Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

6 hours ago, burrel2 said:

My streak of never having a 6 inch snowfall at my house is still in tact.... and i'm 32 years old. I've only witnessed one snow over 4 inches, and that was 5.75 inches in January 2011; of course greenville managed 8 inches or snow from that storm.

Edit to add: I don't count Jan 1988 b/c I was 3 years old and don't remember it.

What is your exact location?

I don't think people around here understand just how difficult it is for the western upstate to get over about 5 inches. They see and hear about the upstate getting snow, which we often do in a GA/NC/SC winter system (but it's usually small time), or they hear about Landrum or Gaffney and think well the "upstate " got a lot, but that's eastern.

IMBY, I can think of only 2, 5+ inch snows since the 96 Blizzard; 8 inches from 1/2011, and 5.5 from 1/2016 storm. Just think how many on the board have seen 5+ just this winter. Think how many storms since 96 blizzard have delivered 5+ EAST of GSP in the upstate; MOST systems have yielded that total somewhere in Eastern upstate, but never approached in western. And don't even try to count the number of times areas a few miles north above 2000 ft have seen 5+; dozens? Scores? There is always a monkey wrench; downslopping, warm bubble, dry slot, not in prime lee regeneration area, last to feel frontal cold, gets precip from west just as it dies in situations where a coastal low forms, but too far west to benefit from that coastal low, ULLs push away from mtns, etc, etc. Eastern upstate is just a little bit better in all those situations. This storm was a perfect illustration of many of those. Amazing to see all the 4-6in  totals from Sptbg eastward and look at all the sub one inch totals from clemson westward. But sadly, that is the norm. The only way we can really get a big one is in a true cold over running event (1/88, 1/2011), and those are just extremely rare. Despite the beauty of Pickens and Oconne counties, it's almost enough to make snow lovers want to move. 

9 hours ago, Waiting on snow said:

At least you don't live in CAE. No accumulating snow in 4 years and got f***** again today. Way past the point of ridiculous.

As frustrating as the upstate is, CAE really does have a tough time. I calculated that back in the Dec storm, and it has indeed been almost 4 years w/o measurable snow, that's INCREDIBLE. Every now and then, cola gets a really nice one, but gets blanked a heck of a lot. Not sure why it's so difficult there.

27 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

As frustrating as the upstate is, CAE really does have a tough time. I calculated that back in the Dec storm, and it has indeed been almost 4 years w/o measurable snow, that's INCREDIBLE. Every now and then, cola gets a really nice one, but gets blanked a heck of a lot. Not sure why it's so difficult there.

My belief is because it is in the dead center of the state... mountains zap anything coming from the NW, and it is too far inland to have a significant oceanic moisture tap. I  live 40 miles south of Cola. so I get the benefit of the ocean tap from the Atlantic (5” from the Coastal Crusher and yet Columbia got hardly flurries). 

9 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

What is your exact location?

I don't think people around here understand just how difficult it is for the western upstate to get over about 5 inches. They see and hear about the upstate getting snow, which we often do in a GA/NC/SC winter system (but it's usually small time), or they hear about Landrum or Gaffney and think well the "upstate " got a lot, but that's eastern.

IMBY, I can think of only 2, 5+ inch snows since the 96 Blizzard; 8 inches from 1/2011, and 5.5 from 1/2016 storm. Just think how many on the board have seen 5+ just this winter. Think how many storms since 96 blizzard have delivered 5+ EAST of GSP in the upstate; MOST systems have yielded that total somewhere in Eastern upstate, but never approached in western. And don't even try to count the number of times areas a few miles north above 2000 ft have seen 5+; dozens? Scores? There is always a monkey wrench; downslopping, warm bubble, dry slot, not in prime lee regeneration area, last to feel frontal cold, gets precip from west just as it dies in situations where a coastal low forms, but too far west to benefit from that coastal low, ULLs push away from mtns, etc, etc. Eastern upstate is just a little bit better in all those situations. This storm was a perfect illustration of many of those. Amazing to see all the 4-6in  totals from Sptbg eastward and look at all the sub one inch totals from clemson westward. But sadly, that is the norm. The only way we can really get a big one is in a true cold over running event (1/88, 1/2011), and those are just extremely rare. Despite the beauty of Pickens and Oconne counties, it's almost enough to make snow lovers want to move. 

I Grew up in Walhalla and have lived in Clemson the last 15 years.  Even you guys have scored better storms than my back yard. It's really amazing.  I would venture to guess if you had a map that highlighted area's that haven't received 6 inches of snowfall in the last 25 years. There would be a tiny dot over Southern Pickens and Oconee counties, and then like no other area highlighted anywhere in the southeast. Even lookout has had >6 inch snowfalls.  Here are two examples of my biggest heartbreaks growing up. The second map is January 2nd, 2002. Also, the 2004 map is overdone for my backyard, I got exactly one inch from that one. 

aaa.png

aa.gif

You are right that it's a multi-factor process as to why we always come out on the short end of the stick.

1. Last to get northwest flow Cold air at the surface,(this is the biggest single factor as any storm where we need cold air to arrive in time with precip, everyone around us will do better which is like 50% of winter storms).

