• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

I just don’t get it!  Is snow a possibility here, yes!  Is snow a probability here, No!  To all those complaining about the lack of it move to an area where you would get sick of it or stop complaining.  On average we have a better chance annually of a Hurricane than a decent snow. If you live in Southern NC you should know better.  SC you are just in denial or plain crazy!

5 hours ago, RT1980 said:

I just don’t get it!  Is snow a possibility here, yes!  Is snow a probability here, No!  To all those complaining about the lack of it move to an area where you would get sick of it or stop complaining.  On average we have a better chance annually of a Hurricane than a decent snow. If you live in Southern NC you should know better.  SC you are just in denial or plain crazy!

I understand where most on here are coming from in regards to wanting to see snow. Granted we are in the south but, snow can still happen in many areas and it used to happen with more frequency then it does now. This is I am sure is where most of the frustration (cliff divers...LOL..) comes from on the board... I am a native new yorker that moved to SC in 1977 when I was real young, mom and dad wanted to get away from the snow and cold. Well our first winter here in Upstate SC we had several decent snows and mom and dad where like geez.... we came here to get away from this... And every year for about 20 or so years you could pretty much count on several snows in this area of the foothills (North of I-85) up until the mid and late 90"s that is when things started changing.  

Now granted during this time frame there was a year or two we had less but, for the most part we had several events each year. Most were small snow events but, there were several times back then we got 6+ inch storms. Many on here I am sure remember 1988 we had 16 inches of snow with over 3.5 foot snow drifts with temps in the low to mid teens while snowing...snow stayed on the ground for 30 days that entire month of January until the first week of February... And, who can forget the blizzard of 93 and, there have been others.... We used to have low pressure systems come out of the gulf of mexico on a fairly regular basis back then and many on here have said the same thing. True Miller A systems are happening with much less frequency now and like many have said it is like trying to find and catch a unicorn with one of these rare storms. It was much colder back then as well as it hit -5 here in both 1983 & 1985.

Also, within the last 20 years the average high in January for this area has went from 49 degrees to now which is 52 degrees during the coldest part of the winter. This is a 3 degree difference in not a very long period of time which is a pretty large jump so, something is happening. Not sure what but, something has changed....I have heard many in the media saying it's global warming and then I hear others saying no such thing as global warming it is just a weather cycle which is a period of 20 or 30 years we are going through. Either way I think many on the board remember these times from 20-30 years ago and wish things were like that again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

I understand where most on here are coming from in regards to wanting to see snow. Granted we are in the south but, snow can still happen in many areas and it used to happen with more frequency then it does now. This is I am sure is where most of the frustration (cliff divers...LOL..) comes from on the board... I am a native new yorker that moved to SC in 1977 when I was real young, mom and dad wanted to get away from the snow and cold. Well our first winter here in Upstate SC we had several decent snows and mom and dad where like geez.... we came here to get away from this... And every year for about 20 or so years you could pretty much count on several snows in this area of the foothills (North of I-85) up until the mid and late 90"s that is when things started changing.  

Now granted during this time frame there was a year or two we had less but, for the most part we had several events each year. Most were small snow events but, there were several times back then we got 6+ inch storms. Many on here I am sure remember 1988 we had 16 inches of snow with over 3.5 foot snow drifts with temps in the low to mid teens while snowing...snow stayed on the ground for 30 days that entire month of January until the first week of February... And, who can forget the blizzard of 93 and, there have been others.... We used to have low pressure systems come out of the gulf of mexico on a fairly regular basis back then and many on here have said the same thing. True Miller A systems are happening with much less frequency now and like many have said it is like trying to find and catch a unicorn with one of these rare storms. It was much colder back then as well as it hit -5 here in both 1983 & 1985.

Also, within the last 20 years the average high in January for this area has went from 49 degrees to now which is 52 degrees during the coldest part of the winter. This is a 3 degree difference in not a very long period of time which is a pretty large jump so, something is happening. Not sure what but, something has changed....I have heard many in the media saying it's global warming and then I hear others saying no such thing as global warming it is just a weather cycle which is a period of 20 or 30 years we are going through. Either way I think many on the board remember these times from 20-30 years ago and wish things were like that again.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most know this isn't a snowy place. But its not too much to ask to be above normal on snowfall for once. Instead of endless above normal temps and half of an already minuscule snowfall mean.

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 58. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 37. Light and variable wind.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 60.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Monday
Partly sunny, with a high near 62.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 67.
Tuesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
DAMN EQUATORIAL VORTEX!!
  • Haha 1

I’m not going to lie.  I am really bitter about the snow the MA forum is getting now. They have complained all winter but yet today is the second overperformer they have had this week.  If I hear one more poster in that forum complain about having a crappy winter I’m going to lose my mind.  We never have overperformers here.

