Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

6 hours ago, burgertime said:

I feel your pain! But hey at least it's warm where you're at. My climate here during the winter is a constant 34 - 38 degrees with rain and wind. Biking too and from work every day. 

At least you get nice summers.  Summer is a nightmare here.  Winter must be brutal there, though.  Cold and it gets dark so early in Northern Europe, yet no snow...

Winter is pretty nice here temperature-wise, but I miss the snow. :(

I need to make it to Amsterdam sometime.  I haven’t yet made it to any of the Benelux countries for some reason, though I’ve been in every adjacent country.

I know you’ve been there for awhile, but are you there permanently or will you be moving back at some point?

You know, I still can't shake the feeling that SOMETHING unforeseen is going to go wrong with this storm.  An under-modeled warm nose, anomalous dry banding,  aliens from space using their death rays to zap the snow before it hits the ground.

And when it happens, this board is going to be near catatonic.

5 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

You know, I still can't shake the feeling that SOMETHING unforeseen is going to go wrong with this storm.  An under-modeled warm nose, anomalous dry banding,  aliens from space using their death rays to zap the snow before it hits the ground.

And when it happens, this board is going to be near catatonic.

The storm is still 3-4 days out, so there’s plenty of time for this one to head south in a big way.  It’s not like we haven’t seen that song and dance before...  Not that I expect that to happen here, but there’s always that chance.

I would imagine there’s going to be some sneaky warm noses, maybe in the 750ish mb range, that are going to cause more sleet than some might expect.  That seems so common with these systems.

I know I’ve seen many storms in GSO where there would be 12-24” gaudy clown map totals for days leading up to the storm only to end up with 6-8” of snow/sleet because of that mixing.  Which is still a nice storm, mind you..

The NAM seems like it usually does a good job with the mid-level thermals, so that’s probably one to pay attention to when we get closer (<48 hours).

2 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

The storm is still 3-4 days out, so there’s plenty of time for this one to head south in a big way.  It’s not like we haven’t seen that song and dance before...  Not that I expect that to happen here, but there’s always that chance.

By the way, I like your little header "1899 Repeat, Please".

I learned about the great 1899 cold outbreak in my well-loved copy of Christopher C. Burt's "Extreme Weather".  -2 F in Tallehassee!

Here is a link to a journal article about it.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0434(1988)003<0305%3ATGAOAE>2.0.CO%3B2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superjames1992 said:

At least you get nice summers.  Summer is a nightmare here.  Winter must be brutal there, though.  Cold and it gets dark so early in Northern Europe, yet no snow...

I need to make it to Amsterdam sometime.  I haven’t yet made it to any of the Benelux countries for some reason, though I’ve been in every adjacent country.

I know you’ve been there for awhile, but are you there permanently or will you be moving back at some point?

Dude of you come def let me know! You're welcome to stay with me and use it as a base. 

I really want to be in the Marijuana biz so I could see moving back for that but I am really happy here and I'm working on another project in the UK outside of my normal job. So for The next two years I feel like I'll be here and thinking about buying a place. Problem is no one knows what's going on with Brexit. 

You are right about the summers though. This Summer was too hot...it was nearly 90 most of the summer with a few days topping close to 100! Maybe it's because of the winter but when it's nice out everyone is out at the park or doing something outside! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superjames1992 said:

Dude of you come def let me know! You're welcome to stay with me and use it as a base. 

I really want to be in the Marijuana biz so I could see moving back for that but I am really happy here and I'm working on another project in the UK outside of my normal job. So for The next two years I feel like I'll be here and thinking about buying a place. Problem is no one knows what's going on with Brexit. 

You are right about the summers though. This Summer was too hot...it was nearly 90 most of the summer with a few days topping close to 100! Maybe it's because of the winter but when it's nice out everyone is out at the park or doing something outside! 

4 hours ago, Wow said:

What the heck are you doing over there?  Tracking snowstorms aren't the same knowing you're not in the game with us anymore.  At least you came back for the model pbp's.  BOOM!

I'm asking myself that John :lmao:. I have a company Christmas party tonight and other than that a long weekend. So might as well do something fun? Plus once I saw the models I got sucked in. Hard not be excited even over here! 

Hope all is well with you! Thanks for the kind words. That's how you know it's a great community here. Even the ones who leave keep coming back...or is that a cult?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, burgertime said:

I'm asking myself that John :lmao:. I have a company Christmas party tonight and other than that a long weekend. So might as well do something fun? Plus once I saw the models I got sucked in. Hard not be excited even over here! 

Hope all is well with you! Thanks for the kind words. That's how you know it's a great community here. Even the ones who leave keep coming back...or is that a cult?

You are such a good dude! Miss you over here brother! I am looking forward to the legalization of MJ here in the ole bible belt of NC. If I am not mistaken, Amsterdam has legalized MJ? LUCKY DAWG! 

Meh.  I’m a bitter party of one.  I love living in Raleigh and truly wouldn’t want to live anywhere else but I’m really tired of getting jack squat when it comes to snow.  Charlotte getting more than us Wake County residents is a real WTF.  I’m used to it for the Triad but Charlotte and upstate SC getting more?  I’m convinced that we are just cursed when it comes to snow.

4 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Meh.  I’m a bitter party of one.  I love living in Raleigh and truly wouldn’t want to live anywhere else but I’m really tired of getting jack squat when it comes to snow.  Charlotte getting more than us Wake County residents is a real WTF.  I’m used to it for the Triad but Charlotte and upstate SC getting more?  I’m convinced that we are just cursed when it comes to snow.

Upstate SC won't get more snow than Raleigh.

6 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

I live just south of charlotte. I cant remember the last time we got more snow than my parents who live in raleigh

• jburns unpinned this topic