2. NW and Westerly flow Down sloping

3. Lee-side trough development precipitation always barely misses us to the East.

4. Always too far West for Coastal bomb precipitation, (exception for 1993 storm where we we're too far East!, #1 factor also hurt us in this storm)

The only way we can score big is with a well-established cold air wedge, but even in those setups Greenville/Spartanburg are a little colder than us!

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

I Grew up in Walhalla and have lived in Clemson the last 15 years.  Even you guys have scored better storms than my back yard. It's really amazing.  I would venture to guess if you had a map that highlighted area's that haven't received 6 inches of snowfall in the last 25 years. There would be a tiny dot over Southern Pickens and Oconee counties, and then like no other area highlighted anywhere in the southeast. Even lookout has had >6 inch snowfalls.  Here are two examples of my biggest heartbreaks growing up. The second map is January 2nd, 2002. Also, the 2004 map is overdone for my backyard, I got exactly one inch from that one. 

aaa.png

aa.gif

My wife and I lived in Seneca (actually in a lake community north of Seneca) from 2003 thru 2006. I remember that 2004 storm! I worked in Anderson at the time - was released from my position early that morning (mod snow in Anderson); but, after driving home to Seneca, snow rates significantly subsided - I think we rec'd about 1/2 inch, at most.

I wanted to stay in Oconee County - amazingly beautiful lakes with easy access to NC mountains (Cashiers, Highlands) - we'd drive up to Highlands at least once a month. However, my wife disliked Seneca/Oconee County (esp after we had our first two children) - then, after a short stay in Chattanooga (and another child!), we moved back to SC, into the city of Greenville - wife is much happier. I have great memories of Lake Keowee and the easy access to mountain activities.

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

You are right that it's a multi-factor process as to why we always come out on the short end of the stick.

1. Last to get northwest flow Cold air at the surface,(this is the biggest single factor as any storm where we need cold air to arrive in time with precip, everyone around us will do better which is like 50% of winter storms).

2. NW and Westerly flow Down sloping

3. Lee-side trough development precipitation always barely misses us to the East.

4. Always too far West for Coastal bomb precipitation, (exception for 1993 storm where we we're too far East!, #1 factor also hurt us in this storm)

The only way we can score big is with a well-established cold air wedge, but even in those setups Greenville/Spartanburg are a little colder than us!

Absolutely correct on all points - now that I live in Greenville, I seem to receive more ice/snow.

3 hours ago, burrel2 said:

aaa.png

aa.gif

Yep. And there are countless examples. Christmas 2010, we have warm surface temps, snows all day but I got like an inch and a half. Ramps up big east of here, Gaffney got like 10 inches. I grew up in Dacusville and they seem to do better  for whatever reason, but still..Definitely a strange little hole over here, wish it would go away. I lived in Taylors for a few years and def did better over there, and we aren't talking about great winters either.

12 hours ago, burrel2 said:

aaa.png

aa.gif

Wasn’t 1/23/2003 also projected to hit there before the last 24 hours?

Brad P dropping stupidity on FB. Said he made a decent call on the storm!??? His excuse was cold air got there faster and produced 20:1 ratios, instead of the normal 8:1! Guess all that cold air is why it started as rain?

Lol wut!?? You the man Brad, you the man! Tuesday he was still saying an inch was all he was expecting!??? LMAO

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Brad P dropping stupidity on FB. Said he made a decent call on the storm!??? His excuse was cold air got there faster and produced 20:1 ratios, instead of the normal 8:1! Guess all that cold air is why it started as rain?

Lol wut!?? You the man Brad, you the man! Tuesday he was still saying an inch was all he was expecting!??? LMAO

Hey... 70% of the time, he's right every time!

16 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

Wasn’t 1/23/2003 also projected to hit there before the last 24 hours?

Oh yea, that was the worst one of the bunch. Nary a flurry fell at my house in Walhalla. My high school teacher who lived in pickens county had an inch or so on her car that morning when she pulled in to work. Of course Greenville to Spartanburg got hammered.

13 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I think their official snow amount will be 6.1". They received .2 after midnight yesterday:

**for some reason I can't past right now.

That would be good.  I was hoping we could get the monkey off the back this year.  It's hard to believe that they didn't get more than six, given their location and all of the reports of greater than that near that area.

59 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

That would be good.  I was hoping we could get the monkey off the back this year.  It's hard to believe that they didn't get more than six, given their location and all of the reports of greater than that near that area.

Yep, officially 6.1". They had 1.2 before this storm and now the from Dec 1st total is 7.3. Below are totals for the last two days:

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
<THIS IS FOR YESTERDAY>
SNOWFALL (IN)
  YESTERDAY        0.2           3.0  2000   0.1    0.1      0.0
  MONTH TO DATE    7.0                       1.6    5.4      0.5
  SINCE DEC 1      7.3                       2.2    5.1      0.5
  SINCE JUL 1      7.3                       2.3    5.0      0.5
  SNOW DEPTH       6

<And here is Wednesday>

SNOWFALL (IN)