Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

17 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I want everyone here to get their snow so dont take this the wrong way, but I never want to see over a foot of snow again.  I think 4" is about right.  Coat everything, cover the grass, you can walk in it, drive in it, shovel it fairly easily, businesses stay open and it melts quick.  The order of magnitude increase in complexity of everything with the limited snow removal resources here in the south is unreal.  

The ideal winter for me going forward is 3-4 4" inch events with one of them being Christmas morning.  A foot is cool if you dont actually have to function for 3-4 days.  

Don't want a foot of snow?  Are you feeling well?  j/k

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

Don't want a foot of snow?  Are you feeling well?  j/k

I get it.  And I had my day when I wanted it.  But when I had to plow up 4' high walls of it 100 yards long yesterday it quickly becomes more trouble than its worth.  I LOVE snow.  But I think 4" events cover everything from a sledder to the enthusiasts. 

Still very light snow at my location. This should be it. Now the question is how much melting this afternoon. Then how bad will the roads get tonight with the refreeze. I think tomorrow morning may be the worse driving conditions of the event. Folks will see what looks like clear pavement but actually slide on ice. Get ready for lots of reports of wreaks. 

Edit: sorry I thought I was in the observation thread.

1 hour ago, snowinnc said:

Move RDU for many reasons but snow should definitely not be one of them.  Chapel Hill and Durham typically do well but stay away from Wake County.  We have been blanked a lot the past few years when everyone around us got a ton. There is a legit Wake County snow hole.  This is the most snow I’ve gotten in NW Wake County since 2010.  If you live in South Wake it’s even worse.  Great place to live overall but for snow lovers it isn’t.  I would totally share my snow with S Wake residents if I could!

It is amazing how that line sets up. I've been really lucky the last few years where I've been just north and west enough to get in on the good snow totals. In past years I've noticed that things even out somewhat with those "eastern storms" -- Fayetteville NE to Rock Mount. With those storms eastern parts of the Triangle do very well. I've seen it snowing hard just east of Wake Forest but nothing at my house. I think we're due for another one of those storms. And as other have said, I would gladly give up snow to see you guys score.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

I want everyone here to get their snow so dont take this the wrong way, but I never want to see over a foot of snow again.  I think 4" is about right.  Coat everything, cover the grass, you can walk in it, drive in it, shovel it fairly easily, businesses stay open and it melts quick.  The order of magnitude increase in complexity of everything with the limited snow removal resources here in the south is unreal.  

The ideal winter for me going forward is 3-4 4" inch events with one of them being Christmas morning.  A foot is cool if you dont actually have to function for 3-4 days.  

I'd love to have to find that out for myself. The biggest snow I've had IMBY since Storm of the Century in 93 was 8 inches from 1/2011, and that was awesome. 

I think this winter will go much like 09/10 and its going to be a blockbuster for NC, heck, it already has been. I wouldn't be surprised if many NC locations set seasonal records this year and it already has a great start. I think for the rest of us this storm epitomized how it will be. Upstate and NEGA will get some sloppy seconds, but will never get to dine at the big table. I'm sure there will be some cutters that will be good for the TN/ MS/AL crew, and there may be another coastal like last year, but it doesn't seem there is any setup that can deliver big for the ATL - GSP -CAE crowd; or if there are they belong to yesteryear.

6 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, though...but I'll still take the big snows and all the encompassing hell that goes along to it.  Still waiting for my first foot of snow since January 2000.  I need to move.  Maybe if I move to Charlotte the city will start seeing snow again?

2 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

If the FV3 can nail two storms, one from 10 days out and the other from 15 days out, then scrap the rest of the models.  We have the one we need for winter forecasts.

Slightly off topic, how did the FV3 do earlier this year with severe storm setups, hurricanes, etc?

FV3 did very well with Florence at long range from my understanding 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnowDeac said:

Yeah, the Raleigh metro has a bit more a variance based on storm track, particularly on the coastal lows. In Charlotte, I don't believe I've seen a single storm since I've been here (2010) where the southern (and possibly eastern) metro area exceeds the northern and western.

First event of the 2013-2014 season.

A lot of whining for an event in early friggin December.

Fuquay is always jealous of Raleigh. Which is envious of Durham ( in regards to snow—not anything else) which is jealous of Hillsborough and Roxboro, and Burlington,which in turn—is envious of GSO. Of which, the gate city is envious of WS, which is usually jealous of Wilkesboro, of whom typically looks to Boone and wishes their snow totals were more like theirs:

This applies to locales in SC as well—along with pretty much anything related to weather, and a lot of things that aren’t. 

TL;Dr, if your mad, reset your expectations, and realize that chances are—someone is going to have more snow than you most of the time. 

