Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

27 minutes ago, jjwxman said:

Ha, the Euro now has temps in the mid 60's over central NC with thunderstorms Sunday evening/night.  Ugh..............

You mean we are not going to get 2 blizzards next week? When did this happen? Last I heard , the Euro, GFS, and GFSv3 all had snow! Don’t tell me they were wrong???? Just like the whole winter! 

22 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

You mean we are not going to get 2 blizzards next week? When did this happen? Last I heard , the Euro, GFS, and GFSv3 all had snow! Don’t tell me they were wrong???? Just like the whole winter! 

Shocking isn't! Glad I held on to my big grain of salt! Ha!

1 hour ago, hickory said:

Time to drain the fuel and clean the carburetor on the generator. Stick a fork in it folks this winter is over. C ya winter 2019-2020.

Yeah my forecast for 19-20 is above average temps and below average snow. Just forecast that and you're right 90% of the time. This is the easiest part of the country to forecast winter. 

• Like 1

Everything plantwise ask flower wise are leafing out and flowering, due to this sorry, snowless, warm winter! How many winters can we have in a row where 2/3 or 3/3 months are above normal?? Anywho, the low 20s will probably verify Tuesday night, just to kill all the emerging vegetation, flowers, and decimate the peach crop! Best.Winter.Ever! 

47 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Everything plantwise ask flower wise are leafing out and flowering, due to this sorry, snowless, warm winter! How many winters can we have in a row where 2/3 or 3/3 months are above normal?? Anywho, the low 20s will probably verify Tuesday night, just to kill all the emerging vegetation, flowers, and decimate the peach crop! Best.Winter.Ever! 

Good riddance to this shit box winter.  Tired of seeing the Mid Atlantic weenies cry all winter how bad their winters are. They always get snow its just a matter of time. They keep getting storm after storm now while we fail miserably. Beyond done with it

18 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Good riddance to this shit box winter.  Tired of seeing the Mid Atlantic weenies cry all winter how bad their winters are. They always get snow its just a matter of time. They keep getting storm after storm now while we fail miserably. Beyond done with it

You live in NW SC, man.  Here are the annual (and monthly -- October to May) snowfall totals for the past 15 years or so at GSP:

ZgIlOXo.png

Your 4.3-inch season total this year is only 0.4 inches less than normal.  It's also more than 16 of the years listed here.  I think it's been a pretty normal year for you as far as totals go.  (I also figure you don't actually live at the airport -- Boiling Springs is more north and east of there -- so your totals will vary a bit, but this is the best I can do.)

We all want more snow, myself included.  (Spring, stay away!)  I think the extra bitterness and despair right now is due to the big storm that was had in December.  Everyone believed that we were setting up for an epic winter with that early storm.  It just hasn't materialized that way, though.

4 hours ago, calculus1 said:

You live in NW SC, man.  Here are the annual (and monthly -- October to May) snowfall totals for the past 15 years or so at GSP:

ZgIlOXo.png

Your 4.3-inch season total this year is only 0.4 inches less than normal.  It's also more than 16 of the years listed here.  I think it's been a pretty normal year for you as far as totals go.  (I also figure you don't actually live at the airport -- Boiling Springs is more north and east of there -- so your totals will vary a bit, but this is the best I can do.)

We all want more snow, myself included.  (Spring, stay away!)  I think the extra bitterness and despair right now is due to the big storm that was had in December.  Everyone believed that we were setting up for an epic winter with that early storm.  It just hasn't materialized that way, though.

The airport is N of 85! I have only received 1” of sleet! So those numbers are skewed

4 hours ago, calculus1 said:

ZgIlOXo.png

I know! I give the winter a C-. My rant was focused mostly on the people who complain about not getting snow but average 20 inches per year! They don't know how good they have it!

And yes the hype this winter had expectations high. I was hoping for a double digit year. Would be the 1st since 93. And double digit years used to occur every three years or so up until then. That was the good ole days!

