• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

Man this winter rocks! You can’t even question the Madokie Niño in the main thread without someone getting bent out of shape! There’s so much to track it’s insane. Literally haven’t slept in weeks. You can tilt your head sideways and look at 500mb maps all you want but it won’t change the fact that this winter IS and CONTINUES TO BE an epic bust. Congratulations everyone. Well done 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Man this winter rocks! You can’t even question the Madokie Niño in the main thread without someone getting bent out of shape! There’s so much to track it’s insane. Literally haven’t slept in weeks. You can tilt your head sideways and look at 500mb maps all you want but it won’t change the fact that this winter IS and CONTINUES TO BE an epic bust. Congratulations everyone. Well done 

Yea buddy dont clutter up the long term thread when were in frontal passage storm mode...smdh

I'm with ya on the sudoku nino or whatever it is...supposed to be great and heading to some awesome phase...ain't happening. Were about to go zonal in freaking February and the epic cold ain't even making it down here now. I'm not forecast to go below 20 now. Big frigging deal

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yea buddy dont clutter up the long term thread when were in frontal passage storm mode...smdh
I'm with ya on the sudoku nino or whatever it is...supposed to be great and heading to some awesome phase...ain't happening. Were about to go zonal in freaking February and the epic cold ain't even making it down here now. I'm not forecast to go below 20 now. Big frigging deal

I learned back in the early 00’s to never trust long term thoughts. Not that it never works out, but no reason to get any hopes up round here till the storm is over and you can measure it .

3 hours ago, Waiting on snow said:

It's been a very rough stretch from Atlanta up to Charlotte. And even worse for Athens to Columbia. Hell this whole decade has been shit for the most part except for 10-11 and 13-14 for those areas. I've come to expect it in this day and age. Sad times for snow lovers.

Yup... Basically. I mean Atlanta did have that big snow 2 Decembers ago, but that was technically NW of the city. I know my home town of Woodstock got clobbered. Normally Athens scores better than Columbia. I feel for you guys down there. I loved the winters of 2010-2011 and 2013-2014. Those were great winters for many of us. Too bad winters like that are merely becoming pipe dreams now. 

The NAO is the cause for epic shit patterns lately. Sure it can snow without it. Hell it's had to for a decade now. 09-10 and the front half of 10-11 had great blocking. Looking back it's obvious you need the NAO to score big snow and sustained cold here. The late 70s is another example. Sure a NAO can cause a storm to amplify and pull north. 09-10 had many near misses to the north. A good Pac is more important to get the cold yes, but the NAO is cherry on top and helps it not be such a thread the needle event. I find it hard to believe Greenland is melting when theres always a massive ****ing blue ball of low heights parked over it all damn winter every year!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Well here's two more: Mondays system we get nothing due to drying from downsloping winds. Wednesday we'll see a couple tenths of QPF but the mountains will delay the cold so it will be all rain. :facepalm: I'm sure the final shot, next Fri/Sat we'll be too far north, or we'll get the perfect track with no cold or...

I've given up on next weekend at this point. It's still a threat I guess but I'm tired of wasting energy to end up failing. The cold air looks to be on afterburners out of here next weekend so the threat has decreased significantly imo. I'm ready for spring now. I'm very disappointed in this winter, but hell that's normal 9 of 10 winters anyway.

11 hours ago, RT1980 said:

Learned a lot here this past few weeks and I appreciate it!   90% are weenies, 2% are in the know, 6% have no clue and just mirror others post, the last 2% just have common sense!

A lot of the big mets were betting on a big pattern change too. It's not just the weenies. The MJO collapsed along with El Nino and the SSW failed to propagate downward much. A bunch of maybes turned into nos.

• Like 1

If you are a weather forecaster in the se and want to be accurate, all you have to do is forecast above average temps and below average snow and you'll be right 9 out of 10 years. And you'd look like a genius without ever even doing any research at all because no matter how much appears to be in our favor the se will always find a way to be warm these days.

It is this day and age. Always happens every year now. This is the hardest place in the se to snow.

I mean technically we should be receiving double if not, triple of what Atlanta sees. So it’s odd. But I can’t argue with you, because I’m beginning to think you’re right. A lot of you got a good snow in December. I got maybe a dusting and a little bit of ice.

57 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

I’m surprised there aren’t more Carolina peeps on this page. It’s not that often that it snows that far south in Mississippi, only to leave us high and dry.

Honestly, with the semi-permenant southeast ridge and  totally absent wintertime -NAO over the past decade, it seems to be becoming the norm. Frustrating as heck, but unless and we can get some larger patterns to realign in our favor this will continue. I'm afraid this is the new normal. With the mountains already making it difficult, much of SC may see less snow than Mobile and FL panhandle going forward. If CAE can't sneak something out in Feb, they'll be looking at a six year drought by the time next winter rolls around. Even GSP has seen only two accumulating snows in Feb and March COMBINED since 2015, and they were .4 and .5 inches.

Snow in SC is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

43 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

I mean technically we should be receiving double if not, triple of what Atlanta sees. So it’s odd. But I can’t argue with you, because I’m beginning to think you’re right. A lot of you got a good snow in December. I got maybe a dusting and a little bit of ice.

The failure of the Nino to develop and the tropical forcing (MJO) mostly focused in the warm phases doomed the forecasts. 

Had that not been the case would it have been different? Maybe, maybe not. I'm convinced the NAO is the problem here and I'll argue anyone who wants to argue that. And I'm not sure if the Nino and MJO had cooperated that it would have made a difference.

History doesn't lie. Late 70's, 95-96, 02-03, 09-10 all big blocking winters and all colder and snowier than average. Sure, it snows without it, and can snow big. It may not cause bigger storms necessarily but it keeps cold highs in place, slows storm track and keeps storms south somewhat. Give me that anyday and I'd roll the dice over this fast, progressive, timing systems up with the high pressure over the ne rocketing out to sea pattern of late. 

1 minute ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I really like Chris Justus, but his facebook says "coldest air in several years" coming after the front, then the wyff outlook shows highs in mid 40s, lows in 20s. Not only did he forget about last Jan, but that's not even the coldest of this wimpy winter.:wacko2:

It is funny, though, how a massive outbreak has now turned into basically a day of seasonably cold weather.

last week the models were showing highs in the teens and lows of 0 for piedmont areas. This winter stinks. When the mojo started back in the bad phases and the -nao vanished as always, the whole outlook has been ruined to atleast Feb 15th and then we have lousy sun angle problems. I hate march snow and hot pavement. It all liquifies fast.