Also, I respect kvegas for speaking his mind about not wanting a foot of snow and in the future. Even though I completely disagree with the entire point he was trying to make. The fact that someone in the SE may actually be pulling AGAINst getting a foot of snow makes me reconsider the entire fabric of what makes our universi functional.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Fuquay is always jealous of Raleigh. Which is envious of Durham ( in regards to snow—not anything else) which is jealous of Hillsborough and Roxboro, and Burlington,which in turn—is envious of GSO. Of which, the gate city is envious of WS, which is usually jealous of Wilkesboro, of whom typically looks to Boone and wishes their snow totals were more like theirs:

This applies to locales in SC as well—along with pretty much anything related to weather, and a lot of things that aren’t. 

TL;Dr, if your mad, reset your expectations, and realize that chances are—someone is going to have more snow than you most of the time. 

Also, I respect kvegas for speaking his mind about not wanting a foot of snow and in the future. Even though I completely disagree with the entire point he was trying to make. The fact that someone in the SE may actually be pulling AGAINst getting a foot of snow makes me reconsider the entire fabric of what makes our universi functional.

You do realize that in this region getting more than a single event a season is pretty rare right? At least an event that is worthwhile anyway.

10 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

For the first time in a long time, I got to watch mostly rain while my friends to the north got mostly snow. It's just climo. When we are short on precip and we have the cold it almost always works better for my area. My point here is the same as when someone is chastised for Hurricane/Tornado excitement, 0,Zilch nada NO amount of wishing changes the weather. Ya get what ya get. If you don't like it move. I looked hard in Roxboro before deciding on our place in Moncure. Climo was no small consideration. At the end of the day the better property won out. I'll take my 3 inches of slush and like it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As someone who moved from Charlotte, I'd go with Durham over Raleigh any day. 

• Haha 1

Lol.  Thanks for your support...,uh, will kinda....,ok, maybe not.  I could argue that if this storm was all we get this winter that by February all of you will be crying about it.  So whats wrong with wanting several 4" events? Save the big stuff for the mountains and lets make everyone else in the forum happy.  All you have to do is look at the 4' high piles of snow in my yard to realize I would have happily shared half of that with my fellow Wolfpackers in Raleigh.  (ABC and Dukies go home)  

I understand the excitement of the big dog.  But that big dog leaves a huge mess around the house after the storm too.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

For the first time in a long time, I got to watch mostly rain while my friends to the north got mostly snow. It's just climo. When we are short on precip and we have the cold it almost always works better for my area. My point here is the same as when someone is chastised for Hurricane/Tornado excitement, 0,Zilch nada NO amount of wishing changes the weather. Ya get what ya get. If you don't like it move. I looked hard in Roxboro before deciding on our place in Moncure. Climo was no small consideration. At the end of the day the better property won out. I'll take my 3 inches of slush and like it!

You live in a good "zone". I remember you did well last year in that early January storm; whereas I got about an inch. Then we both did well in the late January storm. Folks south and east of Raleigh have missed out the last few years. I feel (in my bones) that's going to change this year; a coastal plain blizzard is in order. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

You live in a good "zone". I remember you did well last year in that early January storm; whereas I got about an inch. Then we both did well in the late January storm. Folks south and east of Raleigh have missed out the last few years. I feel (in my bones) that's going to change this year; a coastal plain blizzard is in order. 

Raleigh area will always have the 1/25/2000 storm.  I'll never see anything like that at my current location.  But I do tend to cash in on several small events that Raleigh does not, so I cannot and won't complain.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

You are right, Chris and I were talking about my proximity to Sharon Harris in this regard.  I had recently read an article about the effects of nuclear plants around the country on the available moisture in the air.  That cooling pool evaporates a ton of moisture . Hyco lake does the same thing for Roxboro. I also should have added in spite of my whiff this time I am very happy for you guys. There is something truly magic about Dec snow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I feel (in my bones) that's going to change this year; a coastal plain blizzard is in order. 

We're overdue, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Several footer events (1 or more 12"+) is nice and all, but let's hope everyone uses their damn heads and prepare and stay safe in the event we do get it... Snow is pretty, but also deadly, and I hate seeing deaths as a results from it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CyclonicFury said:

FV3 has done well but the Tidbits clown maps need an upgrade. 

It seems that when the p-type was snow and it was below freezing (making close to 10:1) it was actually very close. Some of those huge outputs (over 2" in the piedmont) was more tied to the higher QPF that was originally being forecasted. 

• jburns unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Your logic if flawed for Clemson, SC. You can pick any city out of a hat in Alabama/GA/SC/NC and they have had a bigger snow in the last 25 years than here.

Since 1988 the biggest single snowfall event in Clemson, SC was 5.75 inches on 1/11/2011. Second biggest snowfall in that time period is less than 4 inches.

So in Summary, I'm not just jealous of Asheville, NC. I'm jealous of Columbia, Augusta, Atlanta, Macon, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Birmingham, Athens, Columbus, Charlotte, etc.etc.etc.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FallsLake said:

Can I quote you on that? We'll see how this ages over time..  :drunk::whistle:

• Like 1