Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

4 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

Any room in here?

Seems the western half of the Triangle has cashed in on a few events recently. Charlotte unfortunately remains a battle-line.

Maybe I shouldn't have moved lol

Just dont move to south charlotte/union county.  Even when charlotte cashes in, we get nothing.  Basically always below the snow line...atleast we have been for the 6 years ive lived here

Just now, Dunkman said:

Just want to say I'm glad we can go back to treating the NAM like crap. This new world in which it was a trustworthy and respectable model was not a place I was comfortable living.

It nailed it for me whereas alot of other models were throwing out a couple inches here.  Nam was about the only one saying nothing...which is what i got.  Still seems to be the best one to depict the warm nose

19 minutes ago, JoshWeather said:

Just dont move to south charlotte/union county.  Even when charlotte cashes in, we get nothing.  Basically always below the snow line...atleast we have been for the 6 years ive lived here

I’ve fared a little better here NW of town but have had higher totals all around me since building over here 7 years ago.  Always something whether anemic rates, tiny flake size, sleet, etc.  Kills me as growing up in northern Catawba County always put me on the good size of these kind of storms.  Wife wants to move back home to somewhere around Asheville so hopefully this time next year I’ll be posting from 3000+ feet.

1 hour ago, Dunkman said:

Just want to say I'm glad we can go back to treating the NAM like crap. This new world in which it was a trustworthy and respectable model was not a place I was comfortable living.

I think it seems to have done a decent job still, though?  It still generally showed a good storm for GSO, but it seems to have nailed CLT’s sleet/ZR fest.  At least the warm nose isn’t over performing this time.  Seems like Durham is really doing better than expected, too.

Anyways, looks like 10”+ there, which would have been my biggest storm since 2002.  Quite possibly 12”+, which would have been the biggest storm I’ve ever experienced.  Finally, a storm where the crazy QPF forecasts actually happen!

I’ll have to talk to my parents later and see what it looks like there.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't get my foot of snow for Mooresville, lol. So close to keeping the sleet at bay.  Oh well.  4-5 inches of snow/sleet on the ground in early December is great. We've got a long winter on tap it seems. 

Let's do this again with the same synoptic setup in about a month.  Game on. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KyleEverett said:

Nearly every model but the NAM was too cold for Charlotte and York County to the south. I'm down around exit 77 area and while sleet has mixed in, there's been 0 accumulation of anything.

Every model wasn't too cold for Charlotte if you don't base a model busting or verifying off the clown map predictions which honestly mean nothing in terms of what a model is actually showing.

For instance, some clown maps don't account for warm air above 850mb... some of them don't account for surface temps being above freezing...

As an example: If the GFS is showing a moderate snow sounding at noon with all layers below freezing except the surface temperature is 34 degree's for 3 hours. It's clown maps will show 3 inches of accumulations, but in reality there be 0 accumulation due to the 34 degree surface temperature and solar insolation.

If that verified exactly as the model predicted, there would be 0 accumulation, but Mack would be on here a few hours later crying about how terrible GFS did with his snowstorm.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

I think it seems to have done a decent job still, though?  It still generally showed a good storm for GSO, but it seems to have nailed CLT’s sleet/ZR fest.  At least the warm nose isn’t over performing this time.  Seems like Durham is really doing better than expected, too.

Anyways, looks like 10”+ there, which would have been my biggest storm since 2002.  Quite possibly 12”+, which would have been the biggest storm I’ve ever experienced.  Finally, a storm where the crazy QPF forecasts actually happen!

I’ll have to talk to my parents later and see what it looks like there.

Yeah I thought the NAM done great. RDU coming out pretty good! Congrats Brick and others!

To talk further about this specific storm in charlotte. A lot of models were showing a possible "sleet" sounding, but in reality the low level cold pool may not have been deep enough to freeze the water droplets leading to plain rain.  The skew-T could have been dead accurate by that models prediction, but the clown map/precip type map is not sophisticated enough to read a sounding and accurately describe would is falling from the sky with that sounding at every point location in the region.

So precip type map may show all of charlotte in the sleet color zone, when in reality it's simply raining there, but the model did not bust on it's analysis,(other than the precip type maps).

• Like 1

I can tell you the Fv3GFS absolutely nailed the thermal profile here for our storm and we wound up with 1.25 inches of sleet. If you had simply went by the TT kuchera snowmap for my location it was showing 6 inches of snow right up to the event start time. The map/algorithm just can't accurately describe ground truth and it was just wrong, but all of the measurable air data on the fv3 was accurate, and I got what I expected from the strom based off the fv3 data.

• Like 1

Looking at models it looks like the upstate will miss out on any snow from the upper level low tonight, except possible extreme eastern or southeastern upstate. Some even showing it to our south all the way to the Midlands. While I won't begrudge the Midlands any snow, it would have been nice for some NEGA /western upstaters to get in on that since the warm nose from Hades visited us last night.

5 hours ago, burrel2 said:

Every model wasn't too cold for Charlotte if you don't base a model busting or verifying off the clown map predictions which honestly mean nothing in terms of what a model is actually showing.

For instance, some clown maps don't account for warm air above 850mb... some of them don't account for surface temps being above freezing...

As an example: If the GFS is showing a moderate snow sounding at noon with all layers below freezing except the surface temperature is 34 degree's for 3 hours. It's clown maps will show 3 inches of accumulations, but in reality there be 0 accumulation due to the 34 degree surface temperature and solar insolation.

If that verified exactly as the model predicted, there would be 0 accumulation, but Mack would be on here a few hours later crying about how terrible GFS did with his snowstorm.

Good post. I have No idea why anyone even looks at snow accumulation maps unless temps start below freezing and you know for sure everything will stick. 

5 hours ago, burrel2 said:

To talk further about this specific storm in charlotte. A lot of models were showing a possible "sleet" sounding, but in reality the low level cold pool may not have been deep enough to freeze the water droplets leading to plain rain.  The skew-T could have been dead accurate by that models prediction, but the clown map/precip type map is not sophisticated enough to read a sounding and accurately describe would is falling from the sky with that sounding at every point location in the region.

So precip type map may show all of charlotte in the sleet color zone, when in reality it's simply raining there, but the model did not bust on it's analysis,(other than the precip type maps).

Over ne ga, the hrrr showed too much sleet. It showed gainesvlle getting 6 hours of it but in reality they only got a little bit during the heavier rates. And it showed sleet making down to here and unless there was a little in the heavier showers, i never saw any. It was pretty obvious it was in error as it showed the max temp above ground getting to near 40 at the time it was showing it and the warm layer was deep. 

The fv3 over did the snow a bit a little bit but otherwise did an ok job as  snow got down to cornelia and surrounding areas for an hour or two. Nam on the other hand failed to show it. Nam was too warm yesterday but in the end was about right as far as the lowest temps went.  FV3 was actually a degree or two TOO cold. 

1 hour ago, lilj4425 said:

Yeah. I can’t wait for some cold rain. :axe: Just what we need...more rain. 

lol...What makes it worse is the best chance is further to the south AND the rich will get richer as those who got a lot today will get even more. So that means there could be a zone that has been exceptionally screwed and tortured where they watched areas to the north get snow last night/this morning and then watch areas to the south get some tonight/tomorrow morning.  In my case, I fear i'm going to be in a situation where it's snowing a couple of counties over while it's dry here. I'd be happy just seeing a little bit falling through the air but will be lucky to even get that. 

• jburns unpinned this topic