 to 10 days out.

3 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

That's a thing of beauty right there.  Nice to see fantasy snow pop up for this time period off and on from various models.  I have no doubt it disappears on the next run but I think we've seen enough to know we have a chance around the end of the first week in January.  Best you can hope for at this point.  

I hate that seeing that makes me feel so good though.  I'm such a loser. :snowing:

Not a loser at all- a great model run definitely puts me in a good mood as well 

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

Fair enough.  It doesn't hurt to salivate over some fantasy maps every once and a while.

In general, are the GFS and Euro in agreement that the pattern is becoming more wintry int he SE.  And by wintry I mean 40s and low 50s instead of 60s?

If the pattern progresses as modeled, there should be at least a week of very cold weather. Temps struggle to leave the 30s North of the Central Gulf Coast states with most of TN/NC struggling to get out of the 20s.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z GFS Ensemble individual members are pretty meh.  Some have wintry and a lot of close calls via one or 2 waves...I'm probably view them with a pessimistic eye though knowing that the north climb is inevitable.  I want to see every member with snow from Hattiesburg to Myrtle Beach at this timeframe, lol

JAN.png

7 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Yes at H5 there is a very strong signal, evidence that the opportunity exist during this time frame to score one. Can't get caught up, or juke by the surface maps off the operational models. This is just one of many possible scenerios. You have to look for trends and it's kinda like building a court case. As you get closer in time you'll see a case made why this window of time has potential and at times why it doesnt. So you zero in from the outside (5H) in (surface, micro climate, mby). Good news is at the moment alot of ens and models are showing the possibility of a pattern conducive to generating winter precip. About all we can ask for 7 to 10 days out.

I still have much to learn.  What is "H5"?

11 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z GFS Ensemble individual members are pretty meh.  Some have wintry and a lot of close calls via one or 2 waves...I probably view them with a pessimistic eye though knowing that the north climb is inevitable.  I want to see every member with snow from Hattiesburg to Myrtle Beach at this timeframe, lol

I think we are dealing with 2 waves here one next Thurs/Fri and the second Sun/Mon. Both thanks to artic front stalling along GC. So how this all shakes out with overuning, 2 seperate 1000mb waves not sure. But I do like the orientation of the flow, west to east and no signal that let's one of these waves bomb and spin up miller A fashion and become a inland runner up the coast. MBY wins in those scenerios alot but also looses as many. Don't want to take that risk.

11 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z GFS Ensemble individual members are pretty meh.  Some have wintry and a lot of close calls via one or 2 waves...I probably view them with a pessimistic eye though knowing that the north climb is inevitable.  I want to see every member with snow from Hattiesburg to Myrtle Beach at this timeframe, lol

Kind of surprised that was the worst run of the members for mean snowfall.  Trend has been to lower heights in the SE...

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_fh288_trend.gif

1 hour ago, MichaelJ said:

Don't want to quote it because it would take up a lot of space but the -EPO post above by Jon is excellent, a 5* post for sure, well done sir

Thank you sir!

Overall excited about this pattern, we'll see what the Euro brings us here in the next hour.

27 minutes ago, packbacker said:

CMC ensembles want nothing to do with the transient NAO...EPS for the tiebreaker.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 12.53.14 PM.png

Packbacker, I have been reading about Ensembles in general.  I have seen "EPS" used to stand for "Ensemble Prediction System".  Here you seem to be referring to a specific model.  Is it the Euro?

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Packbacker, I have been reading about Ensembles in general.  I have seen "EPS" used to stand for "Ensemble Prediction System".  Here you seem to be referring to a specific model.  Is it the Euro?

Yep...GEFS is GFS, GEPS is CMC(canadian) and EPS is Euro's.

47 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

If really want to see what a storm is going to do or understand the pattern looking at the 500mb charts is the way to go.  it shows the state of the over all pattern.  we like blue over us and red up above us.  the other way around is not pleasant if you like winter.  the surface is another matter entirely but usually matches what's happening at H5

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

H5 is just a fast way of saying 500mb heights.  the maps you see posted talking about "blocking" with reds and blues etc are 500mb generally.  usually, 500mb maps are better to use versus surface maps from a model to get a true idea of what is happening.

noaa definition is: 

500 millibar level height (in a standard atmosphere this is near 5,500 meters (18,000 ft)

Archived