Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

2 days ago: "Temps are unequivocally not going to be an issue". I knew better:

On 2/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, BullCityWx said:

As we've covered already today, the temps arent an issue where precip falls. The GFS doesnt have precip so evaporational cooling does not occur. This isnt a column where we're at 8c at the 925 level. 

Agreed if you're only talking about seeing snow fall. For accumulations, temps are always an issue. Take the 2.8 system for example. Many areas outside of North Georgia and Oconee and Pickens counties saw snow fall with no mixing, but very minimal accumulations. Mid and upper levels were excellent so it stayed snow but temps at the ground never fully cooled below the 32-34 range and really cut into accumulations. With a system like this where precip looks to be meager at best, wasting any precip waiting for temps to drop that extra degree will significantly cut into snow accumulations. I agree the atmosphere is not an issue but the fact is the baseline temps are going to rely on evaporative cooling and rates to reach a point where accumulations are possible. It's not going to start snowing at 32 degrees and temps fall from there. I'm not going to be the "ground temp" and "sun angle" guy, but those in the upstate and charlotte areas might have something to say about that from the last system as the only efficient accumulations occurred at night or early morning (I know that's also when precip peaked with that system, but it does matter). That being said, the focus continues to be on pushing more moisture further north and letting the temp battle play out from there. That has been the limiting factor with this setup and continues to be so. The trends have been positive today from that angle. I know the take the cold first then worry about moisture approach, but to the previous post's point, cold is not an issue for it to snow with this system. It only will become an issue if we get to the stage of talking accumulations. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

For the big snow in the mountains last winter, a couple drove up from Orlando, granted that was a monster storm, not a couple of inches lol

Yeah. I’ll chase 2/2.5 hours to the higher elevations in Avery county for a moderate event. If I’m chasing 800+ miles I’m flying to Breckinridge 

3 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

2 days ago: "Temps are unequivocally not going to be an issue". I knew better:

Agreed if you're only talking about seeing snow fall. For accumulations, temps are always an issue. Take the 2.8 system for example. Many areas outside of North Georgia and Oconee and Pickens counties saw snow fall with no mixing, but very minimal accumulations. Mid and upper levels were excellent so it stayed snow but temps at the ground never fully cooled below the 32-34 range and really cut into accumulations. With a system like this where precip looks to be meager at best, wasting any precip waiting for temps to drop that extra degree will significantly cut into snow accumulations. I agree the atmosphere is not an issue but the fact is the baseline temps are going to rely on evaporative cooling and rates to reach a point where accumulations are possible. It's not going to start snowing at 32 degrees and temps fall from there. I'm not going to be the "ground temp" and "sun angle" guy, but those in the upstate and charlotte areas might have something to say about that from the last system as the only efficient accumulations occurred at night or early morning (I know that's also when precip peaked with that system, but it does matter). That being said, the focus continues to be on pushing more moisture further north and letting the temp battle play out from there. That has been the limiting factor with this setup and continues to be so. The trends have been positive today from that angle. I know the take the cold first then worry about moisture approach, but to the previous post's point, cold is not an issue for it to snow with this system. It only will become an issue if we get to the stage of talking accumulations. 

It snowed heavily here for 6 hours start to finish and I wound up with a half inch on elevated surfaces that melted as soon as the precip moved out. You’re right, it matters.

• Sad 1

For the upstate peeps, this one just isn't for us. Typically we suffer the "cold chasing moisture" syndrome and this is going to be on full display tomorrow.  We may see a quick mix or full changeover at the end but it just is what is. Eastern upstate could well get in on a couple inches but the cold just isn't there for most. Going to be hard watching all of NC get a solid snow and eastern sections with the big dog, but c'est la vie for us.

16 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

For the upstate peeps, this one just isn't for us. Typically we suffer the "cold chasing moisture" syndrome and this is going to be on full display tomorrow.  We may see a quick mix or full changeover at the end but it just is what is. Eastern upstate could well get in on a couple inches but the cold just isn't there for most. Going to be hard watching all of NC get a solid snow and eastern sections with the big dog, but c'est la vie for us.

But we e got the SREF on our side!:guitar:

• Haha 1