52 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The airport is N of 85! I have only received 1” of sleet! So those numbers are skewed

If you are south of I-85, then you should expect even less snow than what has been reported at GSP.  So, again, this year isn't too different from normal.  Still disappointing, but not completely aberrant.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the cold has been centered too far West all season. The Midwest to West coast has had an awesome winter, but the cold has not made it East of the Great Lakes and south of the Mason Dixon. Our little SE corner was completely left out of the cold and fun this year and I am hating it!. The potential was there and the cold has been there, but we could never get the jet stream to push farther East and the same areas have gotten the fun over and over, with more to come next week. Just saw that LA failed to reach 70 in Feb for the first time in 132 years! It is becoming more and more clear that if those of us outside the mountains and south of I-40 want to experience any more than a random inch or two of slush we'll have to move. The 60s, 70s, and 80s winters, like the ones that brought GSP double digit totals 11 out of 24 years from 59/60 to 82/83, then two more in 86/87 and 87/88, and even the March 93 and 95/96 winters are long, long gone; and I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like those again. :(

CAE doesn't have a monthly snowfall totals chart on their site like GSP does but by next winter their measurable snow drought will be nearly 6 years. I know CAE has never been a ski area but six years without measurable snowfall has to be a record there I would think. 

The one good thing about the predominant trough in the west, is the fact that they're getting lots of snow across most of the western states mountain ranges (^^as you guys are stating). This is where the western folks get most of their yearly water supply. So in short, look for good deals this upcoming year on vegetables, fruits, and nuts. **bad side is there could be a larger burn season coming up this fall with all the spring growth.   

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Everybody rooting for the NW trend  next week, until it rains!

What we needed was for the Sun night/Mon system low to track further South; that is the storm with the moisture. But the snow is in Kentucky and the Virginias, with the low track through SC. Needed it 300 miles further south, but that's been the story ALL winter. The Tues system isn't even close and has no moisture with it. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yeah the cold has been centered too far West all season. The Midwest to West coast has had an awesome winter, but the cold has not made it East of the Great Lakes and south of the Mason Dixon. Our little SE corner was completely left out of the cold and fun this year and I am hating it!. The potential was there and the cold has been there, but we could never get the jet stream to push farther East and the same areas have gotten the fun over and over, with more to come next week. Just saw that LA failed to reach 70 in Feb for the first time in 132 years! It is becoming more and more clear that if those of us outside the mountains and south of I-40 want to experience any more than a random inch or two of slush we'll have to move. The 60s, 70s, and 80s winters, like the ones that brought GSP double digit totals 11 out of 24 years from 59/60 to 82/83, then two more in 86/87 and 87/88, and even the March 93 and 95/96 winters are long, long gone; and I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like those again. :(

CAE doesn't have a monthly snowfall totals chart on their site like GSP does but by next winter their measurable snow drought will be nearly 6 years. I know CAE has never been a ski area but six years without measurable snowfall has to be a record there I would think. 

I would have though the same about CAE. Not the case though. After they received 16 inches in Feb 73 they didn't get anymore until they received 5.5 inches 6 years later in Feb 79. Then they got 3.5 Jan 2003 and didn't get anymore until 8.9 in Feb 2010. 7 years later!!! And there are multiple 4 and 5 year streaks back to 1960. Their snowfall pattern is roughly the same. Nobody can argue that the upstate has really fallen off since 93 or so though!

37 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

I would have though the same about CAE. Not the case though. After they received 16 inches in Feb 73 they didn't get anymore until they received 5.5 inches 6 years later in Feb 79. Then they got 3.5 Jan 2003 and didn't get anymore until 8.9 in Feb 2010. 7 years later!!! And there are multiple 4 and 5 year streaks back to 1960. Their snowfall pattern is roughly the same. Nobody can argue that the upstate has really fallen off since 93 or so though!

Wow, didn't realize they had that many big gaps; so for the most part their average really is just one system every few years.  

Yeah for the upstate it's getting harder and harder and warmer and warmer. Who knows, we may be headed for CAE winters pretty soon. :weep:

On 3/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Iceagewhereartthou said:

They are saying the same thing in central/south Europe. 

Yep it is time to fold up the tent and go through the long wait to next winter. In the meantime it is time to turn toward severe season and see how that pans out. It isn't surprising to me that the December event was on the only one. In NC outside the mountains it is very difficult to get more than 1 solid storm a season, and even that is never guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...