Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

3 minutes ago, FLweather said:

When I was living in Roxboro. From 1999-2014.

I don't really recall any year where nothing fell. 

We had good years and bad years. But I don't recall any thing like this year. 

Yeah this is terrible. What gets me is the PNA, AO, and NAO have all been bad. AO might get to record positive readings for the winter.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

I guess we can be happy for the folks out west. Plenty of mountain snows to give them good runoff during the growing season. Cheap produce for us this summer... 

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

With the way this season is going, I'd take that event and cash out today. I do not think we will see measurable snow in Raleigh. Good find though as I've been here for the same timeframe, 30 years.

Yep, it will be interesting (in a bad way) to see if we get blanked. 

**only thing I keep thinking about is with a warm winter, do we flip to a cold spring. If so, we could score an overnight event in March that at least gives an accumulating event.   

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Yeah this is terrible. What gets me is the PNA, AO, and NAO have all been bad. AO might get to record positive readings for the winter.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

I guess we can be happy for the folks out west. Plenty of mountain snows to give them good runoff during the growing season. Cheap produce for us this summer... 

The +AO is the gift that keeps on giving, the whole winter through.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The Pacific is a plague that keeps on year after year.

If the Pacific would relax some probably allow a -nao to develop. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Yep, it will be interesting (in a bad way) to see if we get blanked. 

**only thing I keep thinking about is with a warm winter, do we flip to a cold spring. If so, we could score an overnight event in March that at least gives an accumulating event.   

At this point, I almost don't even want a March novelty, nighttime, precipitation rate-dependent, grass-only, isolated, gone in 4 hours event to ruin the streak and give some credence to there having actually been a winter this year. Go big or go home, we're going for a full-season blanking on measurable snow! Gotta set the bar at the bottom so we won't be surprised when it happens again....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

At this point, I almost don't even want a March novelty, nighttime, precipitation rate-dependent, grass-only, isolated, gone in 4 hours event to ruin the streak and give some credence to there having actually been a winter this year. Go big or go home, we're going for a full-season blanking on measurable snow! Gotta set the bar at the bottom so we won't be surprised when it happens again....

I hear you. Part of my criteria for a good winter storm is how it affects the roads (or power lines). Years back we had a <1" (mid-day) event that stuck right to the roads and caused havoc. I consider that a great event. Other times we received >3" but it never stuck to the roads (forgettable).  

12 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I hear you. Part of my criteria for a good winter storm is how it affects the roads (or power lines). Years back we had a <1" (mid-day) event that stuck right to the roads and caused havoc. I consider that a great event. Other times we received >3" but it never stuck to the roads (forgettable).  

Oh I remember. The unexpected clipper where it was in the 20's, snow stuck instantly to everything, all schools and businesses let out, and the city was gridlocked. That was a major storm, regardless of accumulation. It was crazy to see Greg Fischel on air as it became apparent the band of snow was holding together and going to cause issues as it moved in, after advertising nothing but a chance of a flurry that morning!

• Like 1

I’m really not too eager to see 3 to 5 inches of rain on top of already soggy soil.  Around our back patio, we have four downspouts that have outlets running under the landscaping.  I spent yesterday cleaning out three of them in preparation for this week’s Noahic event, but I’ll be darned if I can’t find the fourth one.  It’s covered under mulch and soil and I’ve poked a prodded everywhere with no luck.

2 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Consider yourself lucky Mack. Tornadoes are just nasty, and 3 inches of rain is plenty. I came just an eyelash of getting a flooded finished basement,  way too close for comfort. 

Our neighborhood is on the reedy, wife said it was 6-7’ from the road @ W Georgia rd. Said they were watching and a couch came floating by!