• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

My winter checklist is a single flake of snow falling from the sky.  I don't think that's going to happen, though.  At least I saw snow on the ground when I went skiing, I guess?

I actually got to see it snow twice last year (here in Tallahassee with our "historic" dusting in early January and about 1" in Greensboro while visiting in late March).  I also saw it snow while I was on a vacation in Scandanavia in May 2017.  But this winter I might get shut out. :(

34 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Not to downplay any concerns of an empty-handed pattern change, but it's only fair to point out many locales in middle TN/other SE forum areas at/under 35°N haven't seen a flake of snow this winter. Not only have most of you had a grade A winter already...but you've had solid storms the past three winters. With much of this forum locked in an entertaining/memorable weather zone in recent years, count your blessings. You've been on the feast side way more often than the famine side. 

In agreement there. 

2 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

My winter checklist is a single flake of snow falling from the sky.  I don't think that's going to happen, though.  At least I saw snow on the ground when I went skiing, I guess?

I actually got to see it snow twice last year (here in Tallahassee with our "historic" dusting in early January and about 1" in Greensboro while visiting in late March).  I also saw it snow while I was on a vacation in Scandanavia in May 2017.  But this winter I might get shut out. :(

Take a look at the latest FV3. But you might be a little too far north...:P

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Not to downplay any concerns of an empty-handed pattern change, but it's only fair to point out many locales in middle TN/other SE forum areas at/under 35°N haven't seen a flake of snow this winter. Not only have most of you had a grade A winter already...but you've had solid storms the past three winters. With much of this forum locked in an entertaining/memorable weather zone in recent years, count your blessings. You've been on the feast side way more often than the famine side. 

I have no complaints, but there are folks in SE NC, SC ,and Ga that are in a long snow drought (maybe half the board??). I would love to see at least one deep south and coastal snow storm; even if I got shutout. It seems like its been ages since the last one.  

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I have no complaints, but there are folks in SE NC, SC ,and Ga that are in a long snow drought (maybe half the board??). I would love to see at least one deep south and coastal snow storm; even if I got shutout. It seems like its been ages since the last one.  

This is my second winter in Matthews, NC. I have yet to see more than a half inch of accumulation. A lot of us south of 85 are due for a monster 

1 minute ago, southernskimmer said:

This is my second winter in Matthews, NC. I have yet to see more than a half inch of accumulation. A lot of us south of 85 are due for a monster 

Yeah, the upstate of SC up to your location have had bad luck the last couple of years. There's been numerous storms where you're suppose to get a big storm and it doesn't pan out. That's probably worse then the folks farther east that were never in the game to get anything. 

Just now, FallsLake said:

Yeah, the upstate of SC up to your location have had bad luck the last couple of years. There's been numerous storms where you're suppose to get a big storm and it doesn't pan out. That's probably worse then the folks farther east that were never in the game to get anything. 

Yeah. When I moved here from Greensboro I didn't really understand the magnitude of I-85 climo because it never affected me. It's painful as hell

28 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

Yeah. When I moved here from Greensboro I didn't really understand the magnitude of I-85 climo because it never affected me. It's painful as hell

I can probably count on one hand the times Matthews did better than where I'm from in Gaston County in major events. 1/25/2000 comes to mind but then? eh.

41 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

Used to live in Indian Trail before moving to the mountains, the number of times I watched it rain while charlotte and NW got sleet or snow was agonizing.

10 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, only 384 hours from glory! :(

I lucked out for the Dec storm 3 miles n of 85. But couldn't really enjoy the lead up because being on the edge you just knew you were getting screwed. And 20 miles south of me did. Feel bad for Simpsonville, Anderson and especially the ATL to CAE corridor. Sometimes I wonder if it'll ever snow down there again. Can't wait for the storm where the snow line is past CAE and all we have to figure out is how much we'll get. If that storm ever comes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

I can probably count on one hand the times Matthews did better than where I'm from in Gaston County in major events. 1/25/2000 comes to mind but then? eh.

The ridiculously obvious rule of thumb in NC is those north and/or west of a given location will usually receive more winter accumulation during any given season.  Even within a single county.  Individual storms might pan out differently, but this rule seems to hold true over an entire winter.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, FallsLake said:

With the pattern change and with so much cold air moving into the US, I think we can only use the models out to about day 9. We're seeing big swings in the later days with each model run. The one big constant is the availability of cold air. It still may be early February until something pops, especially if we get unlucky with the day 10-16 period. But the euro weeklies and many mets think the rest of winter is going to be on the cold side. I think we're looking good.  

On a side note; many have posted what they would consider a good (A score) winter. I have four things:

1) Significant snow event (Check----already had the 12" in December)

2) Significant arctic outbreak, with at least a couple of sunny days with highs below freezing (looks like that is coming)

3) Significant winter event, which can be a mixed bad but has to limit driving, etc. (waiting)

4) Small winter event, which can be mixed bag but is picture worthy (waiting) 

So far for me:

1. Nope

2. Nope - short one coming - 1 day and 2 nights

3. Nope

4. Nope

Other than a chance of flurries early Monday morning, I don't see any real chances of snow, sleet, or freezing rain this month. Hope I am wrong but I don't think so.

11 hours ago, yotaman said:

So far for me:

1. Nope

3. Nope

4. Nope

Other than a chance of flurries early Monday morning, I don't see any real chances of snow, sleet, or freezing rain this month. Hope I am wrong but I don't think so.

I keep saying this, but you guys are due. I actually think this is the perfect "forecasted" pattern to give coastal areas snow. Strong blocking with strong highs that can suppress the storm track way south. Then when something does pop, you guys snow. **also if it gets cold enough, it would be cool to see bay effect snow again. 

11 hours ago, yotaman said:

So far for me:

1. Nope

3. Nope

4. Nope

Keep the faith man, there is some cold air incoming. I think before winter 2019 is over we get a suppressed coastal. Told my wife Monday that we would be snow chasing to the beach house in EI before it was al over.

• Like 1

I've more or less given up on a wintry pattern for this area. I mean, that doesn't mean we can't squeak out a storm in one of these cold shots, but the SSW/PV split, -AO, MJO, etc. are all failing to materialize and the models are backing off a true wintry pattern. At least it's not two weeks of a heat ridge, so I'll take that.

13 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

I've more or less given up on a wintry pattern for this area. I mean, that doesn't mean we can't squeak out a storm in one of these cold shots, but the SSW/PV split, -AO, MJO, etc. are all failing to materialize and the models are backing off a true wintry pattern. At least it's not two weeks of a heat ridge, so I'll take that.

I'll take the heat ridge over rainstorms between Arctic fronts anyday.