• Like 1

What a dead ass place in here. Sad for the heart of winter. Yes I know we had the December snow and it hasn't been a torch really. But man if this winter isn't a dud for storms. Absolutely sad that outside of Decemeber we've had no threats. Some of the warmest driest winters are more entertaining than this crap fest.

• Like 1

Just now, RT1980 said:

So you’re saying that living in the SE sucks as far as snow/winter weather goes?  I would have never guessed!

So what are you saying? We shouldn't want to have 2 to 3 legitimate threats to track? Even in the SE that isn't a lot to ask. I'm amazed how active the STJ has been and how we really haven't torched but outside of 1 storm absolutely nothing. No, that's not normal even for the SE.

• Like 1

Is 6" of snow every third Thursday too much to ask for in a winter?  :snowing:  But this is a bit ridiculous.  I'm not a fan of endless nuisance events or multiple big dogs because it just gets old.  If I wanted that much snow I would move north.  So yes, I love my 50's and 60's this next week and I'll get a ton done in the yard this weekend.  But the fact that we are going 10 hours at a time between posts in here is just nuts.  I honestly can't remember a winter this empty on the models, and certainly such a contrast to the wet year we just had.  

That rubber band that JB always talks about is getting really wound up.........

1 hour ago, SN_Lover said:

The GFS was not good in any way. Stratosphere cooling and the polar vortex retreating to the poles. The SE ridge giving us winter lovers the middle finder and a stout - PNA trough. And what's a -NAO look like because those are more rare than unicorns. 

If it's right spring is here. Doesn't get bellow freezing in the SE through mid month, and it wouldn't look good afterwards.

FV3 is better. It still has the day 8/9 storm. Lets hope it is right. 

On 1/31/2019 at 8:52 PM, Waiting on snow said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most know this isn't a snowy place. But its not too much to ask to be above normal on snowfall for once. Instead of endless above normal temps and half of an already minuscule snowfall mean.

If not for the early dec system and accompanied cold, this winter would be a definite "F" thus far, and I'm not talking in comparison to what we were hoping for based on projections. That's the only frozen event, in my backyard, and haven't seen anything else even minor. And while we haven't seen a ton of 70s or anything like that, it's been very mild for the most part. I think my low is 18, and only been below 20 3-4 nights. I usually have at least one morning below 10 but nothing close. Were halfway b/w Chicago and Miami. One might think that if Chicago can get to -30, we might at least see single digits, but nope. Terrible winter so far, with a very warm outlook coming. Hoping for something after V-day is likely going to be fruitless. There was another winter a few years ago where most thought the indeces were all aligned and it was a big bust, but so far this one is worse. Oh well, maybe we'll have another chance or two after V-day.

Rant begin:

Right now is supposed to be the middle of winter which means in theory the coldest of the cold should be happening right now and I know we just had the polar vortex in the Midwest but it didn't really get down here and my NWS forecast shows 60's for highs for the next 7 days and I'm so depressed and when that happens I start not caring about run-on sentences and punctuation and how about I just turn off my heat for a week so I don't have a high power bill because we might as well have some damn benefit to this torch pattern and how about I start looking for job openings in FL if I wanted 60 F&%'in degrees in winter for a whole week.

Rant ended (thank you for your time).

It's time to face it. It's just not our year. Not that many are, but this one is exceptionally bad. Some years refuse to produce in certain areas regardless of how good thing initially look. I'm still in awe of how this turned out after an early start and so much promise. Sooner or later you'd think the se would have good winter again one day, but sometimes I wonder.

I'd give this winter a C- so far if it ends like this and not another flake falls. Not making light of how awful this year has been. It's just hard to give any lower than a C when you actually reached average snowfall. But jeez has this winter sucked for threats. No tracking at all outside December and no real cold air. I haven't been below 21 the whole winter imby. Not sure about the airports at GSP and CLT but that never happened even when I lived in CAE for 5 years. To call this winter a suck fest is being generous.

16 hours ago, Waiting on snow said:

I'd give this winter a C- so far if it ends like this and not another flake falls. Not making light of how awful this year has been. It's just hard to give any lower than a C when you actually reached average snowfall. But jeez has this winter sucked for threats. No tracking at all outside December and no real cold air. I haven't been below 21 the whole winter imby. Not sure about the airports at GSP and CLT but that never happened even when I lived in CAE for 5 years. To call this winter a suck fest is being generous.

If I get 8 weeks of sunny and 50s/60s here in the Triad on top of my 14" of snow in Dec, I would give this winter and A++!  I was so incredibly annoyed that we lost our fall weather.  So to have a shot at redemption here is A OK with me!